1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

belt slip in snowy conditions

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 10:08 PM
ScottyDsntKnow
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alloro
Got you beat. I bought their 3/4" drive torque wrench when I had to set the pinion nut on a rear end rebuild. That thing is almost 3' long.

3/4" Torque Wrench

Ive heard the HF torque wrenches are not quite accurate but damn if my $19.99 jobber that goes up to 80 from HF doesn't work great. I probably should spend the $80 for that one for doing the hubs on the truck but... the two I've already done with just using the breaker bar to get the hub nuts tight as hell when they go back on have been totally fine. One I did like 40k miles ago so...

Old 02-07-2015, 11:49 PM
meborder
Received 369 Likes on 264 Posts
Originally Posted by Skauber
Ok, the gap was like that after I ran the engine, so that's fine.

About the idlers, is it normal that they have a somewhat loose fit on the aluminum lug in the block? I've done many many belt replacements before, but this is my first time to do a serpentine belt and replacement of idlers and tensioner, I had the impression that the idlers were supposed to have a somewhat tight fit on the lugs, but these did not have that, even the original ones I pulled off were a bit loose on the lug after the bolt where removed and the ID of the bearings seemed to be the same. They tightened up and seemed fine when the bolts were torqued though, but not sure if that is the way it's meant to be. Is it? Or does this mean my aluminum lugs on the block is getting worn?
it's a fairly loose fit so that they slide on and off easily.

if you look at the bolt that holds the pulley, you'll see the somewhat conical shaped washer that goes against the bearing. when you tighten the bolt, it will square the bearing to the boss and keep the center of the bearing from turning.

unless it is uber loose after tightening, i don't think i'd spend much time worrying about it. if it was that loose, it'd be the wrong pulley and you'd know it right off.

if the idlers aren't wobbling around when the engine is running, you're good.

Old 02-08-2015, 12:01 AM
meborder
double post

Old 02-08-2015, 12:01 AM
meborder
Originally Posted by ScottyDsntKnow
Ive heard the HF torque wrenches are not quite accurate but damn if my $19.99 jobber that goes up to 80 from HF doesn't work great. I probably should spend the $80 for that one for doing the hubs on the truck but... the two I've already done with just using the breaker bar to get the hub nuts tight as hell when they go back on have been totally fine. One I did like 40k miles ago so...
i had bad luck with the one HF torque wrench i had. it lasted about 6 months before the ratchet stripped out on one side.

you could still use it if you spun it around to the side that wasn't stripped, so i used it like that for quite a few years. bad part was, you'd get it on a tooth that would hold about 50 lb-ft then it would strip past causing you to go over center and hit your head on the side of your car when you started leaning on it to tighten a wheel lug.

finally got so mad i just threw it away. still had the life time warranty card in the case ... left it in the case with the wrench when i threw the stupid thing out.

replaced it with this:
T&E Tools 1/2" Drive 250 Ft/lb Clicker Torque Wrench - - Amazon.com T&E Tools 1/2" Drive 250 Ft/lb Clicker Torque Wrench - - Amazon.com

nice tool for the money. i think i got it for $85 locally. nice long handle making even 180 lb-ft relatively easy to pull (the highest i've used so far). The graduations take some getting used to because each 1/2 turn is 25 lb-ft, but not a big deal.

the only real bad thing about it is that 50 lb-ft is as low as it goes, so i had to buy a smaller 10-100 lb-ft 3/8" drive for the small stuff.

Old 02-08-2015, 12:37 AM
Skauber
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by meborder
it's a fairly loose fit so that they slide on and off easily.

if you look at the bolt that holds the pulley, you'll see the somewhat conical shaped washer that goes against the bearing. when you tighten the bolt, it will square the bearing to the boss and keep the center of the bearing from turning.

unless it is uber loose after tightening, i don't think i'd spend much time worrying about it. if it was that loose, it'd be the wrong pulley and you'd know it right off.

if the idlers aren't wobbling around when the engine is running, you're good.

It was the rright pulleys, they matched the ones I pulled off and had the same loose fit, it all snugged up tightly when I tightened the bolts and they definitely do not wobble around so I assume all is well. It's amazing to see the difference, with the old parts the tensioner was dancing around and chasing the tension, as well as the idling was rougher and seemed too low, with a knocking sound that made me think the phasers were going bad. With the new parts, the idling is much smoother and the tensioner is rock solid and doesn't move. The idle sound is now much smoother and quieter, and the knocking went away.. It also idles at a better rpm than before. The bearings on the old were really bad, so it's no surprise... It idled at 500-550 rpm before, now it's at 700 and pretty stable at that.

Bottom line, don't assume the worst if you hear knocking or have rough idling, check the drive belt and idlers first and make sure it's in good shape! I knew it was bad, just have a way of overthinking the sounds I was hearing... lol

Old 02-08-2015, 11:14 AM
alloro
Received 4,207 Likes on 2,450 Posts
Or does this mean my aluminum lugs on the block is getting worn?
Probably since the idler pulleys should be mounted rigidly.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:20 AM
Skauber
Posting Guru
Well, it's pretty tight when the bolts are tightened.. Anyway, what can be done to fix these? Replace the timing cover?

Old 02-08-2015, 11:22 AM
alloro
Received 4,207 Likes on 2,450 Posts
what can be done to fix these? Replace the timing cover?
Yes, or you can helicoil the existing hole to repair the threads.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:42 AM
Skauber
Posting Guru
I'll look into that when I am gonna do the timing set on it, depending on what the timing cover cost. Would be the logical time to replace it if needed, when it's off anyway. Might do the oil pump as well when it's out in the open. but this is a few months down the road, not a pressing issue..