1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

1996 7.3 Ground up restoration / upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 07:44 AM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow! I wish my dad would have done stuff like this with us kids. Rebuilt the 9N, and didn't even try to involve us. Looking good! Can't wait to start on mine, so Byron, you aren't the only one getting motivated!

Old 02-23-2015, 03:34 PM
skipb88
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 02-23-2015, 03:35 PM
skipb88
Freshman User
well....there it is!

Old 02-23-2015, 03:54 PM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Looks nice! Very minimal rust from the looks of it!

Old 02-23-2015, 08:15 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Yeah, it sure looks rust free!

Just curious, but what is the plate bolted to the outside of the frame rail? Is that part of the gooseneck hitch that is on the truck? I don't know that I've ever seen one that had a plate with it for the outside of the frame rail.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:44 PM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 520 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
Yeah, it sure looks rust free!

Just curious, but what is the plate bolted to the outside of the frame rail? Is that part of the gooseneck hitch that is on the truck? I don't know that I've ever seen one that had a plate with it for the outside of the frame rail.
That is a B&W turnover goosneck hitch, or one of the copies of it.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:30 AM
skipb88
Freshman User
Originally Posted by farmert
That is a B&W turnover goosneck hitch, or one of the copies of it.

yea that is my B&W turnover gooseneck.

overall the truck is pretty rust free. There is one crossmember all the way in the back that if I could find a replacement I probably would. Its not that bad, but its not that good either. when I dropped my rear tank it did have a hole that just went through, so I do need another tank.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:32 AM
skipb88
Freshman User
I have asked it before and didn't get any feedback, maybe someone will see this that has dealt with it....

Has anyone installed a High steer kit for the dana 60? I was looking at a few different kits and I defiantly want to install one...didn't know if there was one out there that was preferred more than others?

Old 02-24-2015, 06:39 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 401 Likes on 270 Posts
Good progress.looks like fun.
Sorry I can't help on the high steer kit.
How much are you lifting it to need that?

Old 02-24-2015, 07:02 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by skipb88
yea that is my B&W turnover gooseneck.

overall the truck is pretty rust free. There is one crossmember all the way in the back that if I could find a replacement I probably would. Its not that bad, but its not that good either. when I dropped my rear tank it did have a hole that just went through, so I do need another tank.
Are you going to go with another stock rear tank or are you going to look to upgrade for a little more capacity? There are 33 and 38 gallon rear tanks that can be used instead of the stock 19 gallon rear, if you decide to go that route.

I have asked it before and didn't get any feedback, maybe someone will see this that has dealt with it....

Has anyone installed a High steer kit for the dana 60? I was looking at a few different kits and I defiantly want to install one...didn't know if there was one out there that was preferred more than others?
Sorry, no experience here with a hi-steer kit either.

Old 02-24-2015, 11:00 AM
skipb88
Freshman User
Fordman- I am only lifting about 4-5" at most, but I want to go with a crossover/high steer kit to eliminate the steering linkages that are stock. this way I have a fixed rod system....in my opinion it is a cleaner look and better quality? just something I thought was a great idea....

Nate,
I think I am going to stay with a stock size tank. I didn't look anywhere yet but if I can replace it with a plastic tank I would certainly do so though.

I also found a dual shock mount I may go with...not sure yet, a lot of people have negative talk on them basically saying it is pointless other than cosmetics?

Old 02-24-2015, 11:41 AM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Fordman- I am only lifting about 4-5" at most, but I want to go with a crossover/high steer kit to eliminate the steering linkages that are stock. this way I have a fixed rod system....in my opinion it is a cleaner look and better quality? just something I thought was a great idea....

Nate,
I think I am going to stay with a stock size tank. I didn't look anywhere yet but if I can replace it with a plastic tank I would certainly do so though.

I also found a dual shock mount I may go with...not sure yet, a lot of people have negative talk on them basically saying it is pointless other than cosmetics?
I will make a small suggestion. I had quite a few years in 4x4 fab, more so jeeps and rock buggies that never saw the road, but the principle is all the same

Regarding a hi steer setup. I feel its fairly unnecessary with the little lift you plan. If you are doing a hi steer setup do you plan on changing gearboxes? Are you doing a true hi steer setup? The main purpose behind it is to correct steering angles under heavy flex or a sky high lift(neither apply to your setup, our trucks do not flex worth chit) A couple other benefits are clearance on the trail, and the danger of a complete failure on a pull gear box. If you don't plan on wheeling heavy boulders or are concerned with the above, its not necessary at all. Replacing the stock steering components runs around $250 with MOOG parts for these trucks (Summit Racing). If you are going to be replacing the steering components, you can self fab a solid high steer with DOM tubing and heims for around that...so why not. Yes I think they look very clean, and are very simple to fab(tube, bungs, 4 heims, and a few grade 8 bolts and 1/4" plate, couple hours at most. Most RSK setups only need an adjustable track bar with a 4" lift though. Necessary...no...but why not? The simple visual check is to make sure your link is in plane with your track bar.

Regarding the dual shock and FOX suspension setup (I assume remote reservoir since most of their product line is)... You have mentioned some pricey components. Combine the the cost of the the front and rear leafs, Fox dampers (whether they are single or dual), the cost of the PMF setup and supporting components. Why not fab your own buckets and make it a clean coil over setup that will likely be the best riding OBS in your state? From the quick disassembly and scope of your rebuild, you seem more than capable of fabbing a very simple 4 link front/rear or triangulated 3 link rear. Fab you own tranny support and mount you links front and rear to this point. Being a standard cab truck it would be a great candidate. In my opinion it would be a unique setup that might just cost a bit more, but the ride quality will be incredible, and the cost fairly close to what you are going to pay for with the leaf sprung setup. I'd bag the rear if you plan on towing heavy though, but from the sounds of it this is going to be more of a toy than a tow pig. I am considering this over and RSK on my rig, and its the only reason I bring it up...

Another plus: no axle wrap. If you plan on going big on power and over a 33" tire with the truck, I'd absolutely consider it.

Looking forward to watching it all come together!!! Going to look great when you are done with it.

Old 02-24-2015, 11:56 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nossliw
I will make a small suggestion. I had quite a few years in 4x4 fab, more so jeeps and rock buggies that never saw the road, but the principle is all the same

Regarding a hi steer setup. I feel its fairly unnecessary with the little lift you plan. If you are doing a hi steer setup do you plan on changing gearboxes? Are you doing a true hi steer setup? The main purpose behind it is to correct steering angles under heavy flex or a sky high lift(neither apply to your setup, our trucks do not flex worth chit) A couple other benefits are clearance on the trail, and the danger of a complete failure on a pull gear box. If you don't plan on wheeling heavy boulders or are concerned with the above, its not necessary at all. Replacing the stock steering components runs around $250 with MOOG parts for these trucks (Summit Racing). If you are going to be replacing the steering components, you can self fab a solid high steer with DOM tubing and heims for around that...so why not. Yes I think they look very clean, and are very simple to fab(tube, bungs, 4 heims, and a few grade 8 bolts and 1/4" plate, couple hours at most. Most RSK setups only need an adjustable track bar with a 4" lift though. Necessary...no...but why not?

Regarding the dual shock and FOX suspension setup (I assume remote reservoir since most of their product line is)... You have mentioned some pricey components. Combine the the cost of the the front and rear leafs, Fox dampers (whether they are single or dual), the cost of the PMF setup and supporting components. Why not fab your own buckets and make it a clean coil over setup that will likely be the best riding OBS in your state? From the quick disassembly and scope of your rebuild, you seem more than capable of fabbing a very simple 4 link front/rear or triangulated 3 link rear. Fab you own tranny support and mount you links front and rear to this point. Being a standard cab truck it would be a great candidate. In my opinion it would be a unique setup that might just cost a bit more, but the ride quality will be incredible, and the cost fairly close to what you are going to pay for with the leaf sprung setup. I'd bag the rear if you plan on towing heavy though, but from the sounds of it this is going to be more of a toy than a tow pig. I am considering this over and RSK on my rig, and its the only reason I bring it up...

Another plus: no axle wrap. If you plan on going big on power and over a 33" tire with the truck, I'd absolutely consider it.

Looking forward to watching it all come together!!! Going to look great when you are done with it.
I agree with pretty much everything said here.. From what I can tell, the primary goal for this truck is to build something fairly different, fun, functional, and when someone sees it you probably want them to stop and say, "HOLY *****!". Budget doesn't seem to be a huge concern.

If that is the case, it would absolutely be worth looking into doing a 4 link on bags in the rear (since you said you may pull a trailer once in awhile) and a 4 link with coil overs up front. If you do it right, it should ride and perform better than a brand new truck. If you don't have the fab experience to take on building coil over buckets, mounting brackets, etc.. Talk to Trevor about it. Maybe he'll be interested in fabbing something up for you.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:13 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
I agree with pretty much everything said here.. From what I can tell, the primary goal for this truck is to build something fairly different, fun, functional, and when someone sees it you probably want them to stop and say, "HOLY *****!". Budget doesn't seem to be a huge concern.

If that is the case, it would absolutely be worth looking into doing a 4 link on bags in the rear (since you said you may pull a trailer once in awhile) and a 4 link with coil overs up front. If you do it right, it should ride and perform better than a brand new truck. If you don't have the fab experience to take on building coil over buckets, mounting brackets, etc.. Talk to Trevor about it. Maybe he'll be interested in fabbing something up for you.
Agreed, If you do go this route, make sure you take it to someone who understands suspension geometry. There is a lot more that goes into slapping 4 arms and a set of buckets under a truck... I have seen some very nice setups at first, flex and bind like garbage due to a lack of due diligence and design... Its not rocket science, just needs a little bit of thought before going gangbusters. Also, setting up the coil overs is key, otherwise it can ride as chitty as a TTB D60 conversion with stock 250 springs :-)

Old 02-24-2015, 02:18 PM
skipb88
Freshman User
Thanks for all the input, greatly appreciated.

Trust me, by all means I went into this project anticipating doing coilovers with 4 links. I am pretty unfamiliar with this, but I am confident I can do some research and figure it out. as I said I have the engineering and all the capabilities to do so. but in looking around no one seems to do it and I was looking for some advice or direction.

now I am to the point where I have all the PMF RSK kits coming along with the leaf springs (that are already here). needless to say I think I am going to stick to it because I have already made the investment in SD springs and shackle kits....but I will do some research. maybe, just maybe I will change my mind.

You are correct, this is more of a toy then a tow pig, not saying I would never hook it to a trailer, but to be honest...I would never really need to. I have trucks for pulling.

you all defiantly have my attention on the 4 link. and advice will be extremely helpful. in the event that I do go this route, so...who needs a new RSK kit and SD leafs?? LOL

Quick Reply: 1996 7.3 Ground up restoration / upgrades