Sponsored by:

Modded Suspensions Call - Request your measurents

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 04:26 PM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by ChadTaylor
I've been searching for leveling kits but they're all showing for the trucks and not specifically for the Excursion.

I'd appreciate opinions on if either of these (or others you're willing to suggest) to get me the 2" in the front. Thanks!

2 Leveling System - 2005-15 Ford F250/F350 4WD

2in Leveling Coil Spacers Lift Kit for 05-15 Ford 4wd F-250 / F-350 Super Duty [514] | Rough Country Suspension Systems®

GVOD and air springs ! I'm digging your Ex more and more each day....

Not sure how high you want the front, but here is something simple I purchased. It should gain you a good inch, and it's a simple install. A lot of people claim the slight bit of caster it'll add is a benefit. Personally, I like a very slight rake (lightly higher in the rear), but I suppose with the air springs you can adjust that.

Robot Check Robot Check

Old 03-12-2015, 04:56 PM
ChadTaylor
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IMASAP
GVOD and air springs ! I'm digging your Ex more and more each day....

Not sure how high you want the front, but here is something simple I purchased. It should gain you a good inch, and it's a simple install. A lot of people claim the slight bit of caster it'll add is a benefit. Personally, I like a very slight rake (lightly higher in the rear), but I suppose with the air springs you can adjust that.

Robot Check
Hey IMASAP,

Thanks!

I actually took the Ex to the shop this afternoon. A good friend of mine is the owner/operator. He's going to do some research for options and get me in sometime next week. I'm emailing him this info now. Can't wait see what he comes up with!

Old 03-12-2015, 08:40 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Krazee Matt

If you even ask about front blocks I will slap you through the computer screen.

Replied to your PM with what my preferred route would be regarding the springs and leveling.
Krazee, I hope you didn't recommend the usual 2x4 blocks

Old 03-19-2015, 04:57 PM
ChadTaylor
Senior User
I currently have the stock wheels with LT265/75R16 tires.

I just measured mid hub to lip of fender and got 23" in front and 26" in rear. I'm not sure what was added to the rear end or how to find out. I'd like to level the truck and be able to upgrade the wheels to 18" but I have no clue what I need to do...going to do some reading in the tech folder.

Update: I deflated the rear air bags and got 23" in front and 24" in rear.

On a side note, my ATS X/C's were delivered this afternoon. They should be installed on Monday!

Old 03-19-2015, 05:02 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Make sure you have at least 15lbs in there while driving it...

Old 03-19-2015, 06:29 PM
Az_Ray
Senior User
Sorry it took me so long, mine measures 29 1/2" front and 30 1/2" rear. That's a 7" ICON lift which is all leaf no blocks.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:38 PM
alex--taylor
Senior User
Chad, when I put X Codes up front, I gained almost 3 inches. Same with the B Codes in the back. I did basically the same Mod's you're doing, but I have a new Helwig instead of airbags.

My measurements after Mods are as follows...

Front: 40.5" from the ground and 24.5” front hub center to cladding
Rear: 42" from the ground and 26” from rear hub center to cladding

AT

Old 03-19-2015, 06:58 PM
ChadTaylor
Senior User
Originally Posted by LivingLarge
Make sure you have at least 15lbs in there while driving it...

Yea? Care to elaborate? I'm a noob, don't forget.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:19 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 833 Likes on 572 Posts
Yea? Care to elaborate? I'm a noob, don't forget.
Air bag makers advise to keep 10 to 15 PSI in the bags when "aired down" when the extra load handling is not needed to protect the bags and keep them in the proper shape and place.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:49 PM
ChadTaylor
Senior User
Originally Posted by alex--taylor
Chad, when I put X Codes up front, I gained almost 3 inches. Same with the B Codes in the back. I did basically the same Mod's you're doing, but I have a new Helwig instead of airbags.

My measurements after Mods are as follows...

Front: 40.5" from the ground and 24.5” front hub center to cladding
Rear: 42" from the ground and 26” from rear hub center to cladding

AT
Cool! I'll hopefully be able to compare Monday afternoon!

Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Air bag makers advise to keep 10 to 15 PSI in the bags when "aired down" when the extra load handling is not needed to protect the bags and keep them in the proper shape and place.
I see. Thanks Tom!

Old 03-19-2015, 10:56 PM
A Rodder
Posting Guru
FIRESTONE says 5 psi minimum. I'm unsure of other manufacturers.

The reason is twofold. If the air bag is completely deflated and you bottom out the suspension inadvertently two things could happen.

1) since the bag has no air pressure it can bottom out the bag to itself causing damage to itself

2) on many applications the bag is mounted between the tire and frame.
As the bag compresses it gets to be a larger diameter and potentially could rub on the tire (rare cases) but more commonly against the frame or hardware protruding outboard of the frame.

In 18 years of installing these, I have warranted two bags total.

We all know that under normal unloaded conditions bottoming out the suspension on a true 3/4-1 ton is very difficult and probably will never happen. I tell my customers that use the double convoluted below type bags to not worry about keeping minimum air pressure unless there is a chance they may add a large load in the bed and possibly forget to add air at that time. With a large load, and no air, hitting a big bump, railroad tracks etc, bottoming the bag is very likely.

FWIW in 05 the super duties changed how the brake/electrical lines where attached. The bag hit against a bolt protruding thru the outside of the frame which clamped the lines inside the frame rail. I missed noticing it on install. It rubbed thru instantly with camper loaded. Shortly there after the installation sheets noted to cut off the excess threads past the face of the nut.

The coil type or sport rite light duty bags are different, they need the minimum at all times.

My experience on airbags.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:31 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 833 Likes on 572 Posts
Thanks Rodder, good info there! Much better than the little bit I had to offer.
Have you ever installed a set of bags with an attached air tank for each bag to allow for better/smoother ride while still retaining the extra load capacity? The idea being that as the bags compress on bumps the pressure spikes and the ride can get harsh, the tanks gave more room for absorbing these bounce "spikes". I saw a write up and pictorial on this setup years ago in a magazine, thought it was pretty nifty.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:48 PM
A Rodder
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Thanks Rodder, good info there! Much better than the little bit I had to offer.
Have you ever installed a set of bags with an attached air tank for each bag to allow for better/smoother ride while still retaining the extra load capacity? The idea being that as the bags compress on bumps the pressure spikes and the ride can get harsh, the tanks gave more room for absorbing these bounce "spikes". I saw a write up and pictorial on this setup years ago in a magazine, thought it was pretty nifty.
I have not, but I like the idea. The problem is with such a low volume of air, there isn't much compression available and you're right, it's harsh.
I do many with compressors / gauges etc though. With the gauges you can see the needles spike over every bump.

My wife wants to airbag our '56 Chevy wagon. I think it looks cool and all but the two cars I've driven "on bags" sucked for ride comfort because of the small volume they hold.

Old 03-22-2015, 07:53 PM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
26" in the front

26.75 in the rear

ATS X code front springs and C/XL rear springs with nothing else done lift wise. I believe their C/XL is just a C pack with the top overload removed and a leaf added to the pack. It rides amazing!

Old 03-22-2015, 08:45 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 931 Likes on 679 Posts
25.5'' front; 27'' rear

Stock wheels, 315/75 size BFG K02 tires. Slight rub at full turn on the rear portion of the front leaf springs.

Front; $40 CL pair of used V's (80K miles), 2'' of level leaf packs.
Rear: $20 CL pair of used C's (off F350 w/60K miles); mod'd with 3 leaves from the original X rears plus the slapper leaf; original Ex blocks.

Good not to take oneself too seriously .

Attached Images    

Last edited by Stewart_H; 09-01-2016 at 12:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Modded Suspensions Call - Request your measurents