Sponsored by:

'92 351W timing question

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 09:30 PM
'92BigBronco
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '92 351W timing question

Hi All. I'm new to the forum....Looks great!!

Just a quick question regarding the inline spout connector. I recently changed the timing chain and gears on my '92 Bronco with the 351W. According to the shop manual, I need to re-set the base timing by unplugging the ISC and adjusting the timing. Easy....or so I thought!

When I pull the ISC (the gray plug on the driver side inside fender wall) the timing is unaffected and the mark on the damper pulley is not near the pointer. It is my understanding that there should be a grounding bar in the inline spout connector to short the two pins...allowing the electronic advance to operate but my connector has no grounding bar.

My question is, shouldn't there be a grounding bar in the ISC?? Doesn't make any sense to have to unplug it if it's not doing anything. As it is right now, the gray plug is basically a dust cover!!!

Any ideas???

Old 07-22-2003, 11:07 PM
bigric
Fleet Mechanic
'92 351W timing question

Does the spout connector that's wired to the vehicle have two contacts inside it? It seems unlikely, but did the grey shorting block come apart and leave the circuit connected?

Old 07-23-2003, 01:23 AM
'92BigBronco
Junior User
'92 351W timing question

Yes, the spout connector does have two contacts where the pins in the gray plug should plug into it.

I must be getting advance or it would not run as well as it does now. It seems weird to me!! I'm using an inductive timing light on the number one plug wire, but the timing mark is no where near where it's supposed to be....which takes me back to that inline spout connector.

Old 07-23-2003, 07:46 PM
jeep8589
Mountain Pass
'92 351W timing question

Even with the spout connector in your base timing should be 17 degress which should still be in the range you can see with the timing light. Taking out the spout connector should put it around 10 degrees. This is at idle of course around 750rpms. These are the stock settings. If it is runnning you have to be somewhere close.

Old 07-24-2003, 11:42 PM
steve83
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'92 351W timing question

Read the instructions on the emissions sticker, and confirm that the outer ring of the harmonic balancer hasn't spun. It's pressed on over a rubber ring, so it CAN happen. I pull the #1 plug, bump the engine until it starts to blow my thumb off the hole, then put a drinking straw in the hole to see when the piston reaches TDC. If the mark on the balancer isn't DEAD on 0°, make a new mark that's HIGHLY visible and use that.