351m/400 rebuild or replace options

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 11:11 AM
NMFirstF2504X4
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
351m/400 rebuild or replace options

I spend most of my time over on the 73-79 forum, but have been looking over here more and hoping you all have some advice. Currently I have a 351m with 72k miles that has a few issues driving me to rebuilding or replacing it (piston slap, a burnt valve or two, and maybe rod bearings). I the end I'd like to have a better than stock 400 (e.g. cam and manifold). I've rebuilt an engine before, but don't have the time or tools any more so I'm looking at three options:

1. have a local shop rebuild the engine including a 400 crank - ~$1500
2. buy a short block and have my heads reconditioned locally - I've found a few vendors on the 'net - any recommendations here?
3. buy a long block - again I've found a few vendors on the 'net with various prices

Thanks!!

Old 01-24-2015, 12:05 PM
Bud Mud
Laughing Gas
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by NMFirstF2504X4
I spend most of my time over on the 73-79 forum, but have been looking over here more and hoping you all have some advice. Currently I have a 351m with 72k miles that has a few issues driving me to rebuilding or replacing it (piston slap, a burnt valve or two, and maybe rod bearings). I the end I'd like to have a better than stock 400 (e.g. cam and manifold). I've rebuilt an engine before, but don't have the time or tools any more so I'm looking at three options:

1. have a local shop rebuild the engine including a 400 crank - ~$1500
2. buy a short block and have my heads reconditioned locally - I've found a few vendors on the 'net - any recommendations here?
3. buy a long block - again I've found a few vendors on the 'net with various prices

Thanks!!
Did you check out TMI on here, he has some really good options and is a real easy guy to talk with. Also, support the ones who support us, Tim Meyer Inc. is a sponsor here and has helped a lot of us,myself included. Good luck with your build,and dont let others talk you into swapping to a boat anchor 460.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:21 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I agree that Tim is the way to go. And, if you want a decent compression ratio you will need to get the pistons from him anyway as he has essentially the only pistons for a 400 that give other than the stock 8:1 compression. (And, there aren't similar ones for a 351M, so you do need to make it a 400.)

But, as Bud suggested, Tim can supply all of the parts you want, whether basic engine parts or fancy dress parts. That includes recommending a cam - probably a custom one that he's tested but made by Comp Cams. Further, he can build and dyno an engine and then ship it to you. And, if he does the build he will put his oiling system mod's in it so you will have reasonable pressure instead of the 15 psi at idle many stockers have. Or, you can have a machine shop put the mod's in - if they will, although mine wouldn't do it so I did.

Give Tim a call, but make sure you have time to talk as he will give you time.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:48 PM
natevo00
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im in the same predicament as you except I have a 400M. What did you end up doing? I went to Tim's website and couldn't find any parts for the 400M.

Old 03-28-2015, 10:03 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by natevo00
Im in the same predicament as you except I have a 400M. What did you end up doing? I went to Tim's website and couldn't find any parts for the 400M.
You won't find anything on Tim's site about a "400M". That's because it is a "400". Ford never called it a 400M, and Tim doesn't nor do we.

The only reason there's a 351M is that there was already a 351C so Ford needed to differentiate that one from the other. But, there was never any other 400 so Ford didn't call it a 400M. Just a 400.

Old 03-29-2015, 04:25 PM
NMFirstF2504X4
Senior User
I'm still undecided on a path forward. Yesterday after looking at a used 351m to rebuild, I at least made up my mind to not do it all myself. Ideally, I'd like to buy an assembled 400 short block and then have my heads reconditioned.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:59 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by NMFirstF2504X4
I'm still undecided on a path forward. Yesterday after looking at a used 351m to rebuild, I at least made up my mind to not do it all myself. Ideally, I'd like to buy an assembled 400 short block and then have my heads reconditioned.
Why not have the pro do it? Tim Meyer is the guy. Ship your stuff to him, inc the heads, and he'll build it however you want it. He can even dyno it if you want.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:32 PM
HVACTOM
Senior User
if you have the cash then go all in with tim I haven't personally, but I sure will be in the near future, I don't think you can get the full potential of the 400 without going to him. go big or......Good luck hope to see the thread.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:19 PM
NMFirstF2504X4
Senior User
Well, cash is the main issue right now. Maybe down the road I could have a really nice professionally built engine, but I'm limited to about $2k. Trying to do something in this space looks a bit challenging in wanting a bit more performance than stock.

Old 04-04-2015, 08:09 AM
BuzzLOL
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
. First of all, forget buying an engine or shortblock, unless they'll do it using TMI pistons or modified rods for 351C pistons... (or custom pistons, but that gets real pricey) ... anything else gets you a wimpy engine with bad MPG... like you already have...

. Your engine was rated like 159 netHP... TMI pistons, RV cam, new timing set, 4 bbl. & intake, and headers gets you to about 375 grossHP easily (all stock parts in good condition)...

. Check with local truck and car enthusiast shops, engine rebuilders, car shows, swap meets, and you may be able to find someone to help you at a reasonable price... $2,000 should easily do what we suggest...

Old 04-04-2015, 08:20 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by BuzzLOL
. First of all, forget buying an engine or shortblock, unless they'll do it using TMI pistons or modified rods for 351C pistons... (or custom pistons, but that gets real pricey) ... anything else gets you a wimpy engine with bad MPG... like you already have...

. Your engine was rated like 159 netHP... TMI pistons, RV cam, new timing set, 4 bbl. & intake, and headers gets you to about 375 grossHP easily (all stock parts in good condition)...

. Check with local truck and car enthusiast shops, engine rebuilders, car shows, swap meets, and you may be able to find someone to help you at a reasonable price... $2,000 should easily do what we suggest...
I agree with all that, but am skeptical about the ability to build an engine for $2k. I hope so, but….

Old 04-10-2015, 06:13 PM
NMFirstF2504X4
Senior User
Any experience with some of the short-blocks or long-blocks that I see advertised online? These are all look to be stock which maybe is all I can afford right now.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:54 PM
SDDL-UP
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
I began my build with Pistons from TMeyer! And have ordered various smaller parts from him since....

I would suggest you do the same - order pistons now, then when you've saved up enough take them to an engine machine shop and tell then what you want. You want to start your build off right, and that means the right pistons and crank. For what it's worth, I picked up a used 400 - complete, for $60. The only trouble I had was getting the distributor out!

Old 04-11-2015, 05:59 AM
Bud Mud
Laughing Gas
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
I agree with all that, but am skeptical about the ability to build an engine for $2k. I hope so, but….
Hey Gary, as long as he already has the engine anybody should be able to rebuild a 400 for under $2000. May need to call around to find the lowest price for a machine shop, intake carb that stuff can be found used plus if a person has ant type of wrenching skills there NO REASON to not assemble there own engine. Everybody has a friend that wrenches, so ask him to help to keep cost down, i wont spend over $1500 on mine, but im not looking for big HP or anything special,if my block hadnt needed boring out id had used the stock pistons. GOOD LUCK on the build OP.

Old 04-11-2015, 07:29 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Bud - You are probably right, but it depends on a lot of things. Like align-boring, or not. And decking to get zero-deck, or not. And checking for cracked heads, or not. All of those things add up.

Quick Reply: 351m/400 rebuild or replace options