1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Is this shill bidding or what?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 09:27 PM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 637 Likes on 338 Posts
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe

Hopefully, that thread has ended so I can stop being assaulted by the OP's comments after they've been quoted.
Talking about a different thread by someone else, right?

Old 12-30-2014, 09:40 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 618 Likes on 383 Posts
Originally Posted by Harrier
Why would anyone bid on a truck like this when you can just contact the dealership and see the price and deal directly with them instead of the uncertainty of ebay bids.

I think that's the point of a lot of these dealer auctions. They basically get low-cost advertising to a national (even international) audience, set a high reserve, then sell it off-eBay if it doesn't make it to Reserve. No eBay fees, and they can deal from the high bid instead of some lower number.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:42 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by pineconeford
Talking about a different thread by someone else, right?

Yes sir. A different thread by someone else.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:24 PM
49 Merc P/U
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That truck is what I would call 'wam bam thank you mam". Do you think that it would pass a safety inspection? It does not look like anything has been done to the suspension, king pins, tie rods etc. If you look at the front springs there are not that many leaves, hence the blocks.

Bruce

Old 12-31-2014, 06:07 AM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gicknordon
Off topic from the discussion but on topic for the truck, why are there lift block on the front axle?
I belive some of the leafs is missing as well

Old 12-31-2014, 08:22 AM
GrifN
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
I think that's the point of a lot of these dealer auctions. They basically get low-cost advertising to a national (even international) audience, set a high reserve, then sell it off-eBay if it doesn't make it to Reserve. No eBay fees, and they can deal from the high bid instead of some lower number.
I think you're hitting the nail on the head. They're getting broad, free advertising. If they are trying to sell from their dealership for $17k, they can set the reserve at, say, $25k (or whatever they deem as the "price of dealing with eBay"). In addition to the advertising and potentially higher-than-market selling price, they can see what the truck is really worth in case someone tries to come in and wheel-and-deal at their dealer lot.

Old 01-19-2015, 04:40 PM
pineconeford

OK folks, here is an update on that truck for sale. (see first post)
It is currently being listed on E-Bay for at least the seventh consecutive time in a row that I'm aware of.
To recap the history:
Listing 1 top bid $15,300
Listing 2 top bid $15,500
Listing 3 top bid $13,600
Listing 4 top bid $12,100
Listing 5 top bid $9,500
Listing 6 top bid $7,600 (ended today)
It was just re-listed again.

Thay 'mystery' bidder has made regular appearances in these listings when the action gets slow.

But something more unusual is happening. Lately each time it is put back up there, the top bid is considerable less than the time before. Are folks smartening up after seeing it so many times?
The auction description & details haven't changed. I don't see a whole lot of competitive trucks listed in the last few weeks that would cause interest in this one to drop in half.
The seller probably should have accepted the top legitimate bid two months ago when folks were more excited about it.

Anyway, just thought I'd give an update....I'm still watching this one cause it is like a sitcom with a new episode every week. But now I am baffled as to what it might really be worth in today's market, it's gone from too high to too low in my opinion.
Having a questionable bidder involved so frequently in it has likely been a factor though.

Tom

Old 01-19-2015, 04:49 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by pineconeford

But something more unusual is happening. Lately each time it is put back up there, the top bid is considerable less than the time before. Are folks smartening up after seeing it so many times?...
I'd bet the Reserve has been lowered, and the shill doesn't want to exceed it, because then it would "sell".

Old 01-19-2015, 05:10 PM
Bluey Zedoff
Laughing Gas
Received 80 Likes on 40 Posts
I think eBay is responsible for a lot of weird behaviour. I know if I am selling something, I will often drop the price, change the buy now option, drop it lower, change the photo, change the wording a bit. even change the colour of the text all to try and grab the buyer's attention. Does it work? Maybe sometimes it does.
I often set a reasonable price for something, but by the time it sells, I am thinking; Geez, I sold that too cheap.

Old 01-19-2015, 06:31 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
LOL nothing quickie about that resto!
I bet it was scuffed, mudded (no body seams on the front fenders, lower valence, etc), and sprayed with harbor freight red paint with little to no masking. They couldnt even rattle can black the firewall and hood hinges after getting red overspray all over them!
But I bet this would bid higher than my rat rod truck I am building now just because of the shiny red paint

Old 01-19-2015, 07:12 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 789 Likes on 387 Posts
Well keep an eye on it for us Tom. I would be interested in what it finally sells for.
It's still on their web site for $16,999
Classic Car Liquidators 1952 Ford F1 Pickup - $16,999

Old 01-19-2015, 07:16 PM
Ibuildmyown
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs down

Looks good in first picture. Then under side total crap sandwich, same under the hood. lipstick on a pig with that one.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:55 PM
pineconeford

Joe, I'll keep watching it for sure. It looks like legitimate bidders were willing to pay over 15K at first but now it is less than half that with the same pictures and description.
All I can think of was that it was just before Christmas when the closing bids were the highest so that might be a good time of year to list a truck for sale. (when folks are in a spending mood)
After the holidays now that the credit cards bills are arriving.......much more restraint is evident! It's been a weekly adventure.
If he lists it 12 more times we can plot a graph and try to pin world economic news events to the price fluctuations. And the Superbowl effect, Valentines Day effect, tax refund effect, St Patrick's Day beer effect, etc.

Good winter thing to do when it's too cold outside to play with trucks.

Tom

Old 01-19-2015, 08:20 PM
pineconeford

Originally Posted by drptop70ss
....(no body seams on the front fenders, lower valence, etc), ...

Now that you mention it, the horizontal feature line on both front fenders just disappears doesn't it?
The truck is still in better shape than 75% of the F-1's in my neck of the woods. I see some 53-56's around that have no fender lip feature visible at all, we know that takes a 1/2" thick of filler to do that. Glooped on with a masonry trowel like they plan to lay bricks in it. Poof - new fender design.

I keep thinking that this truck should fetch about 9,000 just the way it is because even though it has some cons - it does run, drive, stop and can turn heads from 20' away. When the bids went so much higher than that at first I thought the market was rebounding in the direction of like it was ten years ago. But the re-listings of this truck show that it is all over the place. (see post #22 )

Anyone else see this as a $9,000 truck?

Old 01-19-2015, 09:40 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
It's a $9k truck if you are blind in one eye and can't see out of the other. Seriously, I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't want a trailer queen and would be thrilled to put out the $9k and have a driving truck to putter around in, no muss or fuss. That thrill might wear thin after the bondo starts cracking, but who knows?