1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

1977 f-250 highboy resoration progress with pics!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 07:03 AM
breezesboy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1977 f-250 highboy resoration progress with pics!

the way I received it. $5000 in silver traded for it, and shipped from Arizona

I got excited and bought plugs wires and a new carb just so I could drive it a couple weeks before stripping it down

Best $250 ever spent

Grill and radiator out

front clip removed

Child labor removing window regulator

Aussie heads on their way to Tim Meyer

He might have had a little help. but he took all the credit

ugh...

this was harder than I thought....legs from the crane and legs from the stand got in each others way. the 351m prior to rebuild

My son removing motor mounts

Found a bent rod intake cylinder 4

lost a battle with a breaker bar

My son replacing my NP-435

Old 03-25-2015, 08:59 AM
Beedub109r
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
That is One Solid Starting Point!

Wow! Nice truck to start with! It's amazing what trucks are like out of Arizona. It's awesome to see the truck with the in-cab filler still in place. Your truck is identical to mine. I wonder how close our serial numbers are. Are you building the 351M back up? Mine was a 400 stock but I have the 460 now. Great rig and I look forward to your progress!

One thing I have noticed is, our parts are difficult to decipher from other rigs meaning, I often put 76 F250 into search criteria to find parts as most the websites kick you right into 78-79 parts which don't work for us.

Another thing I've noticed is, 351M/400 mod parts like headers, etc. are WAAAAAAY cheaper that their 429/460 counterparts so, keep that in mind for you swap pondering. Are you planning new gears? I have the 4.11's and I want to go to 3.73's for highway driving.

Keep up the good work! Something tells me that little guy there has dibs on that rig in a few years!

Old 03-25-2015, 09:07 AM
breezesboy
Senior User
I worked with Tim Meyer and bought all parts according to his recommendations. Im going with the 351m block (I needed a new one) dropping in a 400 crank with aussie heads and pistons sized 040 over. Fenderwell headers, voodoo cam and performer intake with scorpion roller rockers. Cant wait

Old 03-25-2015, 09:13 AM
Beedub109r
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds Great!

I wonder if the shoulder belt set up was an option in 77. I don't have the set-up that you do. I just have lap belts. Are you gonna run an X or H pipe? I am gonna be putting on fender exit headers too and I'm curious as to the pipe configuration outside the frame. I am also jealous as to the fact that you can get your rig in your garage. My truck is stock height but will not fit in the Kansas Typical garage door! I friggin hate working in the driveway as all my neighbors see me out there and come drink my beer.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:36 AM
breezesboy
Senior User
Ive not gotten that far in my planning. Its in my garage but my wifes car has been booted out, So I get that "disappointed" look when its raining out lol, nothing I cant fix with an umbrella and 2 minutes of my time. We live in housing that wont let vehicles be worked on in the driveway.....Dumbest thing I have ever heard of. We pay a commission 250 dollars a year to tell me im not allowed to do anything with my property lol. means to an end I suppose

Old 03-26-2015, 03:49 AM
taxreliever77
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by breezesboy
Ive not gotten that far in my planning. Its in my garage but my wifes car has been booted out, So I get that "disappointed" look when its raining out lol, nothing I cant fix with an umbrella and 2 minutes of my time. We live in housing that wont let vehicles be worked on in the driveway.....Dumbest thing I have ever heard of. We pay a commission 250 dollars a year to tell me im not allowed to do anything with my property lol. means to an end I suppose
Lots of those housing associations in CA also.....I've seen some where you have to have a certain color paint, door, windows, etc......only approved plants outside....crazy.

Anyways, the thing I love about this build more than anything is that you and your son can experience this together....that would be worth the entire build; you just get a nicely restored truck in the end as a bonus! Something I'd like to do with my boys when they get old enough.

Congrats.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:10 AM
4x4slik
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There never to young to help. Mine started helping me when he was a toddler. Of course his idea of helping was tossing my sockets into the yard and driveway. Never did find half of them.

Go to the FTE home page, you can read about a couple that is being sued by HOA because they bought a truck and parked it in the driveway. Not an old project truck either, a fairly new one.

I made several decisions when I was much younger. After living with my older brother and his family in an apartment building, I decided I would never live in an apartment again. And I haven't. I also decided I would either live in the country or a small town. Luckily my wife grew up on a farm so that wasn't a struggle.

Nice looking truck, excited to see the progress.

Old 03-26-2015, 12:52 PM
breezesboy
Senior User

all out

yuck

dash out

Yea I have 4 boys, one handicap so 3 that could help. My 12 year old has to be forced....not the best when it comes to mechanical aptitude. My 6 year old Finn though....he loves it, wants to get his hands dirty on everything here are some pictures of what I did today, dash out and wiring harness removed.

Old 03-26-2015, 02:36 PM
hickory1991
Fleet Mechanic

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
Save your courtesy lights. I had to buy some as mine didn't have them to start with.

Old 03-26-2015, 03:40 PM
Bud Mud
Laughing Gas
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by breezesboy

all out

yuck

dash out

Yea I have 4 boys, one handicap so 3 that could help. My 12 year old has to be forced....not the best when it comes to mechanical aptitude. My 6 year old Finn though....he loves it, wants to get his hands dirty on everything here are some pictures of what I did today, dash out and wiring harness removed.
hey,theres a broken wire right there,beside that one,under those 2 others. LOL. My truck is a twin to yours except mines has an C6 tranny. Glad to see the rebuild with the boy's. GREAT JOB!

Old 03-26-2015, 04:43 PM
breezesboy
Senior User
Ha ha! got it! what would I do without help from you guys on this forum? Thanks Bud Mud!

Old 03-26-2015, 07:36 PM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Man that truck is a beauty. Even before the resto. Also can anyone think of a better way to bond with your kids? I know I can't. Subscribed to follow.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:15 PM
rougeriver
Fleet Mechanic
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
This is a restoration project I'm going to really enjoy following. Awesome job so far, great helpers you got there!!!

That chunk out of your finger gave me the *******! OUCH!

David

Old 03-27-2015, 04:12 AM
breezesboy
Senior User
daily update

Not a whole lot is going to get done on this today. I am having the windshield and rear cab window taken out today, Going to run to the machine shop and give them the Tim Meyer oil passage mods, and hopefully start clipping off connectors from my old harness.....Will post pics later today. thanks for following guys, makes this all the more fun!

verse of the day, 2 Timothy 3:16-17 16All scripture is given by inspiration of God and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17Thant the man of God may be perfect, Throughly furnished unto all good works.

Old 03-27-2015, 01:22 PM
breezesboy
Senior User

The only thing that got done today was the glass out.

I'll be buying a new front windshield, but no big deal it had cracks anyway

Quick Reply: 1977 f-250 highboy resoration progress with pics!