1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 F250 Fan Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 10:39 AM
nagetech
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2011 F250 Fan Clutch?

Hey everyone! How are we on this fine day?

Picked up a new to me 2011 F250 Lariat. Got her at a great price and loving her so far. She had a few odds and ends to take care of, but I was ok with that. So far I fixed the reverse sensors (2 were out) creaking in the back (leaf spring bushings needed a little Lithium Grease) Squeak in the back (tailgate step needed a little greasing). Now on to my next problem!

This is my first 6.2l (first f250 in general). Truck starts up great and idles quite. Taking off driving, it sounds loud as hell under the hood. To me it sounds like the Fan is making a loud sound as the motor is accelerating. It is more noticeable when you really floor it. Prior to this I owned a 2010 F150 and I know stomping on it the motor really revs up, but this other sound to me isn't right/normal. Googling around, the closest I found to it was:

Granted it's for an expedition, but the sound is damn near identical. Looking on youtube at 1 or 2 videos of a f250 doing a 0-60 all I heard was the sound of the motor revving, so that has me convinced the sound I'm hearing is not normal. I'm 99% convinced it has to be the fan clutch, but thought I'd chime in and see what the experts here have to say

Looking forward to feedback before I buy a new clutch and tear into her.

Thanks!

Old 09-18-2014, 12:25 PM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The clutch fans "normal" mode of operation is to thermostatically increase fan to clutch engagement as the vehicle needs more cooling. Conversely less when cool (freewheeling). Its designed to save fuel...less drag (more HP) on the accessory drive when the fan is not needed.
You make no mention of mileage.
The clutch could be failing. Or you have an overheating issue(T-Stat failing, clogged radiator inside and or outside). If its hot and you live in Phoenix this could be normal? Its fairy normal for the fan to make noise on initial start on a cool engine but it will usually dis-engage with in a half a minute or less.
Have it checked. In extreme cases of neglect the fan can come loose and take out the radiator and other various items on the front of the engine.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:29 PM
nagetech
Tuned
Thanks for the reply!

Truck has 100k on her. As far as temperatures go, all the gauges are fine, and using the onboard cluster screen it reports the Trans Temp to be 190F.

I figured on start up it should be that way. I am in Jersey and it is not really that hot. I can go for a 2 hour drive on the highway, and when I get back into town, the acceleration has that loud sound of the spin roaring with it. Once I get to cruising speeds 40+ its not really noticeable.

The fan feels tight in the sense of it not being wobbly. It spins with some resistance.

Let me know if that clarifies.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:35 PM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Could be normal operation since it is new to you. It should come and go as needed and not stay engaged unless the temp is high enough to tighten up the clutch. I have seen clutch fans fail in the locked position. If in doubt take it somewhere you trust for a professional opinion.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:41 PM
nagetech
Tuned
The main reason I am having this concern is because I heard other 6.2l in other videos doing hard accelerations, and it didn't sound like mine. In those videos you just hear the motor opening up, my truck, it sounds like a 747 about to take off.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:46 PM
nagetech
Tuned
Follow up Request:

Might be asking a lot here, but could a fellow 6.2l owner record their truck accelerating to get a comparison of the audio? Might give me a better reference point Thanks!

Old 09-19-2014, 05:47 AM
Pit Crew
Senior User
I know exactly what you talking about. I have 7k on 2014 and has done this since new (march). I hate it, but it`s a crap shoot as to when it happens or how long it does it. It happens most on cold starts. By that I mean mornings weather it be 40 or 80 degrees, after work when it has sat all day. Sometimes it will do it for ten miles, and sometimes it may quit after going through the gears the first time. If it doesn't quit right away, I can hard accelerate and make it stop. The out side temp or towing , or running for long periods dosen`t seem to have any affect on when it may happen.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:38 AM
ATP Pilot
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pit Crew
I know exactly what you talking about. I have 7k on 2014 and has done this since new (march). I hate it, but it`s a crap shoot as to when it happens or how long it does it. It happens most on cold starts. By that I mean mornings weather it be 40 or 80 degrees, after work when it has sat all day. Sometimes it will do it for ten miles, and sometimes it may quit after going through the gears the first time. If it doesn't quit right away, I can hard accelerate and make it stop. The out side temp or towing , or running for long periods dosen`t seem to have any affect on when it may happen.
^^^^ same thing on my truck

Old 09-19-2014, 12:52 PM
nagetech
Tuned
UPDATE:

Dropped Truck of at Dealership to do some Preventative Maintenance for me (full fluid exchange front to back on truck so I have a good base). They checked out my concern for the fan clutch and as it turns out, there were codes stored for it, though no Check Engine Light. I'm glad they confirmed my concerns regarding it. While there, they will be updating the Sync to 3.1.4, get me my door lock codes, regrease my slip yoke and take care of a slight squeaking I have in a rear door. Can't wait to get her back!

So throwing it out there, if you guys have that Jet Engine Take off sound, might not hurt to have the clutch checked out. I kinda figured no way the truck was meant to be that loud.

Loving this truck! Great deal on her and after her Kinks are ironed out, I feel I will have many miles of trouble free driving out of her.

I feel my Diesel is getting jealous, but that's a whole other issue