General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

A $billion here, a $billion there

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2003, 09:00 AM
georgedavila
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just read where the Libera US peacekeeping force is expected to be a brigade of 5,000 troops. If the pentagon number of $250,000 per overseas troop cost is used, that's over $1.25 billion a year, $104 million a month.

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/mld/san...cs/6335469.htm

With two million people currently unemployed in the US (that doesn't include those who have already fallen off the statistical tables because they've exhausted their unemployment benefits), it seems strange to be spending that kind of money on other countries, especially one going through a civil war. We certainly didn't have any help, other than some materials from France, in our revolution or civil war.

Old 07-19-2003, 09:09 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I see you're getting the soapbox out again.

Old 07-19-2003, 09:10 AM
georgedavila
Postmaster

Fleas and such were getting boring.

Old 07-19-2003, 09:32 AM
Targus
FIX YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS!

Old 07-19-2003, 09:37 AM
bigdmizer
Elder User

Hi George nice to hear from you again.
Did you happen to read a transcript of Tony Blair's speech to congress the other day? I thought it was well worded and inspiring. What Tony Blair said sums up the thinking as to why America goes out of it's way to get involved. On the other hand helping our own citizens first, should be a higher priority. While I do not want to give a boost to welfare programs and such, I think job programs need to be revamped and more fully funded. Our Economy is supposed to be on the rise, but with unemployment rates what they are, you would never know it.

Old 07-19-2003, 09:45 AM
bigdmizer
Elder User
Old 07-19-2003, 09:59 AM
georgedavila
Postmaster

I was once married to an Englishwoman and she always laughed at how easy it was to appease most Americans by merely telling them what they wanted to hear. When compared to other, older established societies, we have a tendency to isolate ourselves from reality.

Old 07-19-2003, 10:06 AM
AlabamaBronco
Senior User

I will probably get flamed for this response, but here it goes....
First off I dont think that is the governments job to support the unemployed. It is the individuals responsibility to make sure they have planned for unforseen lapses in employment. If your are out of work in your preferred occupation maybe it is time for a new career. When I was out of work due to surgery, I was faced with having to find an alternate form of employment. I took a 50% cut in pay however I wasnt deep in debt so I could absorb the loss. I was out of work for about 2 months. There were no disability or unemployment benefits available, so I relied on my savings to weather the rough times.
I dont think it is our government's job to support other countries either. However, a certain amount of financial assistance is required in oreder to keep our allies and pacify those who aren't.
What this country needs to do is revamp our current ways of providing support to those who choose not to support themselves. Whether it is individuals on welfare, corporations through outrages tax advantages and loop holes, or 3rd world countries with their collective hands out.
I fail to understand why people are upset with an unemployment figure of say 6 or 7 %. To me it says that 93 or 94% of the people ARE employed. I guess it all depends on how you look at things.

Old 07-19-2003, 10:58 AM
georgedavila
Postmaster

When our economy was diversified and contained strong industrial output in world markets, unemployment tended to have less of an effect on our economy as a whole.

With the move to a service level economy, we're not realizing the profits from foreign trade we formerly enjoyed, or tax revenue, and now any person you remove from employment spends less in the service sector and that has more of a direct impact on the economy.

I'm against government handouts and military spending on matters that enhance internal images without providing solutions (I seem to be in a small minority on this forum) as it doesn't address the base problems.

Old 07-19-2003, 11:18 AM
theologian
Postmaster

How to get unpopular really quickly....

The greatest part of my life to date, was in the military. I loved every minute of it, despite being in active service in every war from 1971 to 1993. I been shot at, but survived, I have been shouted at a few times, but survived that as well..

SO, my thinking is, if there is to be a program of going whupping things in the American future, why not give the unemployed the wonderful opportunity of becoming military personnel - not by drafting, that is annoying, but by incentives that give great opportunities - if serving non combatant personnel wish to get more action, fill their post with a recruit from the unemployment line. That way, less jobless folk getting into messes, and more discipline for the people who have none.

Theo

Old 07-19-2003, 11:40 AM
georgedavila
Postmaster

That used to be a standard solution for many cities, towns and burgs. When the police got fed up with a habitual troublemaker, that person was told to join the military or expect to spend some serious jail time in prisons that didn't offer TV, body building programs, full-time legal assistance for free or sympathy.

The military of that era was structured around absolute disipline often involving physical violence for slow learners. The Marine Corp and some special services are about the only military branches not currently touting themselves as a stepping stone to a glowing civilian career and all now reject applicants or cull out individuals who have shown a lack of social responsibility.

Old 07-19-2003, 11:51 AM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Funny George and others keep beating the unemployment drum.

I am retired Army and now Department of the Army Civilian. Get to travel to many major and some minor cities 15-20 times a year. I also interview and employ folks at fairly good temporary wages. In this capacity I interact with many city and state employment offices.

Truth is there are millions of recruitments and few qualified applicants. I have trouble with getting folks who are willing to work for $12-$17HR, show up on time, stay for a shift and not lie on an application or during the interview.

Oh yea , the work is data collecting, observing soldiers do a task and fill out a parer form or enter same data on a well designed computer database. We provide excellent training.

Bottom line there are companies SCREAMING for reliable, skilled, competent workers.

Government safety net causes a whole generation to not know pain, and become "dependent". These facts have caused more than a few citizens to now believe they are entitled to a free ride!

Get real George, read the want ads in any major paper (Seattle last week on Sunday had 22 Pages of jobs!)

Old 07-19-2003, 04:11 PM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good for you, George! I, for one, enjoy the soapbox.
Dono

Old 07-19-2003, 04:57 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Obvoiusly some people don't know anything about economics.

The unemployed are a very vital part of our economy. We need them to keep inflation/deflation in check. Plus they keep our wages higher. If there was no where else for you to work do you think that your boss would pay you much? I know that the unemployed are good. Ideally we need about 3-5% of our population to be unemployed.

Old 07-19-2003, 05:00 PM
76supercab2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just read where the Libera US peacekeeping force is expected to be a brigade of 5,000 troops. If the pentagon number of $250,000 per overseas troop cost is used, that's over $1.25 billion a year, $104 million a month.

Instead of just shaking my head and going silently away I thought I'd let you know. I don't care. Goodby.

Quick Reply: A $billion here, a $billion there