1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

1996 7.3 Ground up restoration / upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 12:26 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ah man you picked a standard cab!!! Saweet! If its going to be a toy, I hope you go big, like 400/400s big :-) It will be streetable...

Old 02-18-2015, 12:29 PM
skipb88
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here are a few pics with the box off.

John this hood is 3". I would prefer a 4"-6" rise. looks like if I go that route I will be making one, if I do I will give you a shout.

luckily for me I have access to any fab/machining/blasting/painting I want

Old 02-18-2015, 12:34 PM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Man, that's a HUGE induction cowl! Well I think I'll practice on the hood I have now. I don't have access to much. I just got a welder/plasma cutter, so that's the extent of my fab equipment right now.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:36 PM
skipb88
Freshman User
lol I like the idea, but 400/400's might be over the top...but at this point I wont say no, anything is possible

Old 02-18-2015, 04:19 PM
skipb88
Freshman User
http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/99-04-f250-srw-rear-leaf-spring-4-1-leaf-stack

http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=17057

these are the front and rear springs that I think are correct....anyone object?

Also if anyone has changed their rear leafs to SD springs is there a conversion kit for this? or are you moving your factory brackets? unless I am missing something??

Old 02-18-2015, 04:27 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by skipb88
http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/99-04-f250-srw-rear-leaf-spring-4-1-leaf-stack

http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=17057

these are the front and rear springs that I think are correct....anyone object?

Also if anyone has changed their rear leafs to SD springs is there a conversion kit for this? or are you moving your factory brackets? unless I am missing something??

Yes SKY and PMF both make rear kits. You will be removing the stock hangers. I highly recommend PMFs kit. Their fitment and quality is top notch.

Brad will chime in since he has used all three manufactures :-)

Old 02-18-2015, 05:05 PM
dclack
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
I'm under the impression that the rear SD springs are the same length as OBS springs; all you have to do is drill your hangars for the larger eye bolt that the SD uses and they bolt right up.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:03 PM
skipb88
Freshman User
Originally Posted by dclack
I'm under the impression that the rear SD springs are the same length as OBS springs; all you have to do is drill your hangars for the larger eye bolt that the SD uses and they bolt right up.
not according to stock dimensions?
1988-1997 Ford F Super Duty - Leaf Spring (Rear - 1/PD Leave Helper) [43-1215] | $79.95 | SD Truck Springs | Leaf Springs, Helper Springs and Suspension Parts

Old 02-19-2015, 04:25 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts
Not sure what springs those are. I would be looking at U code fronts and B or C code rears.

Also 87-97 F-superduty springs are NOT what you want. You want 99-04 Suerduty springs

Old 02-19-2015, 05:19 AM
skipb88
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
Not sure what springs those are. I would be looking at U code fronts and B or C code rears.

Also 87-97 F-superduty springs are NOT what you want. You want 99-04 Suerduty springs

yes, correct. the first 2 springs for the 99-04 that I posted higher up is what I am ordering. Now, I am just trying to figure out all the spring differences to add up my total lift height. I will be ordering parts today

Thanks everyone for all of your help on this!!! Greatly appreciated!

Old 02-19-2015, 01:22 PM
skipb88
Freshman User
Old 02-19-2015, 01:25 PM
skipb88
Freshman User
Just received my complete Stainless brake line kit!
also Received the complete poly bushing kit

All 4 leafs are ordered, and PMF shackle kits are ordered!

I am getting a lot further on the ordering than I am on the truck itself!!! lol

Old 02-19-2015, 02:32 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
I don't know why stainless steel brake lines are not DOT mandated. For all of the rust belt states out there that are spreading the auto carcinogens all over the road by the ton, you'd sure think it would be a good idea to make sure your brake lines don't rot out. I have blow two and both of them resulted in a close call that could have been an accident if the situation had been slightly different.

Where did you source the lines?

Old 02-19-2015, 02:56 PM
skipb88
Freshman User
Nate,

I agree 100%. that's why this is one of the first things I looked for. To me on a build like this is a must have.

Brake lines came from classictube.com

never dealt with them before but the kit I got looks to be first class! very nicely detailed kit.

Old 02-19-2015, 03:02 PM
skipb88
Freshman User
<table width="98%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2"><tbody><tr><td width="90%" valign="bottom">I am looking at this kit from FMP. has anyone used this? I am curious as to what block taper I have? seems like a nice set to me. I would like to use weld on kit.

Fabricated Unitized Floating Traction Block

</td><td align="right"><table border="0" cellspacing="3" cellpadding="0"><tbody><tr><!--START: PREV_PROD--><!--END: PREV_PROD--> <td width="1" class="borders"></td><!--START: NEXT_PROD--><!--END: NEXT_PROD--> </tr></tbody></table></td></tr><tr><td colspan="2"><table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"><tbody><tr><!--START: id--> <td width="50%" align="left">Part Number PMF-FRD-4001-00</td><!--END: id--> <!--START: totalrating--> <td width="50%" align="right"><table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2"><tbody><tr><td></td><td nowrap="nowrap">1 Review(s)</td><td style="display: none;">5
</td></tr></tbody></table>
</td><!--END: totalrating--> </tr></tbody></table></td></tr><tr><td align="center" colspan="2"><table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="4"><tbody><tr><td align="center"><!--START: image1-->

<!--END: image1--></td><td><table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="4"><!--START: image2--> <tbody><tr><td align="center" class="borders"></td></tr><tr><td align="center" class="borders"></td></tr><!--END: image2--> <!--START: image3--> <tr><td align="center" class="borders"></td></tr><!--END: image3--> <!--START: image4--> <tr><td align="center" class="borders"></td></tr><!--END: image4--> </tbody></table></td></tr><!--START: image5--><!--END: image5--> </tbody></table></td></tr><tr><td align="center" colspan="2"><table border="0" cellspacing="2" cellpadding="2"><tbody><tr><td align="center"><!--START: email_friend--> <table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2"><tbody><tr><td></td><td>Email a friend</td></tr></tbody></table><!--END: email_friend--></td><td align="center"><!--START: create_first_review--><!--END: create_first_review--></td><td align="center" colspan="2"><!--START: create_review_link--> <table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2"><tbody><tr><td></td><td>Write a Review</td></tr></tbody></table><!--END: create_review_link--></td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr><!--START: giftcertificate_block--><!--END: giftcertificate_block--> <!--START: pricing--> <tr><td class="titles" colspan="2">Price</td></tr><tr><td colspan="2"><table width="100%" class="alternative" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="5"><tbody><tr><td align="left" valign="middle"> <table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="5"><tbody><tr><td align="left" class="price-info" colspan="2"><table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"><!--START: price2--><!--END: price2--> <tbody><tr><td align="left" class="price-info" valign="top">Your Price: <!--START: ITEMPRICE--> $700.00
<!--END: ITEMPRICE--> <!--START: SALEPRICE--><!--END: SALEPRICE--> </tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>
</td><td align="right" valign="top"><table width="80%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"><!--START: product_availability--><!--END: product_availability--> <!--START: freeshippingblock--><!--END: freeshippingblock--> <!--START: product_social-bookmarking--> <tbody><tr><td align="left" valign="middle" colspan="2"></td></tr><tr><td align="left" valign="middle" colspan="2">Share on email Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on print More Sharing Services <a class="addthis_counter addthis_bubble_style" style="display: inline-block;" href="http://www.pmfsuspension.com/Fabricated-Unitized-Floating-Traction-Block_p_9.html#">11

</td></tr><!--END: product_social-bookmarking--> <!--START: frame_likebutton--> <tr><td align="left" valign="middle" colspan="2"></td></tr><tr><td align="left" valign="middle" colspan="2"><iframe name="fb_xdm_frame_http" tabindex="-1" title="Facebook Cross Domain Communication Frame" id="fb_xdm_frame_http" aria-hidden="true" src="http://static.ak.facebook.com/connect/xd_arbiter/DU1Ia251o0y.js?version=41#channel=f13166c297ff7a5& origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pmfsuspension.com" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" style="border: currentColor; border-image: none;" allowtransparency="true"></iframe><iframe name="fb_xdm_frame_https" tabindex="-1" title="Facebook Cross Domain Communication Frame" id="fb_xdm_frame_https" aria-hidden="true" src="https://s-static.ak.facebook.com/connect/xd_arbiter/DU1Ia251o0y.js?version=41#channel=f13166c297ff7a5& origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pmfsuspension.com" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" style="border: currentColor; border-image: none;" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

<fb:like class=" fb_iframe_widget" fb-xfbml-state="rendered" fb-iframe-plugin-query="app_id=&container_width=0&href=http%3A%2F%2 Fwww.pmfsuspension.com%2FFabricated-Unitized-Floating-Traction-Block_p_9.html&layout=button_count&locale=en_US&re f=3dcart&sdk=joey&send=true&show_faces=false&width =180" ref="3dcart" show_faces="false" width="180" layout="button_count" send="true"><iframe name="ff5079524c5389" width="180" height="1000" title="fb:like Facebook Social Plugin" src="http://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?app_id=&channel=http%3A%2F%2Fstatic.ak.fa cebook.com%2Fconnect%2Fxd_arbiter%2FDU1Ia251o0y.js %3Fversion%3D41%23cb%3Df228fc28019d61e%26domain%3D www.pmfsuspension.com%26origin%3Dhttp%253A%252F%25 2Fwww.pmfsuspension.com%252Ff13166c297ff7a5%26rela tion%3Dparent.parent&container_width=0&href=http%3 A%2F%2Fwww.pmfsuspension.com%2FFabricated-Unitized-Floating-Traction-Block_p_9.html&layout=button_count&locale=en_US&re f=3dcart&sdk=joey&send=true&show_faces=false&width =180" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" style="border: currentColor; border-image: none; width: 121px; height: 20px; visibility: visible;" allowtransparency="true"></iframe></fb:like></td></tr><!--END: frame_likebutton--> </tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr><!--END: pricing--> <!--START: LOGIN_REQUIRED--><!--END: LOGIN_REQUIRED--> <!--START: PRODUCT_OPTIONS_BLOCK--> <tr><td colspan="2"></td></tr><tr><td class="titles" colspan="2">Choose Options</td></tr><tr><td align="center" colspan="2"><!--START: divOptionsBlock--> <table width="100%" align="center" class="alternative" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"><tbody><tr><td align="center"><table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"><tbody><tr><td align="center"><!--START: optionstemplate--><!--END: optionstemplate--></td></tr><tr><td><!--START: options--><!--START: optionBlock191--> <table border="0" cellspacing="10" cellpadding="0"><tbody><tr><td width="80" align="right" class="item" valign="middle" colspan="2">Mount Type</td><td align="left" class="item" valign="middle"><table><tbody><tr><td><input name="Mount Type-9" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;" type="radio" value="740"></td><!--START: radio_imagepath--><!--END: radio_imagepath--> <td>Weld On </td></tr></tbody></table><table><tbody><tr><td><input name="Mount Type-9" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;" type="radio" value="739"></td><!--START: radio_imagepath--><!--END: radio_imagepath--> <td>Block Mount [+$125.00]</td></tr></tbody></table></td><td align="left" class="price-info" valign="middle"><!--START: help--><!--END: help--></td></tr></tbody></table><!--END: optionBlock191--><!--START: optionBlock19--> <table border="0" cellspacing="10" cellpadding="0"><tbody><tr><td width="80" align="right" class="item" valign="middle" colspan="2">Bed Length</td><td align="left" class="item" valign="middle"><table><tbody><tr><td><input name="Bed Length-9" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;" type="radio" value="70"></td><!--START: radio_imagepath--><!--END: radio_imagepath--> <td>Shortbed </td></tr></tbody></table><table><tbody><tr><td><input name="Bed Length-9" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;" type="radio" value="71"></td><!--START: radio_imagepath--><!--END: radio_imagepath--> <td>Longbed [+$50.00]</td></tr></tbody></table></td><td align="left" class="price-info" valign="middle"><!--START: help--><!--END: help--></td></tr></tbody></table><!--END: optionBlock19--><!--START: optionBlock2--> <table border="0" cellspacing="10" cellpadding="0"><tbody><tr><td width="80" align="right" class="item" valign="middle" colspan="2">Block Height</td><td align="left" class="item" valign="middle"><select name="Block Height-9" class="txtBoxStyle"><!--START: option--> <option value="">Block Height </option> <option selected="selected" value="Weld On:::741">Weld On </option> <option value="3.5:::8">3.5" [+$35.00]</option> <option value="4.0::">4.0" [+$40.00]</option> <option value="4.5:::10">4.5" [+$45.00]</option> <option value="5.0:::75">5.0" [+$50.00]</option> <!--END: option--> </select> </td><td align="left" class="price-info" valign="middle"><!--START: help--><!--END: help--></td></tr></tbody></table><!--END: optionBlock2--><!--START: optionBlock3--> <table border="0" cellspacing="10" cellpadding="0"><tbody><tr><td width="80" align="right" class="item" valign="middle" colspan="2">Block Taper</td><td align="left" class="item" valign="middle"><table><tbody><tr><td><input name="Block Taper-9" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;" type="radio" value="11"></td><!--START: radio_imagepath--><!--END: radio_imagepath--> <td>Flat </td></tr></tbody></table><table><tbody><tr><td><input name="Block Taper-9" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;" type="radio" value="12"></td><!--START: radio_imagepath--><!--END: radio_imagepath--> <td>2.5* Taper </td></tr></tbody></table><table><tbody><tr><td><input name="Block Taper-9" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;" type="radio" value="13"></td><!--START: radio_imagepath--><!--END: radio_imagepath--> <td>5* Taper </td></tr></tbody></table></td><td align="left" class="price-info" valign="middle"><!--START: help--><!--END: help--></td></tr></tbody></table><!--END: optionBlock3--><!--START: optionBlock21--> <table border="0" cellspacing="10" cellpadding="0"><tbody><tr><td width="80" align="right" class="item" valign="middle" colspan="2">Block Options</td><td align="left" class="item" valign="middle"><table><tbody><tr><td><input name="Block Options-9" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;" type="radio" value="85"></td><!--START: radio_imagepath--><!--END: radio_imagepath--> <td>Bumpstop Tangs [+$35.00]</td></tr></tbody></table></td><td align="left" class="price-info" valign="middle"><!--START: help--><!--END: help--></td></tr></tbody></table><!--END: optionBlock21--><input name="std_price" type="hidden" value="700.00"> <input name="price_740" type="hidden" value="0"> <input name="OptID_740" type="hidden" value="-WO"> <input name="OptID_Weld On:::740" type="hidden" value="-WO"> <input name="required_field" type="hidden" value="Mount Type-9"> <input name="price_739" type="hidden" value="125.00"> <input name="OptID_739" type="hidden" value="-BLK"> <input name="OptID_Block Mount:::739" type="hidden" value="-BLK"> <input name="price_70" type="hidden" value="0"> <input name="OptID_70" type="hidden" value="-SB"> <input name="OptID_Shortbed:::70" type="hidden" value="-SB"> <input name="required_field" type="hidden" value="Bed Length-9"> <input name="price_71" type="hidden" value="50.00"> <input name="OptID_71" type="hidden" value="-LB"> <input name="OptID_Longbed:::71" type="hidden" value="-LB"> <input name="price_Weld On:::741" type="hidden" value="0"> <input name="OptID_Weld On:::741" type="hidden" value=""> <input name="price_3.5:::8" type="hidden" value="35.00"> <input name="OptID_3.5:::8" type="hidden" value="-35"> <input name="price_4.0::" type="hidden" value="40.00"> <input name="OptID_4.0::" type="hidden" value="-40"> <input name="price_4.5:::10" type="hidden" value="45.00"> <input name="OptID_4.5:::10" type="hidden" value="-45"> <input name="price_5.0:::75" type="hidden" value="50.00"> <input name="OptID_5.0:::75" type="hidden" value="-50"> <input name="price_11" type="hidden" value="0"> <input name="OptID_11" type="hidden" value="-00"> <input name="OptID_Flat:::11" type="hidden" value="-00"> <input name="price_12" type="hidden" value="0"> <input name="OptID_12" type="hidden" value="-25"> <input name="OptID_2.5* Taper:::12" type="hidden" value="-25"> <input name="price_13" type="hidden" value="0"> <input name="OptID_13" type="hidden" value="-50"> <input name="OptID_5* Taper:::13" type="hidden" value="-50"> <input name="price_85" type="hidden" value="35.00"> <input name="OptID_85" type="hidden" value="-B"> <input name="OptID_Bumpstop Tangs:::85" type="hidden" value="-B"> <!--END: options--></td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table><!--END: divOptionsBlock-->
</td></tr><tr><td colspan="2"></td></tr></tbody></table>

Quick Reply: 1996 7.3 Ground up restoration / upgrades