1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

OT - summer road trip

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 09:15 PM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
OT - summer road trip

Two years ago my girlfriend and I drove from San Antonio, Texas, to Lake Tahoe. We had a great time that is somewhat documented in this thread: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...car-215-a.html

Last time we went west so this year we are going east. We are going to the Easter National Early Ford V8 Club meet in Charlotte North Carolina. The meet runs from June 8 to June 11.

We have planned the route going to the meet, but we haven't planned the route home. We are thinking about heading northwest from Charlotte and driving the Cherohala Skyway. We also want to watch a movie at a drive in theater.
What all do ya'll recommend we do or see on our way back to Texas?
Also, what do ya'll recommend we skip?

Here is the car we will be traveling in (the car is back together again as of last weekend):

Old 03-09-2015, 09:31 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Im in Utah so no help from me. Although i will be anxious to follow along with your adventure much like I did with your last one.

Good luck and im sure you'll have a blast.

I love your car btw.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:33 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 608 Likes on 378 Posts
Sounds like a really fun trip! What did you do to the car, new rear gears? I was thinking you had OD?

Old 03-09-2015, 09:34 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Well, there is a single screen old time drive in in Sparta, Tn. They show feature films on the weekends. It's located about 100 miles N/W of the Cherohala Skyway.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:40 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
If you decide to run the Cherohala Skyway, keep in touch. You'll go within a few miles of me. Certainly a good chance to meet FTF. If you come off the Skyway on a Saturday, I'll buy you one of the best pizzas to be had anywhere.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:48 PM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
jmadsen - thanks! The car looks better in pictures than it really is. I'm slowly redoing it starting with the mechanicals. The paint and interior are getting a bit used if you look close.

Ross - long story: yes new rear gear. Actually a complete different axle. I had a worn stock axle with 3.90 gears. Finding a NOS set of 4.10 gears didn't happen so I got a Maverick axle modified so it bolted into my sedan. New gears, seals, and bearings.
I have OD, but not the torque to pull a hill in overdrive. I lost a bit of grunt when the engine got rebuilt. I switched from a 0.062 over block to a 0.030 over block. I think I also lost a bit of compression since the few cubes I lost shouldn't make that much difference.
At the same time as the axle work I yanked the transmission out and swapped out the clutch. I put a new clutch kit in when I had the engine rebuilt. That clutch had more chatter than any other clutch I have owned. I took a NOS disk I found, the old pressure plate, and another flywheel to San Antonio Brake and Clutch. They surface the flywheel and rebuilt the pressure plate. The new combination is one of the smoothest clutches I have had in an old Ford.
Lastly I did an almost complete brake job. Since I was putting in complete new brakes I also did the front brakes and master cylinder. I switched to Dot 5 at the same time.

Joe - thanks, we will look into that.

Ray - thanks for the offer, we will keep in touch.