6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Recall 2011-2014 F250-F550 6.7L 14E03

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 11:07 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Yep, just looked mine up and sure 'nuff, it's there. They will probably just do it automatically when I go in for an oil change in a week or so - I but sure would like folks to keep this thread going with information as to what negative effects the reflash will have on mileage.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:56 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by pstroke67
Ok guys giving everybody hear early heads up there is now a Emission Recall 14E03 and basically reprogram pcm to update the selective catalyst reduction program and improve drivability ford's sending out letters to all owners starting January 26 figure give everyone hear heads up so you can get to dealer quick and beat everyone else
Hi everyone,

As an FYI, you can enter your VIN at this site to see if your truck has any active recalls on it: Recall Notices| Ford, Lincoln & Mercury Owners | Official Ford Owner Site If you have any questions about the specifics of a recall, give your dealership's service department a call and they'll be happy to help.

Crystal

Old 01-23-2015, 01:13 PM
BB_TX
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those sitting on the fence on this one, I would suggest finding out for sure if this is in relation to the exhaust gas temp sensor failures that result in the "stop safely now" message. I got the "stop safely now" message and the engine died as I was starting to pull off the highway towing a small trailer. Had no advance warning. Just barely got off the highway and could go no further. Engine would not restart for 30 minutes. Service advisor said the sensor failure is common. Definitely a potential safety issue.
If that is what the recall is about, I am guessing the change is to allow more time to get safely stopped out of the roadway. As I have read, ambulances already have that fix.
I am going to check with the advisor to see if that is the case.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:41 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by bridge
I installed the update earlier this week hoping it would fix the remote start climate control issue. No such luck. But, I haven't noticed it causing any other issues either.

As far as regens, temps and MPG my results probably won't be as indicative as others. I drive very little as I work from home (just to the daycare once a day). A regen temp north of 1500 degrees over about 10 miles is inline with what my 2011 would do. My '14 doesn't get that hot per the Torque app, but I really don't have the opportunity to go WOT on a freeway here in the 'burbs. With our rigs having similar build dates and yours seemingly having the same regens as an '11 model I'm confused as to why earlier models get an update and what the update addresses in pre-2014 models that is different in the 2014 and newer rigs.
Wow, 1,500°F is hot. Mine only occasionally hits 1,200°F post DPF in July/August. I guess at some point they increased the regeneration temp and are now lowering it again? Even towing with an AR in the summer has not produced temps much above 1,200.

Old 01-23-2015, 02:24 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
I just remembered I had this. Kind of relevant to the subject matter. This is a reading from a bad sensor that my buddy placed in his EGR delete. This was the reading at idle. You can see why the trucks think they ought to shut themselves off.

Old 01-23-2015, 02:59 PM
Craig Lurtz
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pstroke67
Ok guys giving everybody hear early heads up there is now a Emission Recall 14E03 and basically reprogram pcm to update the selective catalyst reduction program and improve drivability ford's sending out letters to all owners starting January 26 figure give everyone hear heads up so you can get to dealer quick and beat everyone else
This just happend last night, my F550 activity bus conversion went into "Limp IN" mode in the middle of nowhere with a load of high school kids. No warning lights just the reduced power mode notice. The driver pulled off and restarted, after that it ran normally. He took it into the dealership today and they did the no cost recall update and it seems to have worked. They will be on the road with it this evening , we shall see.

Old 01-23-2015, 03:04 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by donovan
I just knew ford would not spend money on parts and do the devious cheap solution. I'm going to pass on this recall. They really are taking the fun out of it.

Make deleting more likely.
So, you want them to replace parts even if that doesn't fix the problem?

Old 01-23-2015, 03:19 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OK, the recall is essentially working with the scr system (DEF for the uninitiated). DEF reduces NOX. It breaks it down into different components. Because NOX is essentially heat (See where I'm going here?), and the injector is pre-DPF, you can see why adjusting programming would make a difference.

Old 01-23-2015, 03:32 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
So, the fact that I only get 3500 miles from a tank of def is the new normal? I have a '15 truck now.

Old 01-23-2015, 03:39 PM
rcorcich
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just checked , I fall under the recall.
I'll wait a little bit to see how this shakes out , I have the emergency kit all ready just in case.

Rich

Old 01-23-2015, 03:39 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by vloney
OK, the recall is essentially working with the scr system (DEF for the uninitiated). DEF reduces NOX. It breaks it down into different components. Because NOX is essentially heat (See where I'm going here?), and the injector is pre-DPF, you can see why adjusting programming would make a difference.
Got it. The way I'm understanding this now is the programming is simply going to lower temperatures to try to prevent damaging sensor #14 and in turn, hopefully reduce shutdowns.

Is Ford doing anything to the shutdown procedures? As in, limp mode instead of a five second shutdown with this new programming?

Old 01-23-2015, 03:45 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by ruschejj
So, the fact that I only get 3500 miles from a tank of def is the new normal? I have a '15 truck now.
I'm thinking this update will inject more DEF to decrease oxidation (reduction?) which will reduce the temps (NOx).

No one run me over with a dump truck, I'm simply talking out loud.

Old 01-23-2015, 03:46 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Craig Lurtz
This just happend last night, my F550 activity bus conversion went into "Limp IN" mode in the middle of nowhere with a load of high school kids. No warning lights just the reduced power mode notice. The driver pulled off and restarted, after that it ran normally. He took it into the dealership today and they did the no cost recall update and it seems to have worked. They will be on the road with it this evening , we shall see.
Craig - Welcome to the FTE forums...
Thanks for sharing.
What year is your truck??

Please register the failure you've had with the NTSB (link provided earler in this thread) so they can get some accurate numbers..

Old 01-23-2015, 07:17 PM
allcool
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bridge
A regen temp north of 1500 degrees over about 10 miles is inline with what my 2011 would do. My '14 doesn't get that hot per the Torque app, but I really don't have the opportunity to go WOT on a freeway here in the 'burbs.

With our rigs having similar build dates and yours seemingly having the same regens as an '11 model I'm confused as to why earlier models get an update and what the update addresses in pre-2014 models that is different in the 2014 and newer rigs.
Interesting, but confusing also. My regens don't always go 1500+°, Today hyw regen was max 1200-1250° on torque app. Iirr, seems to get hotter with around town regens compared to hyw regens. The 1 constant seems to be regens always last close to 10 miles, hyw or around town. Not sure what parameters cause the regen temps to go higher or lower..?

Must be a detailed technical explanation of regen functions and parameters in some Ford publication, somewhere. I'd like to see it, and the regen changes they upgraded to over the years. Also like to see the detailed technical explanation of this new FSA.

jmo

Old 01-23-2015, 09:08 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,198 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by FordService
Hi everyone,

As an FYI, you can enter your VIN at this site to see if your truck has any active recalls on it: Recall Notices| Ford, Lincoln & Mercury Owners | Official Ford Owner Site If you have any questions about the specifics of a recall, give your dealership's service department a call and they'll be happy to help.

Crystal

Wait, since Crystal is an "official Ford rep", she can find out and tell us exactly what this recall does. Why are we all speculating if it's lower regen temps to protect incorrectly designed sensors or if it allows limp mode instead of stranding us with stop safely. Never mind calling your Ford dealer service rep who will probably be far less informed than the average forum member. Lets get it from someone who is clearly connected to Ford. Crystal, this seems like an easy answer from a Ford rep. Do share.

Quick Reply: Recall 2011-2014 F250-F550 6.7L 14E03