6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Jolly Green Giant...2015 F-350 KR DRW

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 07:25 AM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 4,054 Likes on 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by Skip1970
boy if them ld axles were closer id buy them for my car trailer. i want 8 luggers
Shipping would be a wee bit pricey.......

Old 03-23-2018, 07:29 AM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by djousma
thats the other "problem" with these brake conversions...is how to dispose of the take-off parts. I should have recycled the drums/hubs, but there isn't anywhere nearby where I live to do that. My garbage collector wasn't too happy for a couple weeks, as I disposed of that stuff in the trash....Roy has two complete axle assemblies to sell/recycle or just let grass grow up around behind his garage.
I will try to sell them........
Otherwise, we have a recycle center here that I use for any of my scrap metals....

Old 03-23-2018, 07:30 AM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by Paw's 150 Lariat
Put trash in front of our houses and people riding by will stop and pick through stuff that they want before the real trash collectors come by. "American pickers"???
We do that here too.......

Better than "Nose Pickers".......

Old 03-23-2018, 08:16 AM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,611 Likes on 739 Posts
Last July I replaced the two axles on my horse trailer. They were Torrsion Bar axles instead of the springs. I upgraded from 6,000 lbs to 7,000lbs and from 22° up to 22 ° Down on the Swing arm. So this lifted my trailer by 6" giving me better ground clearance and a chance for my horses to practice jumping everytime they get in or out.

I had a local supplier build the axles. Just gave them the length from center of tire to center of tire and the mounting brackets. They had them ready two days later. The mobile trailer repair guy, picked them up and brought them out and had them installed in 30 minutes. It was $1400 for the whole deal. Upgraded axles, Trailer lift, and new brakes.

I Hauled the two old axles to scrap recycling and got all of about $20 for them. Probably didn't pay for the fuel I used driving over. But they were out of my yard.

Old 03-23-2018, 10:02 AM
Chad149
Lead Driver
Received 508 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by golfmedik
Okay guys, that still just doesn't add up. Most 6k axles have 1/2" studs, 7k have 9/16" studs and 8k have 5/8". I know some of the 8k have the 5/8" but are they only with the 17.5" wheel setups?

Roy, I don't think I have ever seen a 7k axle with 1/2" studs. Unless I am totally way off, something just does add up with what they are saying...

I'm surprised to see the axles going in already That is awesome! When all said and done, I really want to do this, but just do not understand what they are saying. So, your wheels fit the axles with the 9/16 if they come with 1/2"?
Sorry for so many questions Roy, as this is still a learning process evidently as I thought I knew how they were sold and used. Evidently I still have a LOT to understand.
Some are, some aren't. Our Momentum had 1/2 studded 7k axles. In my observation, a lot of the tri axles have the 9/16 studs, I'm guessing due to the amount of tire scrub turning. The 1/2 studs on the 7k axles are much fatter where they press in at over lessor axles that use 1/2" studs. 🍺

Anybody else having trouble viewing Roy's picture? I'm on my phone in desktop view, don't see anything.....

Old 03-23-2018, 10:20 AM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,159 Likes on 566 Posts
Pics come through fine here. I like Roy's cylindrical jack stand, very sturdy.

Old 03-23-2018, 10:31 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,885 Likes on 2,797 Posts
Originally Posted by ExxWhy
Yeah, I noticed that. Maybe it's rusted frozen and it's now a true jack stand?

Old 03-23-2018, 10:35 AM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
A blonde teenaged millennial wanting to earn some extra money for the summer, decided to hire herself out as a “handy-woman.”

She started canvassing a nearby well-to-do neighborhood. She went to the front door of the first house, and asked the owner if he had any odd jobs for her to do.

“Well, I guess I could use somebody to paint my porch,” he said, “How much will you charge me?”

Delighted, the girl quickly responded, “How about $50?”

The man agreed and told her that the paint brushes and everything she would need was in the garage.

The man's wife, hearing the conversation said to her husband, “Does she realize that our porch goes ALL the way around the house?”

He responded, “That's a bit cynical, isn't it?”

The wife replied, “You're right. I guess I'm starting to believe all those dumb blonde jokes we've been getting by email lately.”

Later that day, the teenager came to the door to collect her money.

“You're finished already?” the startled husband asked.

“Yes, she replied, and I even had paint left over, so I gave it two coats.”

Impressed, the man reached into his pocket for the $50.00 and handed it to her along with a $10.00 tip.

“And, by the way,” the teenager added, “it's not a Porsche, it's a Lexus.”

Old 03-23-2018, 10:39 AM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
Roy,

I looked at the invoice you posted in the 1-pager. First off, you might want to edit that since it has all your personal info.... Monty, just go for it. It's a "safety thing"!
I looked at the invoice and thought this was a great price / value. Doesn't seem that much for what you get, if you are keeping your trailer for several years to come. I could be way wrong here but this also seems like a project that I could attempt on my own if I wanted to (I don't currently own an RV though). I hope Roy keeps the pictures coming to help those of us who would attempt something like this but maybe need a video or a few pictures to help us past the tougher spots. Love reading about this project.

Roy, how much do you feel that you are saving by doing this yourself as compared to having this done? I know that past threads have posted that number or Rodney's number. The number that I am thinking about is significant. Outside of convenience, does having this done by a professional somehow make it a higher quality job? Maybe I am missing something.

I saw the air hose out. Rodney and Monty must be enjoying that picture. I use air tools too.

Bruce...

Old 03-23-2018, 10:40 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 538 Likes on 262 Posts
Good one! LOL.

Old 03-23-2018, 11:48 AM
Paw's 150 Lariat
Logistics Pro
Received 2,195 Likes on 683 Posts
Good one Doug.

Old 03-23-2018, 11:51 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 948 Likes on 341 Posts
Originally Posted by my_crib_too
I looked at the invoice and thought this was a great price / value. Doesn't seem that much for what you get, if you are keeping your trailer for several years to come. I could be way wrong here but this also seems like a project that I could attempt on my own if I wanted to (I don't currently own an RV though). I hope Roy keeps the pictures coming to help those of us who would attempt something like this but maybe need a video or a few pictures to help us past the tougher spots. Love reading about this project.

Roy, how much do you feel that you are saving by doing this yourself as compared to having this done? I know that past threads have posted that number or Rodney's number. The number that I am thinking about is significant. Outside of convenience, does having this done by a professional somehow make it a higher quality job? Maybe I am missing something.

I saw the air hose out. Rodney and Monty must be enjoying that picture. I use air tools too.

Bruce...
$1000. Installation by performance braking is an additional $1000. The way it works, is you pay for the parts up front, as in the invoice Roy posted. Then if the installer comes to your place to do the work, you pay them separately (the $1000) after the job is complete. I think a triple axle is $1200 labor.

Old 03-23-2018, 07:38 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by ExxWhy
Originally Posted by HRTKD
Yeah, I noticed that. Maybe it's rusted frozen and it's now a true jack stand?
The trailer is fully supported by the Hyd legs of the leveling system.
I only had two 6 ton jack stands..... they are in place for safety at the rear. Then I used two 12 Ton bottle jacks as jack stands.... Then two large logs as jack stands

I am planning to purchase four more 6 ton Jack stands.

Old 03-23-2018, 07:53 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

$1000. Installation by performance braking is an additional $1000. The way it works, is you pay for the parts up front, as in the invoice Roy posted. Then if the installer comes to your place to do the work, you pay them separately (the $1000) after the job is complete. I think a triple axle is $1200 labor.
Correct for the disk brakes only........

1) I think I will do as good or better job than the typical installer......
2) I want to do my own work.....Plus it saves me a bunch of money.
3) the $1000. is for installing the disk brakes only...... I do not know how much the axle swap labor would cost.... I'll find out next week.

Old 03-23-2018, 08:08 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,885 Likes on 2,797 Posts
Originally Posted by Sailor_Roy
The trailer is fully supported by the Hyd legs of the leveling system.
I only had two 6 ton jack stands..... they are in place for safety at the rear. Then I used two 12 Ton bottle jacks as jack stands.... Then two large logs as jack stands

I am planning to purchase four more 6 ton Jack stands.
If I were going to do brake/axle installs like you're considering I would find a tall floor or bottle jack that goes up high enough to not need cribbing beneath it to get to the frame. The main downside to that is anything that tall is going to be really heavy. On my trailer, the frame is way up there and none of my bottle or floor jacks come anywhere close. Heck, to get things done faster I would consider an air jack instead of a hydraulic jack. Time is money!

Quick Reply: Jolly Green Giant...2015 F-350 KR DRW