1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worn parts and death wobble

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 10:53 PM
DieselVol
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Worn parts and death wobble

Getting the dreaded death wobble, mainly at low speed for now, but getting worse at all speeds. While many suggest steering stabilizers, the consensus seems to be that the worn parts on the front that allow the wobble, need to be replaced. What are those parts, and how much $$$ am I looking at, parts and labor?

Old 09-16-2014, 10:55 PM
DieselVol
Laughing Gas
FYI: my truck is a 4wd conversion using parts off of an '06, so all parts would be for an '06 and not an '03 as the sig suggests. Thanks.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:38 PM
Modularation
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Start with a new trac-bar.
Don't you wish you had the leaf springs back?

Old 09-17-2014, 05:32 AM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
What is your tire pressure?

Old 09-17-2014, 05:56 AM
DieselVol
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Modularation
Start with a new trac-bar.
Don't you wish you had the leaf springs back?
Never had them. Mine WAS a 2wd.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:57 AM
DieselVol
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by redford
What is your tire pressure?
75 lbs in the classic oversized tire that causes this problem. 285/70/19.5.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:10 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Modularation has the place to start in my opinion. I've seen lots of people crediting different things for the resolution of their death wobble, but the most common fix is the track bar.

I think a little slop in the bushings allows enough lateral movement for the death wobble to occur.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:19 AM
artguys
Senior User
As you stated loose parts are allowing it to vibrate...loose or worn parts don't make it shake. First I would do a tire rotation and go from there. Tires and or tires/wheels are almost always overwhelmingly the issue. And don't go throwing a bunch of money at balancing...with that chassis and tire/wheel combination there is so much unsprung weight a few ounces won't make a difference.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:31 AM
stuart1
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Start the vehicle.

Turn the steering wheel 1/4 turn both ways.

Watch the hood.

If the track bar is worn the vehicle will move.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:31 AM
hodge5
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Death wobble happens because of a excessive movement allowed in the ordinarily rigid suspension/steering system. It almost always involves more than one worn part. When the oscillation starts, from an out of balance tire, pothole, ripples in the pavement, etc., The tire moves, effecting the steering, and that movement hits the next part. That movement continues to the next part, until the movement stops. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, so there is a rebounding effect. As that goes back through the steering, the worn parts allow more minute movement than normal. The wobble comes from the oscillation, as the energy moves back and forth through the steering system. When parts aren't worn out, the energy stops; when they are worn, there is room within the individual bushings to allow rebound, so that the energy continues (or can grow), instead of ceasing. This is why the only remedy is to slow down or stop, and cease the energy. Therefore, it is seldom as simple as replacing a steering stabilizer or track bar; it is essential to go through the system, and replace all worn parts. Replacing one may mitigate things, but it won't make the problem go completely away.
I dealt with this on my 94 Dodge. I systematically went through the system, and replaced the steering stabilizer, track bar, ball joints (and unit bearings, when it need them replaced), tie rod ends, a steering box brace, control arm bushings, sway bar links and bushings, and kept it in good alignment. As I went through the system, it progressively got better (I did not replace everything at one time). Once completed, I could hit pot holes or whatever, and the wobble was completely gone- I couldn't get it to happen again.
It can happen in a leaf-sprung vehicle, if the steering system is worn. It is just more prevalant in coil-sprung trucks because the track bar plays a more prominent role. You seldom to never see it in cars or autos with rack-and-pinion steering, because the design and geometry are different. Plus, they typically run smaller tires.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:50 AM
Modularation
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tom
Modularation has the place to start in my opinion. I've seen lots of people crediting different things for the resolution of their death wobble, but the most common fix is the track bar.

I think a little slop in the bushings allows enough lateral movement for the death wobble to occur.

Super Duty Wobble for information only.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:41 AM
DieselVol
Laughing Gas
So, anybody actually bought the WC Motorsports kit and if so, did it really fix the problem?

Old 09-17-2014, 06:23 PM
DieselVol
Laughing Gas
Why "for information only"? Not really a viable alternative? It seems like it might be cheaper solution than replacing all of the parts, but only if it actually works.

Old 09-20-2014, 06:48 PM
je5
Senior User
Old 09-20-2014, 09:24 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,633 Likes on 1,645 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselVol
Getting the dreaded death wobble, mainly at low speed for now, but getting worse at all speeds. While many suggest steering stabilizers, the consensus seems to be that the worn parts on the front that allow the wobble, need to be replaced. What are those parts, and how much $$$ am I looking at, parts and labor?
I know this pertains to JEEP's but it is probably one of the best write ups on the subject that I have seen. Best of luck to you.
Diagnosing Death Wobble and Fixing Non-DW Shimmies and Wobbles - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Quick Reply: Worn parts and death wobble