1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

2001 E150 Van w/Rusted Through Frame

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 06:48 PM
Bigfoot151
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E150 Van w/Rusted Through Frame

Looking for some options here. My E150 conversion van has a frame that is rusted through in the area where the steering box connects to the frame. The dealer will not inspect it like that, saying that the box could break free from the frame at any time. Has anyone else had this issue, and what could be done about it? Thank you in advance!

Old 09-16-2014, 07:49 PM
Wildman25
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This seams unusual, I've never seen a E series frame rusted out.

Bodies, yes, but frames

But, I guest it's possible.
Haven't been driving that van in the ocean, have you??

First option, get a 2nd opinion on this from another garage/mechanic.

Frame repair is possible from a frame shop, and should not cost too much.

And yes, if that is the case, it is kind of on the danger side that the steering box could break off the frame, and you would lose control of the vehicle.

I've seen Jeep Cherokee's and Comanches with this problem but that's with the 'uni-body' frame design (hollow frame) and used in off-roading, where the steering box "breaks" loose from the mount, or the 'frame' cracks.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:49 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My '73 Ford E200 flatnose van, which was a unit body, had the steering box fall off the rotted portion of the unit body onto which it was bolted. I got quotes for welding it up at that point but passed and sold it "as is", disclosing that there was a problem. I saw it on the road some 3 years later, so it must have been fixed as opposed to parted out.

I have never heard of a steering box falling off the separate frame on a longnose post-74 E-series van. It would certainly be possible for a welder to reconstruct that area of the frame by boxing it in or grafting part of the frame from a wreck, but I would first seek an opinion as to the health of the rest of the frame. There would be other areas like spring perches, suspension mounts, body mounts, engine mounts, etc. that could be stressed.

If the body is worth saving with the frame proclaimed gone, there have been successful transplants onto different frames (maybe from a rollover van), but you would have to look at the cost/benefit relationship. My guess is that if the frame is really rotted, the body can't be in great shape either. Are you in the rust belt? (I am in Detroit, definitely the rust belt here...)

Really my question would be "how solid is the rest of the van?" In the old days, we would junk cars 6 years old due to rust....

Good luck,
George

edit--a few years back, Toyota Tacomas (I think) had a frame rusting problem, and Toyota even bought them back from owners in a company program, or gave huge trade in values. Maybe see if your year van has any incidence of problems with lousy frame rustproofing or something.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:30 AM
mcolabella
New User
I have 2000 f250, and I was looking under the truck recently and thought there is a lot of rust especially around the steering box. The truck doesn't get driven a lot its 94000 miles on it. Right now I have to replace front left and right rear caliber s from being rusted.

My work van sat for a year in a grass field and is nowhere as rusted as my ford at its a 99 with 227000 miles so I am not sure what to do was thinking of undercoating the truck

Old 09-17-2014, 06:41 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,410 Likes on 1,112 Posts
The frame area where the steering box mounts is a bit forward of any suspension point so patching the affected area is very possible.

I'd certainly refer this to a competent big truck shop because they deal with this sort of thing---and far more complex issues too----on an almost daily basis.

A stealership will back away from this sort of thing simply to avoid any liability that attaches for repairs outside their real expertise, make your own jokes about that.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:47 PM
Wildman25
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by JWA

A stealership will back away from this sort of thing simply to avoid any liability that attaches for repairs outside their real expertise, make your own jokes about that.
There is no joke about that -

Dealerships hate people like me, that only buy used (from private sellers)

They make the $$$ on selling new, used and over price repairs, and of course, Factory Recalls.

Ever seen a crappy looking dealer showroom???

On the road a week ago, drove back off the beaten path, and seen a Ford dealer, just out side a 'farming community', building looks like it was build in the 30's, and they had 3 or 4 brand new cars in the lot.........now, that's my kind of dealership

Didn't have 200 new cars in the lot, no used cars, and no 20 foot high glass walls for a showroom. Yea, I know, probably didn't have WI-fy in the waiting room neither.......Wouldn't be surprised if the owner did his own Tech work in the garage area too

Old 12-09-2016, 06:14 AM
castironman66
New User
I know it is a old post but my 97 E150 also has that rust on the bottom bolt of steering box and it clunks, so now I am left with a van that I cared for, just put in new tires and fill the tank. No happy about, have own many cars and trucks, first time for this.

Old 12-09-2016, 09:17 AM
kgmkgm
Junior User
Broncos will tear the steering box there, you can find plenty of repair / beef up tutorials for it. Almost any stock vehicle with 1 ton axles & 35s will rip there. I had a 4x4 shop weld mine back together because I found the metal ripping.

Old 12-09-2016, 05:48 PM
castironman66
New User
Thank you.

Thank you for your encouragement, I will switch my search to Ford brocos repair and see if I can come up with something. Thank you.

Old 10-10-2020, 07:48 AM
Joe Dado
New User
2001 E-150 with cracked frame

Very old thread here but I'll post to maybe help someone looking for some info on this like myself. Yes I have this same issue on my 2001 ford E150 with 120K miles on it. Frame is rusty but there's still enough metal there where this shouldn't have happened. On Christmas eve the steering gearbox bolts sheared when I was picking up my youngest son for the holiday. It happened slowly backing out of a driveway. The driveway was pitched and the street is pitched so as I turned out of the driveway, it stressed the steering/frame. Took it to the shop and he replaced the bolts, welded and repaired the frame where it cracked near the lowest bolt, and replaced the lower ball joints. He said that would help with the steering. Held out a year and a half then it happened again while I was parallel parking. I replaced the steering gearbox myself and replaced the bolts ($119 before tax/shipping for 3 bolts from ford). However, I see the weld did not hold up and the frame is cracked around the lower bolt. Imean the steering gearbox is literally ripped off the frame. I am currently looking for a frame shop to weld it and researching this problem (how I ended up on this old thread). I then need to get to the bottom of why this is happening. Sure the frame is rusted but its not rusted out. This is a bad design or some other components in the steering linkage need replacement. I will need help with this but I am going to get the right shop to do this work. Trying to avoid the $dealership$ as this is a 2001. Hope this might help someone know that another person had this problem as well. Make sure it gets fixed right the first time.

Old 10-10-2020, 06:33 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 985 Likes on 777 Posts
If the suspensions bushings are worn or dried out excess movement from those will put additional stress on the steering components. The 4 bushings I'm referring to are the radius arm bushings and axle pivot bushings, and of course worn ball joints would also contribute to the problem.

Old 02-19-2021, 04:47 PM
cello6996
New User
Joe Dado Yes I have an 01 conversion van and just had it happen to me as well. The body and interior are in great shape as is the motor with many miles on it I purchased it from someone who only used it to vacation with rest of the time it was garaged. I put new leaf springs in it last year so the rest of the frame and suspension is in good shape as well. Lucky enough for me I have worked tool and die as well as fab and construction most all my life so I do have a couple welders etc and some steel plate so I will be redoing the frame myself. I had to fix my 93 Tempos rear track to frame and it came out stronger than factory and still going. Much of these issues are from the junk steel our country is getting from another Asian country. I too am not one to go overpay for a brand new vehicle from a dealer stealer. If you like I will take pics and update as I go through the repairs. It will be a few as we in the Greater Detroit area are having winter after such mild weather.

Last edited by cello6996; 02-19-2021 at 06:30 PM. Reason: I was replying to another poster and did not see it
Old 12-31-2021, 07:38 AM
Jesse N
New User
It's common

Originally Posted by Bigfoot151
Looking for some options here. My E150 conversion van has a frame that is rusted through in the area where the steering box connects to the frame. The dealer will not inspect it like that, saying that the box could break free from the frame at any time. Has anyone else had this issue, and what could be done about it? Thank you in advance!
My dad's '04 e250 has this problem beginning now. He says it's common. His friend lost control when his box came out of the chassis. They say it happens quite a lot up north but dealers just wanted to deny the fact and completely ignore and avoid the issue. I'm going to unbolt the box probably weld in a steel plate, drill a few holes, and bolt it back in but there sure is a lot of rust right in that spot. This is obviously some manufacturer defect

Last edited by Jesse N; 12-31-2021 at 07:48 AM.
Old 12-31-2021, 10:23 AM
Mike1
Logistics Pro
Received 330 Likes on 299 Posts
This has been a problem for decades with Ford vans. There's only two ways to fix this properly. #1 would be to cut that section of frame out and weld in a new frame. The other more popular #2 is to plate that section of frame both inside and outside. Weld and drill and bolt it, then drill the new holes for the gear box. Time consuming PIA, but it's really the only sure way that it'll last.

Old 01-01-2022, 06:47 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,410 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by Jesse N
.......dealers just wanted to deny the fact and completely ignore and avoid the issue. I'm going to unbolt the box probably weld in a steel plate, drill a few holes, and bolt it back in but there sure is a lot of rust right in that spot. This is obviously some manufacturer defect
Rust isn't a "factory defect" so naturally the dealerships aren't interested or even capable of repairing it. Rust to this extent tends to reflect a lack of maintenance or regular inspection. If it gets so severe the steering box falls away from the frame well that's pretty much on the owner or driver through the years. I strongly suspect the front steering components were never lubricated otherwise this might have been noticed.

Big truck frame/alignment shops are far more capable and prepared to deal with these sorts of issues. DIY is okay if your skills are up to the task,

Quick Reply: 2001 E150 Van w/Rusted Through Frame