Sponsored by: Moser

5.0 Coyote Tapping/ Ticking/ Knocking

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 08:54 PM
fiveohpatrol
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbo Dog
That's what I was thinking, but the mustang does have a different intake cam. I also noticed the adds say that the truck 5.0 has the alternator farther out to the side. I would hate to have to swap the timing cover on a brand new fresh crate motor.
You definitely would if you wanted it all to stay the way it was from the factory. I've gone the other way, a junkyard f150 coyote in a mustang and I changed the timing cover to a mustang one for better fit. I'll tell ya though, these truck motors in a 3000 lb mustang drive really nice

Old 10-11-2017, 08:04 AM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Then I won't worry about it being a mustang 5.0...maybe even consider building one instead of a crate motor. How would I know if the crate motor bores are correct?

Old 10-18-2017, 03:19 AM
Swissfamily517
New User
So what now.

I have a 2012 f150 5.0 at around 80,000 I have inherited this problem. I have a warranty through a dealership not a ford warranty but their warranty. I mean i guess I know to go there and talk to them but has anyone been in my situation. Any chance ford helps me out? Is this a for sire problem where im going to find pcs of bearing in my oil like said gentleman above? Any input is awesome!

Last edited by Swissfamily517; 11-03-2017 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Delete contact
Old 10-18-2017, 08:43 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Swissfamily517
Any chance ford helps me out?
Sadly, if you are out of the Ford warranty then probably not. Even when you are, they basically say to "go to your local dealer".

I'd work with you dealer you purchased the warranty from.

Old 10-18-2017, 12:04 PM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 342 Likes on 208 Posts
If I had a truck with the rod knock issue, and I had exhausted all efforts to get Ford to repair it and they would not, then what I would do is switch to a slightly higher viscosity oil and drive the truck until it quits, THEN replace the engine.

Lots of guys have driven a lot of miles with the knock. And as time goes on, Coyote engines will be more plentiful and less expensive in salvage yards.

Old 10-18-2017, 05:29 PM
maytag906
Posting Guru
with 80,000 on the clock, and 5 years old, you will get 0 help from Ford.

Old 10-21-2017, 09:00 PM
Jmoore249
New User
2011 5.0 ticking

Crystal I live in east Tn and I have a 2011 5.0 with 107000 miles on it. Talked to the service manager and said they haven't heard of any problems with these engines ticking. Do I have any options on getting this problem fixed with out a lot of out of pocket money

Old 10-22-2017, 07:01 AM
maytag906
Posting Guru
Too old, and too many miles. good luck!

Old 10-23-2017, 12:59 PM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
I keep listening to my 5.0 and I don't always hear the ticking noise. Is it more prevalent when the engine is hot or cold?

Old 10-23-2017, 01:51 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Turbo Dog
I keep listening to my 5.0 and I don't always hear the ticking noise. Is it more prevalent when the engine is hot or cold?
For me, it was after a cold start (sitting overnight) and driving about 2-3 miles. Then if you were in gear and loaded up the transmission you could hear it banging away.

It would not always do it when full hot or full cold.

Old 10-23-2017, 02:44 PM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
OK, that may not be the noise I was hearing. I can't hear it in the cab, only if I'm outside next to the engine area. I think it might just be one of the fuel injectors that I am hearing from time to time.

Thanks

Old 10-23-2017, 02:54 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
I posted a video of it earlier in this thread if you want to have a listen:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post17107595

Old 11-03-2017, 01:36 PM
Swissfamily517
New User
Update: So what Now?

Recently posted about said problem and that it was out of ford warranty. I got lucky, my 3rd party warranty is coming through on a remanufactured motor from ford I was told. It's a ford dealership doing the work. Any chance i face this problem again with a reman though? Thanks for the help also!

Old 11-03-2017, 04:44 PM
Adrian Cavlan
New User
Caught just in time!

Originally Posted by bigdaddyII
I have commented on a couple of threads concerning engine noises particularly on the 5.0 liter engine. I recently went through an ordeal of sorts with my own truck and wanted to start a thread that may help others search out and gain info on this issue. I will also include some potato quality pictures of the final service ticket at the end of this post.

I bought my truck new in July of 2012. The oil was changed every 5,000 miles or roundabouts. Somewhere between the 10,000 mile and the 15,000 mile oil change it started tapping lightly and intermittently. I mentioned this to the dealership at the 15,000 mile service and they checked it but could not reproduce the noise. I took to google and searched. I found lots of documented cases of such noise on these engines but no solutions.

Around 35,000 miles the noise became more pronounced, and constant when engine was warm. At the 40,000 mile service I had the dealership check it again and was told it was normal. I searched again and found much of the same that I had found before concerning the 5.0 trucks. The one exception was on a forum where a member posted pictures of the service receipt from his brothers truck where the engine was replaced. His sentiment was that his brother abused the truck though. I also found out that the Mustangs were having lots of the same noises.

To clarify, from what I was able to find out, these noises manifest themselves in many different forms. For example, I have watched trucks on Youtube videos that had outright knocking noises. My truck only had a light metallic tapping only at hot idle and louder in gear. I heard a member on here describe his truck as sounding like the metal ends of 2 screwdrivers were being hit together, this is the best description I could think of for my truck. It wasn't overly loud and you might not notice it if you weren't looking for it. In a drive through or against a wall though, it sounded like a little man under the hood beating on anything metal with a hammer and it was very noticeable. At this point I let it be though because it didn't affect the truck otherwise, power never decreased, it ran great and didn't lose any more oil then it did since new (1/2 quart between 5,000 miles changes). It just seemed to be a noise.

A few months ago I was approaching 60,000 miles. I watched a video on Youtube that was put out by a Ford Tech. I wont mention his name but he is around on this forum.The video was a time lapse of him replacing a 5.0 liter engine. The comments of course asked why was it replaced. He replied that it was due to an excessive tapping/ knocking noise. This of course piqued my attention and I sent him a message over Facebook describing my noise and symptoms. His reply to me urged me to take the truck to the dealership before my 60,000 powertrain warranty was expired because Ford discovered that cylinder 4 on this engine is prone to warping with the symptoms being odd noises. This engine is apparently supposed to be whisper quite. Ford now had knowledge of this and it was available to the dealers as well.

Unfortunately I was past my 60,000 mile powertrain when I was able to get it to the dealership. Luckily I had an extended service plan. I brought it in for its 60,000 mile service and told the adviser I wanted that noise checked again as I knew Ford no longer considered this noise to be normal. He told me that he would hold off on the oil change because chances were the tech would have to get inside the engine to chase down and fix this noise. I left the truck with them and rented a car. Even though I was only a couple hundred miles over the 60,000 warranty, they were going to claim this on my extended warranty which I opted out of rental car coverage for.

Two days later I received a call saying that it was a lifter that wasn't pumping up once the engine warmed up. The parts were ordered and should be in the next day.

Without going into too much detail, the parts for the lifter came in but a timing chain guide also needed to be replaced and a supplier was slow to ship. After a week and a half I visited the dealership and had a "heart to heart" with the service manager which resulted in me returning my rental which had accrued me $500 in charges and driving one of their loaner cars.

About a week later I received a call from the service manager who asked me if I was sitting down upon me answering the phone. After I sat down and took an asprin for preventative measures he explained that they had my truck all put back together but a knock from the bottom end developed. There was bearing material in the oil pan and cylinder #4 was scored. He had already ordered a new short block and would update me when it arrived and work began on it.

3-4 days later I called just to check on things and he told me that a Ford adjuster was dispatched and had been by to visit and wanted to put a long block in due to the valve train trouble they had found previously. He would get their final decision the next day.

They next day he called and said that they approved a long block. That was a week ago and I picked up my truck today. It is now whisper quite and I feel weird driving it. It appears that my decision to purchase my extended warranty from Troy on here was a solid decision as this whole ordeal would have ended up costing upwards of the $8222.24 listed on the invoice.

I hope I didn't bore anyone too bad with my little story here, but maybe someone still in warranty will read this and press their dealership to fix their truck on Fords dime, whose screw up it is in the first place. Good luck to my friends on here who own 5 liters making this noise and are fighting with their dealerships already.

Attachment 198162

Attachment 198163
Thanks so much for this!

I just bought this truck used a few weeks ago. When I was checking it out it was already nice and warmed up, so the noise wasn't presenting itself as it does when starting from cold and for the first few minutes of driving. Not much of a noise, either, but just enough to make you question whether all was "right" under the hood.

Your post ended up encouraging me to bring mine in for a final checkup w/ 250 mi. to go before out of warranty, and as luck would have it, they have found the issue and will be doing about $3k of work to try to fix.

I will attempt to post updates here as I get them. Will be about a week until I see it again.

Anyway - please wish me luck and THANKS!

Adrian

Old 11-04-2017, 05:13 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Swissfamily517
Any chance i face this problem again with a reman though? Thanks for the help also!
Knock on wood, my remain block has not had the issue return.

Originally Posted by Adrian Cavlan
they have found the issue and will be doing about $3k of work to try to fix.
Glad you were able to catch while still in warranty. Will be interested to see what they do for 3k worth of work. The only way to fix Is replacement short block at a minimum. Many are getting complete remain units and the repair bill is around 9k.

Quick Reply: 5.0 Coyote Tapping/ Ticking/ Knocking