Sponsored by:

Highway steering scare

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 04:09 PM
KC-Griz
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Watcher58
RAS was a big help followed by the Hellwig. RAS is an easy install.. Forgot I replaced the steering stabilizer as well.

Griz if you are coming out here to MT you DEFINITELY want it squared away. The crosswinds are a biatch., not to mention that our 2 lane highways have the nice ripple effect from all the extreme temperatures. They saved a lot of asphalt by leaving out shoulders. Sneeze and you hear rumble strips. Those you just blank out the noise and pretend its regular asphalt and very very gently correct because corrections really jump out here. You heading to Glacier or all over?
Just hitting the southeast corner of MT no further west than Billings. Roads aren't too bad but will be hitting probably 200+ miles of gravel roads and off road into the pastures while there.

Old 02-01-2015, 06:37 PM
Watcher58
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Yeah nothing to exciting down there. You trailering?

Old 02-01-2015, 08:35 PM
KC-Griz
Freshman User
Yeah nothing to exciting down there. You trailering?
Don't plan to. just running heavy with gear, ammo and ummm... boom sticks! On a mission to rid the land of a few thousand prairie dogs.

Old 02-07-2015, 03:26 PM
Bite N Hold
Senior User
Update--So I had the U/L ball joints and steering stab shock replaced. Truck stil had a loud clunk from right front end. I checked it my self and found the shock was completely broke and was very loose on the top mount, which I assume means the rubber spacer/insert is shot. Just bought Rancho's which are going on Monday. The highway steering issue is 90% better with just about 1-2" of slop in the steering wheel but no crazy jolting left and right. I think I need to tighten up the steering box bolt? no which might eliminate that. Will update further.

Old 02-07-2015, 09:59 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Bite N Hold
Update--So I had the U/L ball joints and steering stab shock replaced. Truck stil had a loud clunk from right front end. I checked it my self and found the shock was completely broke and was very loose on the top mount, which I assume means the rubber spacer/insert is shot. Just bought Rancho's which are going on Monday. The highway steering issue is 90% better with just about 1-2" of slop in the steering wheel but no crazy jolting left and right. I think I need to tighten up the steering box bolt? no which might eliminate that. Will update further.
Yep, those worn B-joints will do that, they slip out of the groove they wore and instantly change your camber, throwing your front end to the right or left.

Old 02-08-2015, 12:52 PM
Watcher58
Laughing Gas
Thing I noticed with tightening the gear, it seems to increase your resistance so your steering doesn't feel as loose to you but you still have the same degree of play more or less. There is definitely a place of resistance where you will feel more comfortable--you know like picking your nose, your steering hand moves and off the road you go--it won't move out of position as easily but you still pretty much have that same play to negotiate. It is just less stressful to manage because it's easier NOT to overcorrect as much due to the resistance.

Old 02-09-2015, 04:33 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Thing I noticed with tightening the gear, it seems to increase your resistance so your steering doesn't feel as loose to you but you still have the same degree of play more or less. There is definitely a place of resistance where you will feel more comfortable--you know like picking your nose, your steering hand moves and off the road you go--it won't move out of position as easily but you still pretty much have that same play to negotiate. It is just less stressful to manage because it's easier NOT to overcorrect as much due to the resistance.
The PS box slop mainly affects the steering wheel not the front wheels.

Old 02-09-2015, 04:39 PM
Bite N Hold
Senior User
Originally Posted by EXv10
The PS box slop mainly affects the steering wheel not the front wheels.
Makes sense. I think that is what I need. Is there a how to on that somewhere here?

Old 02-09-2015, 11:35 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Makes sense. I think that is what I need. Is there a how to on that somewhere here?
Yes, do a search but someone will probably chime in first.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:54 AM
savagefan
Senior User
Then
you still have slop in your linkage somewhere.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:51 AM
A Rodder
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by savagefan
Then
you still have slop in your linkage somewhere.
Or still slop in the box that you can't get out by tightening up the adjustment nut .

Old 02-13-2015, 08:27 PM
Lance Helmert
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I think Christina did a redhead install. It's in the tech folder, I think.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:10 PM
Watcher58
Laughing Gas
New steering gear installed today--life is good again

The Beast tracks straight down the road. It even passed the "Knee" test. I may
have to adjust it just a tad as it is almost too easy to steer. When I was first driving, I was over correcting for about a mile like crazy thinking subconciously about the old gear. After a mile it hit me that I don't have to do that crap anymore!!Anyway that seems to have been a big part of my problem.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:49 AM
Bite N Hold
Senior User
Sounds like I will be doing a steering box next!!!! Watcher, did you do the redhead or just a parts store one?

Old 02-16-2015, 03:44 PM
Watcher58
Laughing Gas
My X is under an extended warranty so it would be a Ford Part--I assume since the dealer did it. Those guys know how to tighten a bolt! I went to loosen the lock nut so I could increase the drag just a hair,,jeez I could not move the sucker. I'll have to think on that a while. If I was buying the gear out of pocket, I would have spent the extra funds for the redhead.

At the moment-their parts seems to be doing well. If it screws up, I figure I can let the dealer and the warranty company duke it out.