6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

OEM King Shock Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 11:08 AM
pacnorwest
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rancho Suspension
Umm no. You aren't filling out a "Rancho" branded credit card application. You get a "credit card" aka a Visa gift card with the value of one of the shocks on it. Say you bought 4 9000's at $95 a piece. A gift card for $95. Use it where you want...
So to be clear, the Visa "Gift Card" can simply be thrown away after it's one time use?
No junk mail, subscriptions or any of that trash will follow use of the card?

The Rancho 9000's are a great product and I had them on my old truck for 100,000+ miles.
My new truck will need upgraded shocks but I'm seriously put off by a discount gimmick like the Visa gift card.
I have to check out the Bilstein's now.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:16 AM
Rancho Suspension
Former Vendor
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Correct! We don't add your name to a "list" or the like for spam or anything else.
Again, many, many companies use a gift card type for their rebate program, just an easy way to run the program.
And congrats on the 100K out of your shocks.

Originally Posted by pacnorwest
So to be clear, the Visa "Gift Card" can simply be thrown away after it's one time use?
No junk mail, subscriptions or any of that trash will follow use of the card?

The Rancho 9000's are a great product and I had them on my old truck for 100,000+ miles.
My new truck will need upgraded shocks but I'm seriously put off by a discount gimmick like the Visa gift card.
I have to check out the Bilstein's now.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:54 AM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Thanks for the clarification and also for the luck on the house sell and hunt!

I can buy the shocks, just can't fill out another loan/credit card app at this time.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:56 AM
Rancho Suspension
Former Vendor
Smile

Buying a house is awesome/scary/royal PITA. " I just need more thing Mr. Dakster...." GAH!!

Originally Posted by Dakster
Thanks for the clarification and also for the luck on the house sell and hunt!

I can buy the shocks, just can't fill out another loan/credit card app at this time.

Old 09-26-2014, 01:19 PM
Sgt93
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had the King 2.5's with my Carli Suspension and loved them. I believe Darren32 blew a shock in the winter, but that was before they gave an option for a steel shaft winter version. $100 more per shock last I knew. The one thing that scared me was that if a shock went down, it wasn't like I could have it repaired wuickly, and I know that King takes a bit to get parts out. I never had an issue, but you know Murphys Law....

Old 09-26-2014, 03:29 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 800 Likes on 151 Posts
3 of them actually....

They said it was "those canadian roads" .... too many dog sleds I guess...

The rear shafts were pitted and had to be replaced.

The re build did take a month or more.

I would recommend putting boots on them if you plan on leaving the city.

When mine were re built I put boots on them and they have been great since (they were great before). Over 3 years now, I love them!

Kids love them too

http://vid1090.photobucket.com/album...psebb6704d.mp4

I see Carli now has a package with the 3" kings .......

Ford Super Duty Dominator 4.5" Suspension Lift for Ford F250 / F350 Super Duty 4x4s

Old 09-26-2014, 03:44 PM
Rancho Suspension
Former Vendor
Talking

Boots!?!?!?!?! They are the devil!1!!!!

(There's no pot stirring one)

Originally Posted by darren32
3 of them actually....

They said it was "those canadian roads" .... too many dog sleds I guess...

The rear shafts were pitted and had to be replaced.

The re build did take a month or more.

I would recommend putting boots on them if you plan on leaving the city.

When mine were re built I put boots on them and they have been great since (they were great before). Over 3 years now, I love them!

Kids love them too

http://vid1090.photobucket.com/album...psebb6704d.mp4

I see Carli now has a package with the 3" kings .......

Ford Super Duty Dominator 4.5" Suspension Lift for Ford F250 / F350 Super Duty 4x4s

Old 09-26-2014, 04:21 PM
jmcquarry
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Darren,

I feel stupid asking, but why no boots in the first place. I always wondered about that, seems too easy to get crude in there over time causing a failure.

Old 09-26-2014, 04:33 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by jmcquarry
Thanks Darren,

I feel stupid asking, but why no boots in the first place. I always wondered about that, seems too easy to get crude in there over time causing a failure.
That's the funny part. I specifically asked both Carli and NADP (where I bought the kit from and they installed it) about boots when I first got them. They both said they were NOT required. I kept both e-mails... When the shocks went bad, I resurrected the e-mails and Carli paid for the parts and NADP paid for the labor and oil for the re build. I paid for the 2 new shafts and the boots

I never even though about the rock pitting but ya, why would you want all that road crud on the shafts. I should have just told them to put boots on them from the start and they probably would still be fine.

Thanks

Old 09-26-2014, 06:21 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
live and learn and I supposed Carli and NADP learned something too...

I was going to say that those Canadian roads gotta be harsh on suspension parts. I know the darn Alaskan ones are.

In fact I gotta finish tweaking the jack rabbit full metal cover, I twist and turn so much it keeps popping open to the first 12" stopping point.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:41 AM
darren32
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by jmcquarry
Thanks Darren,

Sorry jm, I should have elaborated a bit on this. I think the 2.5" kings would be great on the stock suspension. They are definitely a bit "stiffer". You will feel everything like the little road cracks etc. But when you hit the bigger stuff, pot holes etc, they should really soak it up and keep you in line. I personally like the stiffer ride cuz it feels like a truck . But each to their own.

The carli lift part of the system I have (progressive springs and leaf packs) is nothing without the shocks. I had put on some cheap shocks when the kings were getting re built and it was terrible. Worse than stock. I though the back end was going to hop over the front a few times. It was almost un drive-able.

Just be aware that you will give up a bit of the Cadillac ride for the ability to handle the larger obstacles.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Old 09-29-2014, 12:22 PM
Adobe 11SD
Senior User
Originally Posted by darren32
Sorry jm, I should have elaborated a bit on this. I think the 2.5" kings would be great on the stock suspension. They are definitely a bit "stiffer". You will feel everything like the little road cracks etc. But when you hit the bigger stuff, pot holes etc, they should really soak it up and keep you in line. I personally like the stiffer ride cuz it feels like a truck . But each to their own.

The carli lift part of the system I have (progressive springs and leaf packs) is nothing without the shocks. I had put on some cheap shocks when the kings were getting re built and it was terrible. Worse than stock. I though the back end was going to hop over the front a few times. It was almost un drive-able.

Just be aware that you will give up a bit of the Cadillac ride for the ability to handle the larger obstacles.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Darren,
Great video of the youngsters enjoying the speed bump roller coaster.

Your explanation of King shocks is exactly how I would explain the Bilstein 5100's on a stock truck. When I had the 5100's installed at 22,000 miles (now almost 87,000) the compromise was losing some of the Cadillac ride and gaining controllability and confidence in the trucks handling.

Old 09-29-2014, 06:12 PM
jmcquarry
Senior User
Thanks Darren,Adobe

It may take a-little bit, but I believe I will go with the adjustable Kings. Maybe order them in November knowing it will take 3-4 weeks for delivery (Christmas present ). I will be interested in seeing if the adjustable option will negate the harshness, especially when the wife is riding........I will keep ya posted.........

Old 10-04-2014, 09:19 AM
pacnorwest
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rancho Suspension
What about the adjustable 9000's?
These shocks don't fit the 2015 SuperDuty.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:38 AM
jmcquarry
Senior User
Hmm,

I did not think there were any structural differences on the 2015

Quick Reply: OEM King Shock Upgrade?