1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V-10 stalling - Banks exhaust system

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 09:28 PM
Easytime
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V-10 stalling - Banks exhaust system

Some time ago, I was on this web site looking for answers to a stalling situation I had with my V-10 engine in my motorhome.

I received several good suggestions but none of them seemed to work. I took the motorhome to the Ford Dealer and they could not come up with an answer.

As a last resort, I decided to change out the Computer and asked the dealer to order one for me. Ford no longer makes this computer. So, they had to order a re-built. While waiting for the re-built, it occurred to me that I have a Banks exhaust system in the motorhome and I called Banks to see if there was something I should do regarding their system. They simply told me to remove their chip and replace it in the new Computer. Then bring it into their offices to have it flash programed. I relayed this information to the Ford mechanic and he removed the chip. The motorhome ran fine on the original computer with no stalling what-so-ever.

Unfortunately, Ford had already ordered a re-built computer so I was committed to having it installed. I decided to keep the original as a back up. I made an appointment with Banks to have the new computer flash programed to their chip. While I was there, the Banks mechanic told me that it is a common for the chip connections to become dirty and cause stalling. He cleaned the connections and put it back in the motorhome. And charged me $85 for this simple service.

I wish, Banks had told me this is a common problem when I first called them. It would have saved me about $700.

I hope this info helps someone out there with a Banks chip and a stalling problem. The chip is on the outside top of the computer and is easily removed and installed. Takes about five minutes to clean the connections and re-install.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:05 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
Sucks you had to spend all that extra cash but thanks for sharing the outcome. Please post this in the V10 Section as well.