6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Today is the day........

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 01:37 PM
STOF-FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
We have a gain setting in the trailer options of our 17's too Steve. Low, medium, and high. What do you have yours at? Oh, and just texted you but what bed cover are you running. Comparing options on replacing my trifold now.
Actually, I don't remember which setting (low, medium, high) I set it on. i'm actually in Rotterdam today so I can't run out front and check. I won't be back from Europe for two weeks. Some retirement, hung.?

Tonneau is Truxedo Titanium and we love it.

Old 08-15-2017, 01:42 PM
STOF-FORD
Fleet Mechanic

DRV sends all theirs out with 8k axles and 114's but they can go 24k easy. Steve's got the truck for one and will be upgrading to their Full House toy hauler soon...
So we're not there yet, but we've been looking at quite a few '16 DRV's on the web. Honestly, if we make a change, I think it will be to an Elite Suite or Mobile Suite. I think we've just about talked ourselves out of another toy hauler.

Old 08-15-2017, 03:38 PM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 922 Likes on 331 Posts
Originally Posted by STOF-FORD
So we're not there yet, but we've been looking at quite a few '16 DRV's on the web. Honestly, if we make a change, I think it will be to an Elite Suite or Mobile Suite. I think we've just about talked ourselves out of another toy hauler.
And so the list of mods starts all over again...! I'm just now getting my Cardinal where I want it. Not sure I could could go through all that again! Good luck in what ever you decide Steve!

Old 08-15-2017, 06:26 PM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
Received 433 Likes on 138 Posts
We have a gain setting in the trailer options of our 17's too Steve. Low, medium, and high. What do you have yours at? Oh, and just texted you but what bed cover are you running. Comparing options on replacing my trifold now.
I'm not Steve, but I love the Truxedo LoPro on mine. I'm on my third, and haven't had a problem with any of them. The roll up easy and can be removed in a minute or less. The one on my '17 isn't as water tight due to the way the tailgate seal is. The previous trucks closed under the cover, but due to the tailgate, the '17 closes up against the seal. Still, it really only leaks at the car wash and extremely heavy rains.

Old 08-15-2017, 06:32 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,198 Likes on 573 Posts
I'm between the Peragon and the Truxedo Titanium Tom. Both have features I like. The Truxedo leaves the bed open underneath with no hardware to funk up hanging under the bedrails but looks less than pretty rolled up. It also blocks some of your rear window view when rolled up. The Peragon looks like it's not even there when folded in but has funky hardware and takes up some decent bed space when folded too. I've been 100% sure about 100 times so far tonight. Both are in the cart ready to submit...

Old 08-15-2017, 08:14 PM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
I was going to go with the Peragon, but didn't like the hardware and loss of bed space.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:31 PM
STOF-FORD
Fleet Mechanic
I'm between the Peragon and the Truxedo Titanium Tom. Both have features I like. The Truxedo leaves the bed open underneath with no hardware to funk up hanging under the bedrails but looks less than pretty rolled up. It also blocks some of your rear window view when rolled up. The Peragon looks like it's not even there when folded in but has funky hardware and takes up some decent bed space when folded too. I've been 100% sure about 100 times so far tonight. Both are in the cart ready to submit...
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
I was going to go with the Peragon, but didn't like the hardware and loss of bed space.
Tom and Rodney, It's funny how we all go through the same thought processes on this (and many other) decisions. Initially, I really wanted something that rolled up below the bed rail level to keep the appearance clean. But when I saw how much bed room I would have to give up to do that, I just couldn't go there. I have a Weather Guard 20" truck box in the front of the bed and I would have needed to push it back towards the fifth wheel quite a ways. Plus, all the space below the roll-up and in front of the truck box would have been wasted.

I went with the Truxedo Titanium after having my dealer try two other types (fold ups) on my truck. They just blocked the view from the bed camera too much. I can certainly see the Titanium in the bed camera view, but it does not block the view of the fifth wheel at all. I'm not certain if that geometry would be different on a short bed. It's possible it could interfere some, but I just can't be sure. On the long bed, I have clear view over the top of the rolled up Titanium to the fifth wheel.

As far as water and sealing is concerned. The Titanium lands well on top of the tailgate and seals nicely. I've seen no evidence of water incursion when closed. One word of caution, don't latch the Titanium cover down and then close the tailgate. I did that the first day and the rubber seal was pinched at the sides of the tailgate and prevented it from releasing at it's latches. I actually had to take the truck back to the dealer to get it open. I have not made that mistake again.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:37 PM
STOF-FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by djousma
And so the list of mods starts all over again...! I'm just now getting my Cardinal where I want it. Not sure I could could go through all that again! Good luck in what ever you decide Steve!
Oddly enough, that's pretty much where my wife started out on this discussion. However, the more I get her to look at floor plans and pics of the DVR's the more she is coming around. This may take some time to get her fully on board. We'll see.

If I had the winning lotto ticket, I'd just fly back to Howe, Indiana and spec a new one exactly the way I want it. I've not minded all the projects on our Spartan too much at this point. But I guess I'm getting to where I'd rather be using it than working on it.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:38 PM
System
Prolocutor
So, you can't close the tailgate without having the tonneau open Steve? That would be a deal breaker for me. And here I was about to click submit on the Truxedo order... Dang it...

Old 08-15-2017, 10:43 PM
STOF-FORD
Fleet Mechanic
So, you can't close the tailgate without having the tonneau open Steve? That would be a deal breaker for me. And here I was about to click submit on the Truxedo order... Dang it...
Rodney, It's not really an issue. You can latch and unlatch the last section (6") of the cover with one hand. I do it all the time. You just release the cover latch and it pops up an inch or two before closing the tailgate. Then push down and latch the cover. Otherwise, there is no way for the seal to ride on top of the tailgate and keep water out. If you close the tailgate first, the seal is pushed inside the front of the tailgate and lets water in.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:46 PM
System
Prolocutor
I'm starting to wonder if I should have sold my Trifecta...LOL. Just open and close the tailgate at will with it's bulb seal. Never any water inside.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:51 PM
STOF-FORD
Fleet Mechanic
I'm starting to wonder if I should have sold my Trifecta...LOL. Just open and close the tailgate at will with it's bulb seal. Never any water inside.
Can't help you with that question. I guess it's all about what you get used to.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:53 PM
STOF-FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Rodney,I meant to ask you, how does the "low - medium - high" setting interact with the "1 - 10" setting? Are these different ranges? and what are you using?

Old 08-16-2017, 05:52 AM
System
Prolocutor
Got it on medium right now Steve. The manual says low is the default setting and fine for most setups. I switched mine out of curiosity but I'm not sure if I can tell the difference.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:15 AM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
A note on the Truxedo Titanium...I considered that cover as well (can't remember why I ruled it out now). I think you can buy it from Ford and it comes with the Ford oval you can see when it is rolled up against the cab.

Quick Reply: Today is the day........