Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
"We'll be cruising at an eye level of 7.3 feet, and a speed of warp 7.3"

Old 10-25-2014, 09:48 AM
Silverlake
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
The boost drum is beat pretty hard here. With a playful tone to the brotherhood - it's on the OBDII port. Really. I see it every day I drive. I promise. The MAP sensor even reads in tenths of a PSI on the OBDII port - an anaolog gauge is far more vague. If you plan on a scan gauge of any type, there is only one solid reason for spending even more money on a boost gauge - and I have that reason: If the boost exceeds the limitations of the MAP sensor. At that point, put a proper regulator (boost fooler) on the MAP line to protect the sensor and by all means, install a dedicated boost gauge.

With a respectful tone to my friends here, I never disputed the importance of boost - moving on: I debated on a single dual-pyro, and I really like how the balanced/unbalanced needles give an instant visual cue - plus reducing the real estate on the dash/pillar/overhead. I have one thing that over-rides all of those bennies - I like 270 degree sweeps on my gauges. There's better resolution and more obvious visual cues. If one pyro dips 25-50 degrees (injector imbalance), I'm gunna see it.
Great thread and I hope I'm not hijacking here - If a guy wanted dual EGT and boost gauges how would he go about getting the boost signal from the OBDII port to the gauge?

Old 10-25-2014, 12:35 PM
jasonc76
Senior User
You either splice the map line and run a hose to the boost Guage. Or you install an electronic sender in the intake and run the wiring to the Guage. Depends what type of Guage you buy. If you wanted to use the obd2 port you could use an android device and the torque pro app.

Old 10-25-2014, 03:58 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by sfjsfh
Have an 02 f350 7.3 and recently installed tuner. I was looking for suggestions on a complete pillar gauge and what gauges are best to have.a. Want it complete no painting or anything just worked with the TS performance tuner I may do damage, already smoked the tranny.
Hit up Clay at RiffRaff, it's where I got mine. He's a great guy to work with.

Old 10-25-2014, 08:38 PM
petrokiller
Fleet Mechanic
Received 240 Likes on 163 Posts
OP have you read your thread?? Lots of great info. Google the gauge brands mentioned here. Click where to buy and go shopping.

I think Riffraff stuff may come with a can of paint or just get something close. As mentioned quality is best. So take an hour and paint the better pillar pod.

I have only got ScanGuage experience. Google Advance Auto 30% off coupon code. My SG2 cost me $145 I think.

I plan to do EGT and fuel pressure later. Mine gauge pod will be below the dash cubby like Tugly. My ScanGuage is in the cubby now

Old 10-26-2014, 09:16 PM
sgarder
Senior User
Well, uh, um,,,,, Rich, I did,,, on the injector torque. New injectors noisy. Black smoke. Ran good, lots of soot. I messed up on intercooler boot. still some black smoke. Finally broke down and retorque. Still noisy. Finally got fuel pressure gauge. 100 Psi??!!! Oh crap! Pulled the Frx. Damn I screwed up when installing, spring got caught. Put it back together and 62 Psi. No smoke and runs quieter. Gauges helps my peace of mind on trips. Should have got the fuel pressure gauge sooner.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:03 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Thanks for reporting that!

Most of us haven't had high fuel pressure, so now we all know what to watch for. I'll remember this one - good job.

Old 10-27-2014, 05:08 PM
Gaugepro
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Think I mentioned how fuel pressure will leave you stranded long before a second egt gauge comes in handy...

Old 10-27-2014, 09:38 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
I have (and preach) FP and dual EGTs. Tap the OBDII port for the rest.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:40 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 798 Likes on 586 Posts
For a 2" dual EGT gauge the only one I've seen is the Falcon. Fits in a standard cluster and the needles are together rather than comparing two separate EGT gauges.

My ideal setup would be Dual EGT, Trans Temp, Fuel Pressure and Boost. All real sweep needle gauges, nothing digital or OBD dependant. That's everything you need to know from a simple glance.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:49 AM
Silverlake
Senior User
I'm sold on dual EGT (single gauge) and boost. I'm not getting the fuel pressure gauge requirement but will do some more reading. Do I need transmission temp for a 6 speed manual?
I plan on towing when I retire in a few years (I hope).

Old 10-28-2014, 08:38 AM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Silverlake
I'm sold on dual EGT (single gauge) and boost. I'm not getting the fuel pressure gauge requirement but will do some more reading. Do I need transmission temp for a 6 speed manual? I plan on towing when I retire in a few years (I hope).
I'd be more inclined to get a temp gauge for the rear end if you plan on towing later, manuals don't really need a trans temp gauge as much as an automatic IIRC.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:10 PM
Gaugepro
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Silverlake
I'm sold on dual EGT (single gauge) and boost. I'm not getting the fuel pressure gauge requirement but will do some more reading. Do I need transmission temp for a 6 speed manual?
I plan on towing when I retire in a few years (I hope).
I wont beat a dead horse... BUT...

I've driven well over 1.8 million miles and can count on one hand how many times having dual EGT gauges has come in handy... Its not needed.

But if your set on it because the all knowing Tuggles says so then shoot.

Fuel pressure is important because if you have a fuel pressure issue, it will NOT set a code, it will NOT set an SES light, you will have no idea what is wrong until you check fuel pressure. This is talking about a dead, low pressure or plugged pick up... You still have the issue of problematic low fuel pressure, which over time will damage injectors to the point they can not even be used as cores.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:11 PM
Gaugepro
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Krazee Matt
I'd be more inclined to get a temp gauge for the rear end if you plan on towing later, manuals don't really need a trans temp gauge as much as an automatic IIRC.
Rear Axle temp is nice, not one of the top 4 gauges I would recommend to anyone but...

Old 10-28-2014, 08:26 PM
Silverlake
Senior User
Originally Posted by Gaugepro
I wont beat a dead horse... BUT...

I've driven well over 1.8 million miles and can count on one hand how many times having dual EGT gauges has come in handy... Its not needed.

But if your set on it because the all knowing Tuggles says so then shoot.

Fuel pressure is important because if you have a fuel pressure issue, it will NOT set a code, it will NOT set an SES light, you will have no idea what is wrong until you check fuel pressure. This is talking about a dead, low pressure or plugged pick up... You still have the issue of problematic low fuel pressure, which over time will damage injectors to the point they can not even be used as cores.
The dual EGT is not that much more expensive than a single in my opinion, and may provide some useful info. Besides, it'll keep me from wondering what the other four are doing (and I would).

Good to know the manual tranny temps are not a worry - one of the reasons I wanted it but figured I'd ask the experts. The only drawback is my left thigh is becoming larger than my right.

As for the fuel pressure gauge, thanks for the clear explanation - it's been added to the list.

Quick Reply: looking for suggestions on a pillar gauge and what three gauges to get