2015 - 2020 F150 Discuss the 2015 - 2020 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts
View Poll Results: Are the concerns about the aluminum 2015 F150 overblown?
Yes, the truck shouldnt be discounted due to possible future repair costs.
77.27%
No, the concerns are founded. Repair costs should be factored into these awards.
22.73%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Question of the Week: Are the concerns about the 2015 F150 overblown?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 01:09 PM
Patrick R.
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question of the Week: Are the concerns about the 2015 F150 overblown?

More than a few members of the media are downplaying the 2015 Ford F150 due to the aluminum body panels and the possible increases in repair costs. It is a great truck, but some outlets are favoring other trucks simply because theyre made of steel.

Do you think that the negativity from some media outlets about the 2015 F150 aluminum body is being blown out of proportion? Make your pick in the poll above and voice your opinion on the anti-F150 outlets in the comments below.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:55 PM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow currently at a 50/50 tie on this one.

I voted yes the concerns were overblown, which mean's that I only tied the score.

It's hard for me to honestly say though, I don't know much about metal work or Aluminum. I know the basics, Aluminum corrodes, where Steel rusts, Aluminum is much lighter than Steel, but also more expensive to repair.

I don't know...Even though I voted yes, I'm already somewhat second guessing myself. I have heard that Ford is training people to repair their new trucks, which is a plus for the argument for Aluminum vehicles.

I do know one thing for a fact though...I do not like that vehicle's are becoming ever more expensive. I think the starting price for a base model 2015 F-150 is what? 26,000? 27,000? somewhere in between there, I remember when you could get a new F-150 for around 16,000, hell just 10 years ago you could get a loaded diesel Superduty for under 50K, now that truck would cost 70K+.

It's ridiculous how expensive new vehicles are becoming. I paid 39K for my 2011 F-150 FX4 5.0L and I plan to hang onto it for MANY years to come.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:27 PM
Beechkid
Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts
When I bought my Mark LT...the list IIRR was $8k with tax, lic, etc....I got it out the door for $38,500....and that came with the 4 year/50k mile bumper to bumper warranty, all service for the 1st year (which they kept doing free for the next two years) and a free car wash weekly for 5 years.

Old 12-13-2014, 05:20 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,231 Likes on 808 Posts
Ford has been using aluminum for years. Granted, until now, the hoods and liftgates were replaced rather than repaired. That IMHO could be more costly.

I don't think Ford is going to sacrifice it's brand on a hunch. Aluminum is fine.

Old 12-13-2014, 09:33 AM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I must say that I am very concerned about the escalating prices of new vehicles. I doubt that it can be blamed on labor costs any longer as the automakers including Ford are increasingly using multi-tier labor contracts and phasing out the high paid workers through the use of early retirement buyouts. The wage and benefit package is much less than in the past. In the 70's the gross profit for the automakers was in the 15% range on most vehicles whereas it's presently nearer to 40%. Add to that the increases in raw materials, government regulations, utilities, transportation, and so on, plus the increased cost of repair and maintenance on newer vehicles one has to wonder where the tipping point is for the masses not being able to afford a vehicle at all.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:06 AM
1piece-at-atime
New User
At the shop where I work we've been adding equipment, and training, for the new F150 for months. It's been a big investment. We are now certified by Ford for aluminum repair. One of the training classes I attended about half of the people were from the insurance industry. They said that insurance costs were supposed to be comparable to 2014 trucks. And instructors say the new trucks are supposed to be very repairable. Is there going to be a learning curve for all involved? Yes! But we in the collision industry have been working with aluminum panels for quite a few years. All auto manufacturers have made big changes in how cars and trucks react in a collision. There are many different types of steel used to make car bodies safer. In the trade we learn to adjust. We have to.

Old 12-15-2014, 04:38 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,231 Likes on 808 Posts
Originally Posted by 1piece-at-atime
At the shop where I work we've been adding equipment, and training, for the new F150 for months. It's been a big investment. We are now certified by Ford for aluminum repair. One of the training classes I attended about half of the people were from the insurance industry. They said that insurance costs were supposed to be comparable to 2014 trucks. And instructors say the new trucks are supposed to be very repairable. Is there going to be a learning curve for all involved? Yes! But we in the collision industry have been working with aluminum panels for quite a few years. All auto manufacturers have made big changes in how cars and trucks react in a collision. There are many different types of steel used to make car bodies safer. In the trade we learn to adjust. We have to.
A most incredible first post!!! Great attitude sir and welcome to FTE!

Old 12-15-2014, 09:11 AM
2015er
Junior User
Well, I am truck buyer this year (hence the alias) and I was genuinely split between the 2015 Ford F150 (Lariat) and the Ram 1500 (Laramie) - Chevy/GMC in my opinion are lagging and not on my purchase radar screen.

To be frank and to the point, last Friday I ordered a 2015 Ram Laramie, 4x4, quad cab, with a v6 pentastar, 3.55 rear axle and fairly decked out - 4 corner air suspension and Ram boxes among other things.

I was really considering the 2.7L Lariat and decided on the Ram and I tell you why and it wasn;t the risk of repair - I think this is really the least of the concerns with the new 2015 F150. to me there were two bigger disappoints - first the mileage - let's be frank - not great and huge disappointment. Second, the lagging delivery to the dealers - it seems like I waited and waited - I live in upstate NY and there is not a dealer within a 100 miles that has the 2015 in stock to test drive and none of the early orders include the 2.7 - they are all 5.0's and 3.5's. I mean what the hell??? They started shipping in early November and there are bunches showing up on the dealer inventory screens but they are all "in route". Latest word is now its going to be January!!!! Plus all are crew cabs - I wanted a super cab. No supercabs are forthcoming on the early order lists. I don't know about you but I am not ordering a $50k + vehicle sight unseen and without a test drive. I literally could afford to wait no longer. I test drove a 2015 Ram and it was beautiful - the dealer had a v6 Laramie for me to try - very responsive - plenty of power (at least for me anyhow) and no turbo charging to worry about - naturally aspirated motor - less mechanical complexity but with good power and acceleration - so I went the Ram - maybe by June or September there'll be a full complement of F150's in stock and ready to sell...to bad I was really interested too.

Old 12-15-2014, 06:05 PM
BIGRED 7.3L
Elder User
[QUOTE=1piece-at-atime;14905482]At the shop where I work we've been adding equipment, and training, for the new F150 for months. It's been a big investment. We are now certified by Ford for aluminum repair. One of the training classes I attended about half of the people were from the insurance industry. They said that insurance costs were supposed to be comparable to 2014 trucks. And instructors say the new trucks are supposed to be very repairable. Is there going to be a learning curve for all involved? Yes! But we in the collision industry have been working with aluminum panels for quite a few years. All auto manufacturers have made big changes in how cars and trucks react in a collision. There are many different types of steel used to make car bodies safer. In the trade we learn to adjust. We have to.[/QUOTE]
Makes the most sense to me! I am not just saying that because I ordered one...well maybe a little. But, to me it's a no brainer that autobody has changed there techniques/innovation right along with every other automotive change. There will be no issue with the concerns on auto repair in my opinion.

Edit: This was a quote from the link below that Edtahaney provided

Old 12-15-2014, 06:08 PM
BIGRED 7.3L
Elder User
[QUOTE=2015er;14906128]They started shipping in early November and there are bunches showing up on the dealer inventory screens but they are all "in route". Latest word is now its going to be January!!!!

Are you stating that there will be no 2.7L until January or no 2015's on lots until then? I have seen 7 3.5ECO on lots and touched two since Tuesday of last week.

Old 12-15-2014, 06:23 PM
edtahaney
FTE Editor
Have No Fear, Aluminum is Here

Read the latest post by Chad Kirchner here:

Have No Fear, Aluminum is Here - Ford Trucks

Lots of good points in favor of aluminum too.

Thanks!

Old 12-15-2014, 07:11 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
I'm not worried about Aluminum panels. The last 2 times I had body work done on a car, the body shop didn't fix the panels they just put new ones on. I was told it's cheaper, faster and better than repairing damaged panels. The media naysayers will blast Ford today for pushing forward with great ideas, then praise everyone else in the future when they catch-up.

I'm glad to hear there is some special training going on. Thanks 1piece-at-atime.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:13 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by 1piece-at-atime

Welcome to the forum. Are you a Johnny Cash fan? I do like that song.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:14 PM
1piece-at-atime
New User
Originally Posted by xr7gt390
Welcome to the forum. Are you a Johnny Cash fan? I do like that song.
Thanks guy's, for the warm welcome, and yes I am a Johnny Cash fan.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:21 PM
1piece-at-atime
New User
Originally Posted by tseekins
A most incredible first post!!! Great attitude sir and welcome to FTE!
Thank you Tim. I hope to take way more than I can possibly give to this forum. But I do have my moments!

Quick Reply: Question of the Week: Are the concerns about the 2015 F150 overblown?