Sponsored by: DP Tuner

amature Truck pulling

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 08:35 PM
Michel153
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
amature Truck pulling

hello powerstroker friends this is not my normal area of posting. I drive a 95 f-150 with the 351W. would like to get into truck pulls I tried asking in my 1988-1996 area of this forum but not much help there. I have a stock truck and I just want to stay in the stock class I am completely new to the sport but I have always loved it. Do you the Diesel guys have any tips on what to do or how to set up my truck. and before anyone says buy a diesel I would love to! only im 19 and a college student :P I will one day! thanks for the help!

Old 12-11-2014, 08:43 PM
sgarder
Senior User
Have you tried posting in competition forum? Keep scrolling down. I think they will will help you.

Old 12-12-2014, 11:28 AM
Smokiesman
Posting Guru
You say your 19 ! Well son I hope you make lots of money because from what I have seen and heard that sport can cost you some serious bucks in broken parts! Also I hope you have a lot of free time and are handy with tools ! But I can not think of any sport that puts as much stress on a piece of machinery as sled pullin! JMO: I am sure some others will give there opinions .

Smokie

Old 12-12-2014, 08:13 PM
Michel153
Senior User
Originally Posted by Smokiesman
You say your 19 ! Well son I hope you make lots of money because from what I have seen and heard that sport can cost you some serious bucks in broken parts! Also I hope you have a lot of free time and are handy with tools ! But I can not think of any sport that puts as much stress on a piece of machinery as sled pullin! JMO: I am sure some others will give there opinions .

Smokie
Smokey you are quite right but as I don't "need" my truck to get to work on Monday this dose leave me with the ability to take the time I need to fix what ever brakes. I am pretty handing with tools but what ever I cant fix I am lucky enough to have friends who can! haha thanks for your input tho these are still better and waaay less negative then my "age group" on this site! Thanks again and im still open to opinons

Old 12-12-2014, 10:45 PM
glockholiday
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The 1st problem I see stock trucks have is wheel hop. So new HD shocks would be the only thing I'd do before my 1st pull. Then go from there if you have any problems.

Old 12-12-2014, 11:13 PM
twigsV10
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The soft rear springs are the biggest culprit for wheel hop on the F150, I haven't done any competitive pulling but adding some extra leaf springs from a F250 for more weight capacity it also eliminated the spring wrap induced hop in my old F150.

Old 12-12-2014, 11:23 PM
twigsV10
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If your running 3.08 gears that would be a good place to start upgrading, with a gear ratio that tall you will be putting a huge strain on the transmission and especially in 4low the driveline.

Old 12-13-2014, 11:35 AM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
Go to the pull with another truck and trailer just in case something breaks that can't be replaced in the pits or limped home with.
The shocks are a good idea. Air the tires down to 12-15 psi or so. You want just enough air to keep them on the bead.
If they give you a choice of High or Low Hook, high hook will put more weight/traction on your truck but also puts huge stress on your axles.
If your truck is an auto tranny, give 4x4 low and second gear a try.
When the flag drops, do not jerk. The sled will move fairly easy at first but get heavy fast. Push the throttle to the floor in a smooth manner, within 25 feet or so.
Don't watch your mirror. Watch where you are going and the flag man ahead.
Have fun and let us know how you do.

Old 12-13-2014, 12:11 PM
MK2Pierce
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Michel153
Smokey you are quite right but as I don't "need" my truck to get to work on Monday this dose leave me with the ability to take the time I need to fix what ever brakes. I am pretty handing with tools but what ever I cant fix I am lucky enough to have friends who can! haha thanks for your input tho these are still better and waaay less negative then my "age group" on this site! Thanks again and im still open to opinons
I've turned wrenches on a couple pulling trucks. This being your only vehicle I wouldn't recommend it. I've seen frames twisted and snapped, axle housings broken, and drivetrains destroyed. Until you're in a position to basically throw a few grand out the window, I'd buddy up to someone with a puller (preferably close to what you have) and see first hand what it does to these trucks. In my experience you're pretty much condemning that vehicle.

Old 12-13-2014, 12:24 PM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
^^^
That brings up another point.
Don't go big and aggressive with the tires. You want to break traction before you break the truck.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:56 PM
Michel153
Senior User
Originally Posted by HD Rider
^^^
That brings up another point.
Don't go big and aggressive with the tires. You want to break traction before you break the truck.
Thanks thats good to know

Old 12-22-2014, 03:01 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
There's not too much to say other then you're gonna get your "butt" handed to you and if you're lucky you won't break anything.

Since you have almost no budget I'm guessing on upgrading parts at least remember this.... When it starts hopping, STOP!!! Let off the skinny pedal and admit you're done. You can YouTube plenty of guys trying to get that last foot and it rains havoc on everything.

If you get the itch and become addicted to doing it your first time there's a laundry list of things that need to be upgraded on that little F150, so long infact that your best bet is keep it as a driver and buy a real truck.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:06 PM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
My first time, I got my butt handed to me, but it sure was fun.

Old 12-23-2014, 11:24 AM
jgilrfr
Laughing Gas
keep us posted how it goes and good luck

Old 08-13-2015, 04:20 PM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
I'm getting ready for another pull tonight and was wondering how it went for you.

Quick Reply: amature Truck pulling