Engine upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 08:53 PM
Magic
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Engine upgrade

I just had the unfortune of throwing a rod out the side of my V-6 stang. So Im looking to built another motor. This time upgrading to a modified V-8 But I am undecided,should I build a 302 or a 351 W. If both engines were built with the same modifications cam,intake,heads,headers,etc. Would the 351 W be that much more noticable in power and performance. I was also told,that I could get more performance with less headaches out of building carburetor engine,then a factory injected one. Like a 5.0 . I guess Im just tired of being a underdog around other 5.0 stangs.
Just want a healthy weekend warrior. Any input would be helpful. THANKS !!!!!

Old 07-16-2003, 04:24 AM
Crossfire
Junior User
Engine upgrade

Built with identical mods, the 351W will out-power the 5.0L because of the difference in torque due to the longer stroke. The disadvantage would be more weight on the front wheels, but this can be offset by using aluminum heads, intake and water pump.

Old 07-16-2003, 07:43 AM
TorqueKing
Posting Guru
Engine upgrade

yeah, with a big-Windsor Mustang, you will never be just another 5.0 guy. You will surely shock some people at the friday night grudge matches at the strip, easily handling the 5.0 kids. With identical cam and cylinder heads (they do interchange), you will get about another 70 ft*lbs and 50 HP from the added displacement. The wieght difference is very small, as Crossfire pointed out earlier. The only problem you'll have is with the additional deck height of the 351W, which sits and additional 1.5" taller at the intake deck, even before you put your super-cool Edelbrock RPM air-gap intake on it. You'll probably need a 4" cowl induction hood for clearance, but if you just drive it around with no hood, that would be very cool as well. The difference between your Mustang and all those other teenage bling-bling ghetto fabulous kids with the cowl hoods on their Mustangs, is that your hood is actually stuffed full of Dearborne-bred American Muscle, and they just got their cowl hoods because they thought they looked cool! Have fun, and let us know how the swap goes. TK