1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Auto Trailer towing question

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 05:58 AM
msova
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wanting to to a full uhaul vehicle trailer this weekend from about 450-500 miles. All indications from uhaul, and a person at the dealership are that my Ranger can handle it (4.0 Auto, 4x4, supercab, classIII factory hitch), but for that distance? Towing a 74 Fta Spider (about 2200-2350lbs)

I'd go with a tow dolly, but the vehicle won't have tags or registration so I think I should try the trailer (I'm going on saturday and I think most DMV's are closed).

Anyone near Columbu, OH (Hilliard/Arlington area) and know if DMV/BMV's are open? If so, is there a "one trip" permit I can buy?

Lastly, my hitch says on it "weight distributing 6000lbs/ non weight distributing or weight pulling 3500lbs. I'm not sure what this means, is the front hook up on the trailer possibly a weight distributing hitch? Or is this something I would have to buy (instead of the basic 2" hitch ball insert?)?

PS- u can read about my previous long distance towing experience in a reply to an above thread!

thanks in advance

Old 07-17-2003, 03:20 PM
DainBramage
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, this prob. should have gone in the towing forum, but, whatever..

#1- The way you verify the ability to tow within your rating is::

GVWR - VehicleWeight - You + Gear + Fuel & Fluids = Towing Capacity.
I'd check the manual to be sure, but I think you're going to be a little over, depending on how much the trailer itself weighs (they aren't light).
Remember, it's not about how much weight you can get going down the road, it's how much you can keep under control, and stop. In these trucks, the brakes are usually the weakest link.

Now, I tow a #3000lb bass boat with my 2.3/5spd/2wd/xcab, which is over the limit for my truck, but if you drive intelligently, and carefully, you should make out just fine.

And as far as the weight distribution hitches, yes, these are a different setup, that mounts in your reciever instead of a straight hitch, and has bars that link by chain to each side of your trailer tongue, drawing it, and the back of your truck, closer to level by doing what they say, distributing weight.. I'd recommend looking into them, if you plan on towing this kind of weight often, as it can make the difference between a very scary, stressful tow, and smooth sailing.

Feel free to snoop around the Towing forum for more info and answers.