1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1955 Ford F100, F350, Big Job, Original Suspension Modifications & Setups

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 01:05 AM
Johnnynobody
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1955 Ford F100, F350, Big Job, Original Suspension Modifications & Setups

Hi All,
I finally have my 55 on the road. Its been highly modified, here is the run down:
  • It is a combo of a 55 F100 and Big Job.
  • Dually rear end from a later model ford f350, Switched axles out for my 17.5" 6 Bud Wheels.
  • Frame is from a Big Job.
  • Wheels are the hard to find 17.5" 6 lug Bud Wheels. New Tires.
  • Manual Drum Brakes Stock.
  • Manual Steering Stock.
  • Front Axle/Suspension Stock.
  • Rear Suspension is Combo Leaf Spring and Air Bags with self adjusting ride height. All my air bags and components are from Semi Truck Suspension Parts... Not cheap pseudo car bag nonsense. I have removed all but three leaf springs in the rear. The ride is great and weight carrying, trailer towing is equally good.
My goal for this truck is the following:
  • I want to use this truck for hauling, towing, and its weight capacity. So at least a full one ton.
  • I want to use and keep the original suspension, the straight axle, steering geometry, Wheels, Tires.
I have only seen the typical car suspension setups or stock setups. I have major problems with both for use as a full size and capacity truck for towing. Problems are obvious and there are no solutions other than a complete frame change over from another truck. Then there is the issue of width. The stock setup will beat you to death, horrible rough ride, brakes all drums, no power steering, etc, etc, etc... Then if you want a nice ride everyone goes to a M2, Volare, Jag, Aerostar, Pacer, Crown Vic, Chevy S10, all of these are light weight car options not designed or useful for full size truck hauling or towing.

So, how do I get the best of both worlds?
  • Keep 17.5" 6 Lug Bud Wheels and Tires.
  • Rear Suspension is done, works good!
  • Keep front straight axle, build four bar setup with air bags.
  • Convert to Power Steering using Toyota PS Box.
  • Convert to Power Brakes.
  • Cummins 5.9 Diesel with Fuller 6 Speed.
Two items I have to work out using the 17.5" 6 Bud Wheels, Brakes, Ride Height.
  • Figure out how to convert front brakes to front disc keeping the 6 lug bud wheels. I was thinking using Ford or Dodge four wheel drive front axle rotors to slide over existing hub, make backing plate that bolts to back to support disc calipers.
  • Figure out how low I can drop with existing tires, I can put new rubber all around but need to figure what tire profile sizes/widths are available?
I want to get the truck as low in the weeds as I can, I also want all the conveniences as well as a really nice ride, not rough. But need to use it as my shop truck. These last two items is what I need to figure out. If anyone has converted over the stock hubs with Disc Brakes using the Bud Wheels let me know.
In order to get more options in tire profiles and widths I may weld new outers on my original 6 bud wheels to 17" instead of 17.5" or move to an 8 lug 17" later ford wheels and convert them to the straight front axle hub, this may be the way to go for the disc brakes up front.

Im sure I could sell the 17.5's with new rubber!

Last edited by Johnnynobody; 11-11-2014 at 01:12 AM. Reason: .
Old 11-17-2014, 10:32 AM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
So, "newer" F350 rear end, as in 1966 or older? I can't see where just switching axles would change the bolt pattern.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:25 PM
Johnnynobody
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey WillowBilly3,

(So, "newer" F350 rear end, as in 1966 or older?)

If I remember right I though the axles were interchangeable to 1976 or later? Although so many different Diff Combo's not sure anymore? If someone might have that info it would be good to know from switching from stock single wheel rear axles to a later model Ford Dually Rear Axle.

(I can't see where just switching axles would change the bolt pattern)

Axle to Hub pattern with 6 Lug Budd Wheel Pattern, The 6 lug Budd Wheels were used on the Large Ford Trucks to 66, Ford then switched to 8 lug from 67 on. To clarify although Ford stopped using these wheels in 66, the rear hubs were changeable on Ford rear axles to late seventies, early eighties? (This is the info I need to verify and check)

I will research this info further and provide details, verify correctness as I did this so long ago, lots of trial and error swapping, switching parts etc....