1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

First Powerstroke (96 F350 CCLB) *Large Pictures*

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 01:33 PM
Wt91
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This truck was the original owner's baby, only the guy I bought it from treated it like crap. If the console isn't some sort of 90's aftermarket manufacturer equipment, which upon closer inspection seems less likely, I'm sure the original owner either made it or had it made.

I did some serious internet digging, and it looks like the running boards and rear bumper were made by a company called J&J Enterprises. J&J supplied a lot of equipment for Centurion, hence my friend recognizing the truck and thinking it was a Centurion setup. J&J also made special lighted grab handles, which explains the little grommets under the grab handle mounts on my truck. They might've been for the wiring. Sadly, J&J has long since gone under and the chance of finding exactly what the truck had on it again is slim. Here is a link to a site selling what I think originally was on the truck: Hummer J&J Hummer, H2 & H3 Grab Handles

Might end up removing the metal anchors from the exterior metal and patching it, then drilling some newer grab handles like:

Amazon.com: Highland (1002800) 11" Stainless Steel Grab Handle - 2 Piece: Automotive Amazon.com: Highland (1002800) 11" Stainless Steel Grab Handle - 2 Piece: Automotive

I'm also trying to figure out the nicer set of wheels. The driver side's wheels seem to be aluminum and much better quality than the passenger side's steel wheels. I'd love to try and find a full set of the aluminum wheels to replace my mismatched, half-plastidipped current ones.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:40 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ProjectDually
That or it was just used because it somewhat matches the interior. That or they just replaced all the hardware at some point. Fade like that would indicate the console is much older than the truck, or has seen a lot of sunlight. Even the stitching on the handle looks new!
Look at the exposed vs unexposed parts, of the same panel of material. The console material is just more susceptible to fade than the factory headliner. Looks like it was very infrequently used.

Old 12-03-2014, 02:30 PM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unless your truck is lifted, those exterior grab bars are just asking for rust there.

Regardless of it's use or age, it's still an addition in great condition. I'm sure we all want in our trucks! I think I'll build one to hold my CB and maybe a scanner. Use some of that unused roof space

Old 12-03-2014, 05:51 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ProjectDually
Unless your truck is lifted, those exterior grab bars are just asking for rust there.
The _holes_ are what's asking for rust. Since the holes are already there, there's no added risk of rust by doing something with them. If anything, there's probably less risk of rust with handles there, rather than the exposed holes.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:50 PM
Wt91
New User
Originally Posted by madpogue
The _holes_ are what's asking for rust. Since the holes are already there, there's no added risk of rust by doing something with them. If anything, there's probably less risk of rust with handles there, rather than the exposed holes.
That was my thought, it already has the holes there so the rust risk is already present. I want to find a set of handles that will mount using the existing holes/anchors, but I'm not sure if I'll find them. The alternative is to remove the anchors that are in the sheetmetal and fill it with bondo, seal it up well, and then put a more readily available set of handles on it to cover up the bondo.

But that's in the future. First priority is getting the bed dent fixed, fixing up the roof from the visor damage, and getting a matching set of wheels

Old 12-03-2014, 09:14 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check here for the lighted handles J&J Enterprises Inc. | StreetPerformance.com

Old 12-03-2014, 10:46 PM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue

More or less what I meant. I think I might have forum dyslexia

Old 12-04-2014, 05:25 PM
Wt91
New User
Here's a new question for you guys. My truck's rear fuel tank won't take fuel, when I try to fuel it up the diesel foam instantly is up at the neck clicking the fuel nozzle off. After a few seconds it gurgles and the foam/fuel goes down into the tank. I'm assuming that a vent somewhere is clogged, but haven't had a moment to really look at it.

Old 12-04-2014, 05:53 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Wt91
Here's a new question for you guys. My truck's rear fuel tank won't take fuel, when I try to fuel it up the diesel foam instantly is up at the neck clicking the fuel nozzle off. After a few seconds it gurgles and the foam/fuel goes down into the tank. I'm assuming that a vent somewhere is clogged, but haven't had a moment to really look at it.
The vent probably isn't clogged. They just weren't big enough from the factory.

Old 12-04-2014, 05:55 PM
Wt91
New User
So is there a fix for this, or am I dropping the tank and fabricating some sort of new vent setup? I had heard of some rear tank mods just wasn't sure what I needed to be looking at for my specific problem.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:47 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts
Look in the stickies at the top of the page under mods, there are two there, I think. I've done both my tanks and its a good mod.

Old 12-05-2014, 04:33 AM
Wt91
New User
Thanks, I'll have to add the fuel tank vent mod to the list of stuff that needs doing. The front tank is entirely too small by itself.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:21 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Wt91
Thanks, I'll have to add the fuel tank vent mod to the list of stuff that needs doing. The front tank is entirely too small by itself.
haha, that's for sure! With my towing I have a 38 gallon rear tank and a 33 gallon aux bed tank so in total I can hold 90 gallons. I still at times get stuck filling up at a truck stop and the vent mods come in real handy there.

Old 12-05-2014, 12:07 PM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
That is a nice looking truck for sure. It just needs some TLC to get it all spruced up.
You should do a 4x4 conversion!

Old 12-05-2014, 12:29 PM
Wt91
New User
The thought has crossed my mind. I've never owned a 2wd truck, everything I've ever driven has been 4x4. Though I do like the idea of a less complicated driveline in my hauler, 4x4 is also always nice.

Quick Reply: First Powerstroke (96 F350 CCLB) *Large Pictures*