1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Back for more. Purchased another van.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 07:11 AM
EagleFreek
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, it is rubber mat on top of 1/2" plywood on top of 1/8" steel. It was a wheel chair van and I suppose they used the E track to secure wheel chairs.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:05 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,391 Likes on 1,100 Posts
Ahh never thought of the E Track being used for wheelchair transport.

Old 01-23-2015, 04:32 PM
EagleFreek
Senior User
I installed some vinyl wrap on some of the windows to make it look a little more like a cargo van. the color is a little lighter, but it was the closest of the samples they sent me.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:32 PM
gcvt
Senior User
Looking good - that's coming together nicely.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:47 PM
EagleFreek
Senior User
Thanks. Yesterday I pressure washed and scrubbed the mold off of the roof.

My van started it's life as a wheelchair shuttle, then it got a band to gigs. Today it was it's first official day as a work van. I installed a 12'x10' overhead door today with the help of the van.

Old 08-27-2018, 05:28 PM
EagleFreek
Senior User
Originally Posted by EagleFreek
The clear coat is pealing up there and a buddy is going to repaint it for me when the weather gets a little warmer.
It only took over 3.5 years, but I finally got the roof painted. I traded a buddy some work. I helped him demo a kitchen he was remodeling and he painted the roof. I bought the base coat and he supplied the SPI epoxy primer and clear. Just shy of two quarts of Nason basecoat was used and it was $300 just for two quarts of paint, reducer and activator. We sanded it on Friday night, primed it on Saturday morning and basecoat and clear on Sunday. I haven't replaced the missing rubber molding around the roof, yet, but I'll be ordering it tonight.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:28 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
It looks good!

Old 08-28-2018, 04:34 AM
wiskeyVI
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That really looks nice!

Old 08-28-2018, 08:05 AM
jbwheels
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks great. I love the SPI epoxy and clear. I'm just a painting "hack" but those products make my work look great.

Old 08-29-2018, 04:31 PM
EmilBarnabas
More Turbo
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
I'm going to repaint the bumpers a darker gray. The paint came out a lot brighter than the cap on the can. I also need to wash the mold off the roof, but I'm waiting for a day where it is above freezing.
I have a dark green Econoline the same year, and I painted my bumpers using Rust-Oleum Smoke Gray from a spray can. It's a darker gray and looks better then the original lighter Ford gray.

Old 08-29-2018, 07:40 PM
EagleFreek
Senior User
Originally Posted by EmilBarnabas
I have a dark green Econoline the same year, and I painted my bumpers using Rust-Oleum Smoke Gray from a spray can. It's a darker gray and looks better then the original lighter Ford gray.
Yeah, that's another thing I haven't got around to fixing, either. My buddy who painted the roof has a bad *** sand blasting setup and wants to blast and paint the bumpers for me. Maybe in another 3 years. Maybe I'll try the Rustoleum for now.

Old 08-30-2018, 09:52 PM
Mark T-TB
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looking good!

Old 08-31-2018, 10:58 AM
EagleFreek
Senior User

Thanks for the compliments. It's nice pulling up to a customers house and not have a crappy roof on the van. I installed new rubber molding around the roof. Based on a review on Amazon of the Camco mentioned earlier in this thread, I went with a rubber from JR Products. It appears to be good quality and went in easy. It only took about 15 minutes, if that. https://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-10061-Premium-Insert/dp/B002UC2PNQ

I also mentioned that I changed a window regulator 3+ years ago. I installed an AC Delco regulator. Well 2 years later and only 9,000 miles of driving without rarely using the power window, I came out of a store and my window was down. The darn cable snapped. I replaced with a Motorcraft unit and it's been a year and a half and 35,000 miles of use and I use the window uquite a bit.

Old 09-03-2018, 04:39 PM
econovanfan1
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, that's another thing I haven't got around to fixing, either. My buddy who painted the roof has a bad *** sand blasting setup and wants to blast and paint the bumpers for me. Maybe in another 3 years. Maybe I'll try the Rustoleum for now.
Eh, 3+ years …. what's the hurry … LOL. Looking REALLY good so far, especially compared to a lot of "work vans" that show up at my house looking like salvage yard escapees ….. keep up the great, tasteful work …. your van looks sharp !!

Old 08-16-2019, 09:12 PM
EagleFreek
Senior User
This van has been super reliable. The best vehicle purchase I've ever made. I've put 75k miles on it in the last 20 months with just basic maintenance and a couple cooling hoses going bad. I changed the trans fluid when I first got it and have been wanting to flush the trans for quite some time. I stumbled on some BG synthetic trans fluid on Facebook for $20 for a 3 gallon box. I bought 5 boxes and used about 5.5 gallons today using the directions from Mark Kovalsky found on the forum. The fluid that came out had 85k miles and wasn't that bad looking. I put some tarps on the ground since I'm the clumsiest person in the universe and I'm glad I did. It was an EPA Superfund site when I got done.

Quick Reply: Back for more. Purchased another van.