auxiliary cargo light 2 switches?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 05:06 PM
work.truck
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
auxiliary cargo light 2 switches?

I am hooking axillary cargo lights up to the back rack of my truck. I'm going to hook them to a switch on my dash simple enough. but I would also like to install a switch in the box of my truck. I would like to be able to turn the lights on from inside the truck or outside the truck. I know how to use relays I know how basic wiring works just looking for maybe some diagrams. I just want to make sure I do it properly I'm using spst on/off led toggle switches and I don't want any back feed. Im not trying to make it act like a 3 way switch. Either i use one switch or the other but they do not work together. I'm wondering if I can run the wire from each switch into one relay but just want to be sure. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated thank you

Old 12-13-2014, 07:27 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,701 Likes on 1,375 Posts
Do you really need relays? If the lights are really large you will, but if they do not draw much it will be simpler to just use switches.

I am going to assume you will want to wire it like a 3 way switch circuit in your house; You can switch either switch from either spot and turn the lights on or off.

I don't think you will be able to use led switches, since the switch can be in either position and the lights can be on or off. Just like a 3 way switch in your house does not say "on" and "off" since it can be up or down and the lights can be on or off in either position.

I believe a Autozone #85905 switch will work for you. It can handle 15 amps, which would be about 180w of lights.

Do you know how to hook up a 3 way switch in a house?

Old 12-13-2014, 07:50 PM
work.truck
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Franklin2
Do you really need relays? If the lights are really large you will, but if they do not draw much it will be simpler to just use switches.

I am going to assume you will want to wire it like a 3 way switch circuit in your house; You can switch either switch from either spot and turn the lights on or off.

I don't think you will be able to use led switches, since the switch can be in either position and the lights can be on or off. Just like a 3 way switch in your house does not say "on" and "off" since it can be up or down and the lights can be on or off in either position.

I believe a Autozone #85905 switch will work for you. It can handle 15 amps, which would be about 180w of lights.

Do you know how to hook up a 3 way switch in a house?
Ya i wasnt planning on going the 3 way switch route. I have 20 amp toggles so i do not need to use relays. Do you have any ideas for just two separate switches that operate one load.?

Old 12-14-2014, 06:32 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,701 Likes on 1,375 Posts
If you want to do it that way, find your spot for power, come out and split it into two wires. One goes to one switch, the other goes to the other switch. The wires on the other side of the switches then feed the lights.

Did you edit your first post? You said you did not want to wire it like a 3-way switch. If you did not change it, I totally overlooked that point, sorry.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:41 AM
work.truck
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Franklin2
If you want to do it that way, find your spot for power, come out and split it into two wires. One goes to one switch, the other goes to the other switch. The wires on the other side of the switches then feed the lights.

Did you edit your first post? You said you did not want to wire it like a 3-way switch. If you did not change it, I totally overlooked that point, sorry.
I think i was editing it as you were typing your first response lol ... its that easy eh? Cool thank you again... you also helped me with the reverse light wire under the hood