1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

CPP Under Floor Booster/Master - Built In Residual Valves?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 10:49 AM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CPP Under Floor Booster/Master - Built In Residual Valves?

I'm trying to plan out my brake system and have a quick question regarding Residual Valves.

I have a '56 F100 with front disc brake conversion and drums in the rear. I have the CPP under floor booster/master kit.

I have emailed CPP to ask if this master cylinder has residual valves in it and will update if they respond.

These look sort of like what I'm seeing on the internet regarding residual valves in the master cylinder, but I can easily slide a paper clip all the way in, which leads me to believe they are not residual valves (if everything you read on the internet is true!). Any other ideas on how to "test." Or does anyone remember what they did for their truck using the same setup? Luckily, adding in line valves is easy enough..I just want to be sure!

Thanks!

Also, a lot of the tech articles from CPP and around the net show a different bracket than mine. I guess they changed the design? I got mine this year directly from CPP. Mine only uses the 2 original bolt location and doesn't have any "supports" or additional holes that need to be drilled. I guess maybe they beefed up the bracket...still seems like a lot of weight on those bolts!

Old 10-27-2014, 01:24 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Many companies are computer phobic, I wouldn't wait for an email answer, give them a call (and hopefully get to talk to a real person).

Old 10-27-2014, 01:48 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Good advice from AXracer as usual....

Tech guy said that they are not built into the master cylinder...so looks like external is the way to go.

I ordered the Wilwood ones off amazon: $21.65 with free shipping.

Amazon.com: Wilwood 260-3278 2 lb Residual with Fitting: Automotive Amazon.com: Wilwood 260-3278 2 lb Residual with Fitting: Automotive

Amazon.com: Wilwood 260-3279 10 lb Residual with Fitting: Automotive Amazon.com: Wilwood 260-3279 10 lb Residual with Fitting: Automotive

and I went ahead and ordered the "kit" from CPP for the brake switch (even though last time I just rigged it with parts from Oreilly Auto Parts and it worked fine). But it's only $21 shipped as well. These days, money is more abundant than time.

Hydraulic Brake Light Switch

Now I just need to figure out if I want to go remote reservoir and, if so, what remote reservoir cap I want to use....

Old 10-27-2014, 07:18 PM
clintonvillian
Laughing Gas
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I ordred a CPP setup. Didn't you specify whether you had disc/disc, drum/drum, or drum/disc?

Maybe I am wrong but I think that the residual and regulating valves is why they ask you which setup you have.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:43 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by clintonvillian
I ordred a CPP setup. Didn't you specify whether you had disc/disc, drum/drum, or drum/disc? Maybe I am wrong but I think that the residual and regulating valves is why they ask you which setup you have.
I am no expert either...but I think the disc drum designation gets you the right prop valve?

It is sad that we can't trust the guy on the tech line...I don't think the residual valves are ever in the prop valve? I Think he's correct that they aren't in the master cylinder, as there don't seem to be any valves behind the fitting in the picture.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:48 PM
clintonvillian
Laughing Gas
If that is your picture...........

The valves are in the bottom brass piece.

well not brass....... but yellow zinc coated plate.

http://www.classicperform.com/Store/...ck/4852BBD.htm

Says there that they are included, and not needed if drum/drum.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:22 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by clintonvillian
If that is your picture........... The valves are in the bottom brass piece. well not brass....... but yellow zinc coated plate. http://www.classicperform.com/Store/...ck/4852BBD.htm Says there that they are included, and not needed if drum/drum.
Thanks for checking that out. Yeah, that's my picture, but I don't think the residual valves are behind the brass inserts like I've seen in other pictures and posts.

I don't see any mention of residual valves in that cpp link you provided? Just the proportioning valve which I am going to need (I'm doing a disc/drum).

Thanks again for helping me try to figure it out!

Old 10-27-2014, 08:27 PM
Rimrock F1
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I spoke to CPP about the master and combo valve I have for my 52, same as yours different bracket. They told me the residual valves were built in and I would not need to add any.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:32 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Rimrock F1
I spoke to CPP about the master and combo valve I have for my 52, same as yours different bracket. They told me the residual valves were built in and I would not need to add any.
Well dang...

Maybe I should call back in for a 3rd opinion! Ha

I guess the only sure way is to take a look...

The tech guy I spoke with said "No they aren't built in. The only reason you'd need them is if your master cylinder is below your wheels cylinders or calipers. We sell the residual valves too if you need them."

Thanks for the input!

Old 10-28-2014, 01:49 AM
Normalbloke
Senior User
Mine is valved for disc/disc. It wasn't fitted with residual valves as informed by CPP. I have just fitted Wilwood valves to mine.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:25 AM
clintonvillian
Laughing Gas
Are residual valves needed for a disc/disc operation? If so I need to look into it for mine.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:10 AM
Normalbloke
Senior User
The do I or do I not need residual valve question has nothing to do with whether you are using discs or drums. They are only required IF your master cylinder is below the level of your calipers/drum cylinders to prevent fluid draining back to the master cylinder under gravity. However, depending on if you are using discs OR drums, will determine which residual valves you will need IF they are required. ie 2lb for discs and 10lb for drums. I suspect some people MAY be confusing the role of the proportioning valve and the residual valve.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:05 AM
Rimrock F1
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Schuyles
Well dang...

Maybe I should call back in for a 3rd opinion! Ha

I guess the only sure way is to take a look...

The tech guy I spoke with said "No they aren't built in. The only reason you'd need them is if your master cylinder is below your wheels cylinders or calipers. We sell the residual valves too if you need them."

Thanks for the input!
Actually they told me that all combination valves wold work like residual valves. Said unless my master was well below the calipers I would not need to add residual valves. Then I told him I was using a remote reservoir which solves the problem regardless of the height.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:14 AM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Rimrock F1
Then I told him I was using a remote reservoir which solves the problem regardless of the height.
Now there's an interesting concept...I didn't even think about that and I am thinking of putting on the remote reservoir...

Old 10-28-2014, 10:17 AM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Normalbloke
The do I or do I not need residual valve question has nothing to do with whether you are using discs or drums. They are only required IF your master cylinder is below the level of your calipers/drum cylinders to prevent fluid draining back to the master cylinder under gravity. However, depending on if you are using discs OR drums, will determine which residual valves you will need IF they are required. ie 2lb for discs and 10lb for drums. I suspect some people MAY be confusing the role of the proportioning valve and the residual valve.
Straight forward and concise...nice. Now Rimrock says the proportioning valve may act like a residual valve! Maybe we should all just go back to mechanical brakes...

Quick Reply: CPP Under Floor Booster/Master - Built In Residual Valves?