Sponsored by: Moser

'78 Crew 4x4 - Cummins Swap Begins - Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 01:15 AM
co425
Cargo Master
Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by tabascom16
If you are losing your prime I bet it is up on the IP after the fuel shutoff solenoid.
He is running a P pump cummins so I am unsure what your are referring to there. the fuel shut off solinoid is purely mechanical and has nothing to do with the fuel flow from the lift pump or fuel filter itself. The fuel shut down on a p7100 pump mechanically turns the racks and blocks fuel flow shutting down the engine.

The only fuel connection to the P pump is the fuel inlet and a fuel return. Both are banjo fittings. Using Teflon tape is a bad idea on those connections. Especially when a fuel leak in those places are easily fixed by new banjo washers.

Old 03-12-2015, 04:45 AM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry I bailed from the Swap Meet before getting that Grill Shell to you, I was wiped out after no sleep Saturday night.

This past week I've had a nightmare of a VERY steep learning curve concerning Diesels and Fuel Problems. Air Intrusion is a massive problem on my rig with the 6.9, one of the hardest areas to find was that the Hard-line had rubbed through against the frame and would seal enough to run fine until the road got bumpy causing the line to bounce away from the frame and suck air in. Issue's with Hard-lines aren't too common but it's something to look at. Another of the many problems I had was the Tank Transfer Switch/Valve was letting Air in the system, so I bypassed that non-functioning POS also, then I blew 3 Return lines that tie between the Injectors. After all that crap it ate the new lift pump, slapped an electric pump on it tonight and did a 60 mile round trip with Zero issues. After the move I'll be running all new Fuel Lines from tanks> manual Transfer Valve> Electric Pump> Injection Pump.

My point is... Do you have any way you can Pressure Test your lines?

Old 03-12-2015, 08:03 AM
79Supercab
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by somethingclever
definately sounds like a sweet setup on that controller...pretty trick deal.
Yeah, I'm hoping it all works out as I hope it does. That's my project this weekend is to get that hooked up so I can go on a freeway run.

If you are losing your prime I bet it is up on the IP after the fuel shutoff solenoid. There is enough wiggle room in the IP and fuel filter to keep the system primed with fuel even if the fuel pump in the tank send little pockets of air. Those little air pockets just get sent back through the return lines.

When I first got my truck running it would lose prime over the course of a couple hours but never leaked fuel anywhere. I finally took off all the fuel lines on the IP and put some Teflon tape on them and out them back on. Never lost prime after that. One of them had just a tiny imperceptible air leak.
I will definitely try that. The motor ran perfect when it was in the Dodge. And I did loosen a couple of the lines on the pump when I was priming it. Thanks.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:07 AM
79Supercab
Elder User
Originally Posted by co425
He is running a P pump cummins so I am unsure what your are referring to there. the fuel shut off solinoid is purely mechanical and has nothing to do with the fuel flow from the lift pump or fuel filter itself. The fuel shut down on a p7100 pump mechanically turns the racks and blocks fuel flow shutting down the engine.

The only fuel connection to the P pump is the fuel inlet and a fuel return. Both are banjo fittings. Using Teflon tape is a bad idea on those connections. Especially when a fuel leak in those places are easily fixed by new banjo washers.
I think he meant where the injector lines thread onto the pump. I loosened a couple of those when I was priming it. But now that I think about it, those are probably compression fittings, so thread tape wouldn't change anything, right? I should check to make sure everything is tight though. I think it's definitely after the lift pump.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:10 AM
79Supercab
Elder User
Originally Posted by oddfordjunkie
Sorry I bailed from the Swap Meet before getting that Grill Shell to you, I was wiped out after no sleep Saturday night.

This past week I've had a nightmare of a VERY steep learning curve concerning Diesels and Fuel Problems. Air Intrusion is a massive problem on my rig with the 6.9, one of the hardest areas to find was that the Hard-line had rubbed through against the frame and would seal enough to run fine until the road got bumpy causing the line to bounce away from the frame and suck air in. Issue's with Hard-lines aren't too common but it's something to look at. Another of the many problems I had was the Tank Transfer Switch/Valve was letting Air in the system, so I bypassed that non-functioning POS also, then I blew 3 Return lines that tie between the Injectors. After all that crap it ate the new lift pump, slapped an electric pump on it tonight and did a 60 mile round trip with Zero issues. After the move I'll be running all new Fuel Lines from tanks> manual Transfer Valve>
Electric Pump> Injection Pump.

My point is... Do you have any way you can Pressure Test your lines?
I think it's after the lift pump. Cause it starts after a few cranks, and stumbles a little bit with any throttle increase. After a couple of minutes it's ok.

I did remove the banjo bolts that are on the feed line into the filter from lift pump when I replaced the lift pump. Didn't put new washers on, so that could have an impact. I also loosened the banjo bolt on the overflow so I may need to check that again.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:57 AM
Tim Young
Hotshot
Received 3,612 Likes on 1,444 Posts
Sounds like you are making good progress. Your transmission controller sounds pretty neat.

Old 03-12-2015, 09:36 AM
79Supercab
Elder User
Originally Posted by Tim Young
Sounds like you are making good progress. Your transmission controller sounds pretty neat.
I'm getting there. I hope to get the hood latch & trans controller wiring done this weekend.

Old 03-12-2015, 05:21 PM
tabascom16
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes they are all banjo bolt fittings but mine have an extra port in the head of the banjo bolts. I think they are 1/8" NPT plugs.

Old 03-13-2015, 12:36 AM
co425
Cargo Master
Yes they are all banjo bolt fittings but mine have an extra port in the head of the banjo bolts. I think they are 1/8" NPT plugs.
That would make perfect sense then for the teflon tape. You had me lost on that one. Mine do not have the extra 1/8" ports. Would be a good place to plumb in a fuel pressure sender.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:27 PM
79Supercab
Elder User
Got the hood latch support made tonight, painted and installed.

Here's some "in process" pics without the grille

And here's the whole I burned in my flannel while using a cutting wheel to do some trimming

Was wondering what was so hot...looked down and there was a small flame coming up my shirt. Ooops.....

On to the trans controller wiring tomorrow.

Old 03-15-2015, 06:03 PM
79Supercab
Elder User
Grill inserts are installed. I must have put that first one in the shell 20 or more times. Second one went a little faster. Did the drivers side first

Then the passenger side.

Also did a little interior wiring for the trans. Got the manual switches hooked up for the overdrive and lockup. Sure makes a difference.

Old 03-15-2015, 09:06 PM
nutter3
More Turbo
Received 251 Likes on 159 Posts
Looking great. You did a nice job on that latch.

Old 03-15-2015, 09:46 PM
79Supercab
Elder User
Originally Posted by nutter3
Looking great. You did a nice job on that latch.
Thanks. Stole the design from co425

Old 03-15-2015, 09:53 PM
co425
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by 79Supercab
Thanks. Stole the design from co425

For some reason I'm picturing lord of the rings. "MY PRECIOUS".

Looking good man! Looks like she'll be a daily driver soon!

Old 03-15-2015, 10:12 PM
79Supercab
Elder User
For some reason I'm picturing lord of the rings. "MY PRECIOUS".
Looking good man! Looks like she'll be a daily driver soon!
Going to drive it tomorrow.

I took it on about a 20 min freeway drive. Running in OD with the TC locked up with no throttle it'd run about 600 EGT. I don't have a speedo yet, but was running a little faster than traffic so probably 65 or 70. If I got on it it'd go up to 1,000 pretty quick and even up to 1,100. What's too high for too long?

Quick Reply: '78 Crew 4x4 - Cummins Swap Begins - Build Thread