Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Glow Shift gauges

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 10:08 PM
trekbasso
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glow Shift gauges

I am simply passing on my recent experience, not saying one brand is better than another.
My fuel psi gauge has been acting goofy for several months. At idle, or light load, needle swings from 60-100, very erratic. Go to pass and it steadies out. I finally sent GS an email, received a response within 24 hours. "Chris" and I traded emails for a few days, he gave me things to test, and we figured the sensor was bad. Since the gauges are three years old, he couldn't warranty the sensor, but did give me a generous discount on a new one. Plus I received it three days after shipped. All in all I am quite pleased.
And it's fixed.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:48 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
Ditto,
2 yr old gauges from GS. Fuel press started swinging wildly. Kept waiting for truck to shut off. After holding breath till I couldn't, realized it was indication. Called GS, and got a discount on a sending unit, which was already priced really reasonable. Fast shipping and all is well.

I did see in their catalog that they offer a braided hose kit for under $20 that lets you mount the sensor away from the fuel bowl and the vibration of the motor. If mine goes out again I'll probably add that.

Old 01-07-2015, 04:21 AM
kefrko
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Good luck guys. I have my third sending unit in the garage waiting to go on my truck when I do my next fuel filter replacement. I have had my gauges installed for about 15 months. The first one went bad after about 5 months. I received a replacement under warranty. They recommended the braided hose extension for relocation and I was all aboard because trying to get those wires on and off when it was mounted to the fuel bowl was a nightmare. So I mounted number two on the frame work near the passenger side firewall. [IMG][/IMG]
I figured if anything it would make checking the ohms or replacement down the road a little easier. I just didn't expect it to be so shortly down the road. That one died this past summer. I began an email correspondence with them when it happened and they wanted me to get an ohm reading but it wasn't really a priority. I pretty much got use to seeing it read 100psi. Finally I took the reading and I emailed not remembering the exact day in October I bought it the year before and they were going to charge me for it because it was a week past 1 year. I pointed out when that original email was sent, nothing, then I explained how I was through 2 sending units in less then a year of which maybe 8 months they actually worked and the rest of the time I just ignored it and I followed their recommendation and bought the relocation kit and they should stand behind their product and honor the warranty. They agreed. They did try to get me into one of their newer fuel pressure gauges that uses a different type of sending unit so I am curious if that would hold up better. I might have to go that direction if the third one doesn't last. I really wouldn't want to remove that 4 gauge pod and swap one out unless it was absolutely needed. So good luck. Honestly, other then that hiccup with them I have been very happy with the company and their other gauges.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:03 AM
trekbasso
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That sucks that your having issues. I also was glad that it was the sensor, pretty easy fix. I will have to check out the remote mounting, I like that idea.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:14 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
i got 8 of them. My tranny one took a dump, just after a 1yr of use. My egt was first to go, warr fix... (that was fun, removing it. Found that a valve stem cap worked perfect for covering the protruding fitting from the manifold, haha). Anyhow, never did get a discount like you guys recieved, but their replacement was with a black plug connection and wires. Must be their updatd version. The white connections are the ones, for me anyhow, that went haywire.

So far, im rock'n 5 of the tinted 7 color series, and 3 of the std "tinted' series. I dig the std ones better. Doesnt look "cheap". But, wife did hook up the pro for pass side for xmas..

Old 01-08-2015, 04:21 PM
Gaugepro
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Myself... I'd rather run an american made product, then a cheap chinese garbage gauge that fails constantly (but hey they warranty it or give you a discount... UGH)...

Isspro...

Old 01-08-2015, 07:34 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I went through 3 EGT gauges. 3 fuel pressure gauges-2 sending units. I never had a problem with my trans temp or boost. I also ran dual EGTs. This was all within 3-4 years and only one was replaced within warranty. I emailed GS every time and though they were out of warranty most times they always gave me a great discount that made it worthwhile.

I run autometer phantom gauges now and haven't had a single issue

Old 01-09-2015, 07:52 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by JOHN2001
I run autometer phantom gauges now and haven't had a single issue
While I've been pretty happy with my GS gauges I can see having to replace them in the future. Back lighting in the boost gauge is intermittent and my fuel press started fluxing again yesterday(guess they have a bad batch of sending units since this one is only 2 weeks old).

I hope anyone doing a search on FTE for gauge info gets to read the statement above by JOHN2001.

Old 01-10-2015, 12:08 PM
23larry24
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 fuel senders, one boost gauge (backlighting wouldn't dim) in two years. Should have bought american.

Old 01-10-2015, 01:01 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by 23larry24
3 fuel senders, one boost gauge (backlighting wouldn't dim) in two years. Should have bought american.

While I would like to buy everything American and buy all top of the line and buy everything I want for my truck there is a limit. Almost all of the mods in my signature were done within a short time frame along with many things that you don't see because the PO couldn't afford to take care of the truck. I have been able to and will continue to be able to monitor the systems in my truck using the GS gauges. They cost significantly less than anything else I looked at and are a good stop gap until I have time to figure out what I want and source the funds(get momma to agree ).

If I had to hazard a guess without actually researching it I would say that most of the companies that are "American" made probably have some overseas components or tooling or packaging, etc, etc.

When I went looking for reviews on GS gauges I saw plenty of the "They are china crap" and "you should buy American" but not many threads were people had real problems. That's why I commented in this thread so people will have facts to base their decisions on.

Old 01-10-2015, 03:40 PM
Christof13T
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I had AutoMeter Sport Comp gauges that came with my truck.
Boost -30+60 mechanical, diff, trans, and egt.

The egt gauge only shuddered the whole time it was hooked up.
It never worked accurately for me.

The diff temp gauge was also bouncy. I could not get it to stabilize.

The boost gauge always read low compared to what I saw on the MAP.

Dunno about the long term reliability of the trans temp gauge... it did not have a probe connected to it when I got the truck and I had only installed one a few months prior to getting my GlowShift gauges.

I ended up getting a great deal on a set of Max Tow gauges from a member on here who sold his truck and never installed them.

Much procrastination occurred before I actually got around to installing them.
Once I did... i was pissed that I had done so much procrastinating.

Much more visible than the auto's.
Much clearer to read.
Brighter but not overpowering.
Very stable gauge readings.
Dual readout is very nice.

My only gripes are:
My trans temp gauge sits in the top hole of the 4 pod a pillar cluster.
My seal job on the cab marker lights failed to hold when I swapped in the smoked lenses and l.e.d's.
It leaked during a downpour and filled the pod housing the trans temp gauge and it is now deceased...

The other complaint...

When i cycle my ignition and power up the system... at first the gauges light up with a red backlight instead of the green. I would be extatic if i could rig them in such a way that the red stays on after self test and nix the green.

Beyond that they have been excellent.

Best quality, and American manufacturing are no longer automatically synonymous.
Sad, but the bitter truth.

Old 01-10-2015, 04:01 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by AllaboutMPG

I hope anyone doing a search on FTE for gauge info gets to read the statement above by JOHN2001.
Thanks. I'd rep ya but my phone is acting up

Old 01-10-2015, 09:51 PM
Gaugepro
More Turbo
Originally Posted by AllaboutMPG
While I would like to buy everything American and buy all top of the line and buy everything I want for my truck there is a limit. Almost all of the mods in my signature were done within a short time frame along with many things that you don't see because the PO couldn't afford to take care of the truck. I have been able to and will continue to be able to monitor the systems in my truck using the GS gauges. They cost significantly less than anything else I looked at and are a good stop gap until I have time to figure out what I want and source the funds(get momma to agree ).

If I had to hazard a guess without actually researching it I would say that most of the companies that are "American" made probably have some overseas components or tooling or packaging, etc, etc.

When I went looking for reviews on GS gauges I saw plenty of the "They are china crap" and "you should buy American" but not many threads were people had real problems. That's why I commented in this thread so people will have facts to base their decisions on.
Isspro gauges are made in the USA, right in Portland Oregon. Only thing not made in house or in the USA are things simply not made in the US anymore.

I sell at least 2 sets a week to people sick of dealing with glow shift replacements... and I am a nobody in gauge sales overall.

Old 01-10-2015, 10:27 PM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Gaugepro
Isspro gauges are made in the USA, right in Portland Oregon. Only thing not made in house or in the USA are things simply not made in the US anymore.

I sell at least 2 sets a week to people sick of dealing with glow shift replacements... and I am a nobody in gauge sales overall.
The link took me to Amazon (should it have)?

Old 01-10-2015, 10:32 PM
Gaugepro
More Turbo
Originally Posted by dn29626
The link took me to Amazon (should it have)?
What link?

Quick Reply: Glow Shift gauges