1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Taking F150 out of storage, restart engine safely?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2003, 02:43 PM
John15016
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Taking F150 out of storage, restart engine safely?

I am taking my 78' F150 out of 6 years storage and need to find out about the restart on the engine. The gas tank has been emptied and the fuel line to the brand new carb is clean. What about using a "spray fluid" in the cylinders to free up debris safely? I remember about pulling the plugs and motoring it over but I am concerned about rust and debris aroung the valves and pistons.

Old 07-19-2003, 06:03 PM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Cool Taking F150 out of storage, restart engine safely?

Unless you've had the plugs out for a while, or had the intake manifold open and uncovered you will be OK, I think I'd pour a little marvel mystery oil into the cylinders before cranking, and may be even prime the oil pump, clean gasoline,carb, fresh plugs, give it a shot.

Old 07-19-2003, 06:34 PM
tack338
Junior User

I know with many engines, you can pull the distributor, use an old distributor shaft or make one and attach it to the drill (minus any gear) and then spin the drill the same direction the dist. turns, this should prime the oil pump and get it to the bearings ASAP then a squirt of oil in each plug hole would not hurt either, VROOM!

Old 07-19-2003, 10:03 PM
John15016
New User

It worked! I had just finished replacing all the fuel lines and ran the after-market electric fuel pump to purge the lines and BAM! When we rotated the motor over, it fired off like the day it was driven off the assembly line. Went right up and held RPM's even with no adjustment on the new carb.

I forgot though, until we were puting new gas in the tank. I should have included in my post that this FORUM had recommended spraying a NAPA "loosening" product (I forgot the product and cannot find the can) in the cylinders and I had DONE THAT LAST YEAR! Sorry for the omission.

You guys are great!

Old 07-20-2003, 06:43 PM
Ford1978F-150Ford
Freshman User

What my uncle did on his fairlane was, drian all the liquids, refill with new ones, (including the tranny) and then go to each cylinder and spray some WD-40 and if there is rust i would consider not starting it because it could mess some stuff up.

Any way good luck

Old 07-20-2003, 09:31 PM
JSRhone
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whe I bought my F350 sat for 10 years. First I turn the engine by hand to be sure it was not frozen, (turn the fan blade). Second turned the engine over with the coil wire unpluged from the coil. Third after reconnecting the coil wire, put a tablespoon of gas in the carb and it started right up till the gas ran out. Turn engine and it started on its own after a back push of gas out the top of the carb.

The only thing wrong was the acccelarator pump leaked and it ran rough.

Rebuilt the carb, set the timing, been running ever since.

Joanne

Old 08-02-2003, 01:33 AM
John15016
New User

I finally found the "loosening product". It is "B'laster PB". (a penetrating catalyst). Anyhow, this is the spray that sprayed into the cylinders last year. Like I said, this allowed the motor to turn right over and kept running, no smoke or anything !
A minor tune up is in order but we will not get it back from the Tranmission shop unitl Monday.

Again, thanks for the help. Now if I can stop the two cab leaks...