1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Fuel system e350 7.3L turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 01:14 PM
ben harpo
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel system e350 7.3L turbo

Hi I have a 1997 e350 with 7.3L powerstroke engine. I'm not getting it to start in this cold weather. The next thing I want to do is check the fuel return line. But I'm having trouble finding/identifying it. I may also add diesel 911 fluid to the fuel filter. But I am likewise having trouble finding/identifying the fuel filter.

I purchased both the 911 fluid and ISO-heet fluid. Is there any concern about using these fluids?

Old 02-25-2015, 03:06 PM
jayro88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by ben harpo
Hi I have a 1997 e350 with 7.3L powerstroke engine. I'm not getting it to start in this cold weather. The next thing I want to do is check the fuel return line. But I'm having trouble finding/identifying it. I may also add diesel 911 fluid to the fuel filter. But I am likewise having trouble finding/identifying the fuel filter.

I purchased both the 911 fluid and ISO-heet fluid. Is there any concern about using these fluids?
Where are you located and what temps are you experiencing? Are you plugging it in over night?

I drive an IDI, not a PowerStroke, but on mine the place to start with a no start in cold weather is the glow plug system. Our temps have been staying pretty low with morning time being 0*f or lower. I always add a double dose or the white/winter Power Service for temps that low and have not had any gelling issues. With mine plugged in at home it always fires off easily regardless of the temp. Last week I was forced to park it elsewhere and leave it unplugged. It was -5*f when I went to start it. My digital coolant tempt gauge said the coolant temp was 3*f. I had to cycle the GP system a number of times, but got it running.

I think the PowerStroke GP system is supposed to be better than the IDI system, so as long as your fuel is okay I would start their. Not sure how your fuel pump works, but if it runs constant when the key is in the ON position you can always dump in the Diesel 911 and let it circulate that way. You can always use a blow drier to heat the filter and IP as well. I have never tried it, but others have said that having a blow drier blowing hot air into the intake can help with cold starts too.

Your best bet would probably be to ask over in the Power Stroke forum.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:35 PM
blageurt
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The fuel filter is inside the filterbowl assembly which is in the middle of the engine valley in front of the fuel pump (It has a Black Plastic lid that unscrews )...the return line is the highest line ( metal ) coming from the pump and going towards the Drivers side valve cover...Definitely plug it in as Jayro88 suggested , and see if it makes a difference...BUT the usual problem is the Glow Plug relay and or the glow plugs....There is also a shreader Valve on the drivers side of the filterbowl bowl which you can test pressure...It should be 14-20 psi while cranking.....If you need pictures PM me your email and I will send them to you....

Old 02-27-2015, 12:57 PM
blageurt
Fleet Mechanic
Old 03-06-2015, 07:48 PM
ben harpo
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wasn't sure if I had glow plugs or an outlet to plug the van into. I still haven't found the outlet. The glow plugs are supposed to start ticking after the key has been on for one minute. I heard them do that once, and since then they tick 3 times really fast at the one minute mark then stop. I probably need a new relay.

I found the fuel filter, and had to remove an air chamber to get to it. Could somebody please explain how this air chamber works.

In the process of getting to everything I cracked a worn out neoprene elbow which connects the turbo to the rest of the air intake assembly. The local parts stores don't carry it and I can't seem to pull it up online. The part I need is an orange neoprene elbow slightly bigger diameter on one side than the other. It has a number 182012102 on it.

Anybody know where to get one?

Old 03-07-2015, 11:20 AM
blageurt
Fleet Mechanic
The "Chamber" is called a Resonator ...It does nothing....It is supposed to eliminated Intake " Drone "...whoever designed it needs to smoke better weed....as you know you need to remove it to change the fuel filter....WTF ? So, I threw mine away about 6 years ago...I used a 2" PVC plumbing pipe and a PVC Cap and glued them together and stuck it in the hole where the POS resonator was.....As far as the Elbow goes you can get it a few places...I got my spare at a Junkyard...It is the Black Upgraded one...You can get it from Ford....It was standard on the 98-2003 7.3 Vans OR you can get a silicone one from these guys...Riffraff Diesel 94-97 Turbo Intake Boot - Riffraff Diesel Performance.