1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Detroit TrueTrac the best limited slip?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 06:44 PM
Larry Straight
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Detroit TrueTrac the best limited slip?

From reading through the forums, it seems that the Detroit TrueTrac is the favorite limited slip. Do most of you agree with that statement?

I'm not planning on mudding or rock climbing with a crew cab long bed. I need to be able to go on snow and ice.

What do you think about a TrueTrac in the front? If I have the hubs locked but in 2wd, will it act squirrely on a snow covered road?

Thanks for any advise!

Old 09-09-2014, 08:53 PM
ncl
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The tru trac is a good unit. If I recall correctly it does not require synthetic gear lube because it does not contain clutch packs like most limited slips. It is done all through helical type gears. So it should last forever I would think. With a limited slip in the rear it will tend to get squirrelly and the truck will want to change ends on you if you break the tires loose in the rain, snow or ice. So you will have to keep that in mind. Just drive for the conditions and you will be fine. If you added it to the front the only time it would be a factor is in 4wd. It would most likely increase turning radius even more than open diff in front cause you will have both front tires trying to turn sometimes. Just depends how the traction is.

Old 09-09-2014, 09:05 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I have Detroit tru-trac in my 2000 Jeep TJ - both front and rear, we keep in in the MTNS of SW Colorado for when we go stay on our property.
I've found 2wd (with the rear locker) covers me about 80% of the time.
In January we had 8" of snow and drove down w/o any problem - fresh snow offers great traction.. but used Neutral for 2 switchbacks 'cause the front wouldn't turn.

They only "lock" under power (and when using engine braking). Turning under power in 4x4 is awkward - the front axle being locked in a turn pretty much makes you go straight - with the wheels pointed in a different direction. I've learned to lift off the gas to turn - of when possible shift into neutral - mostly downhill (auto vs. manual).

In retrospect, I should have splurged for an air locker up front. We've pulled a utility trailer up a 15% driveway in the snow (with chains on), because all 4 tires were spinning... before the chains.

The clic-clic-clic while turning (in 2wd) on pavement is normal.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:05 AM
PAf250
Senior User
I put a trutrac in my F250 last year. I got tired of using 4wd to get out of my driveway every day it snowed more then a dusing. One rear wheel spinning stinks. The trutrac works really well.

I would not put a limited slip in the front for snow. I would be a little worried about ice/snow covered roads. I would put one in the rear and see if you really need something in the front. If you need more traction I would go with an air, or e-locker. That way you can control it a little better.

If you do put one in the front let us know how it works on snow and ice covered roads.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:24 AM
Robb Kiker
New User
I agree with the other fellas on the LS in the front. Can actually limit your abilities. We do not have a lot of snow in my part of the country but lots of sloppy and slick mud and clay in the winter.

On various vehicles had: LS front and rear; Lockers front and rear; LS only in the rear and Locker only in the rear.

In the future, I will only have locker or LS in the rear OR locked in the rear with some type of controllable locker in the front (air, cable, electric, etc.)

Detroit is a great LS. It is tough and dependable. I have the GM G80 and Ford LS in present vehicles. Required to have a certain amount of wheel spin before the G80 will engage.... Lots of people have exploded them because of engagement at high rpm. To engage G80, I feather the throttle up and down until I feel it engage then use throttle and brake to keep it engaged.

As to the Ford LS, not sure I have ever felt it engage at all. Sometimes have both wheels spinning when going straight but even an open diff will do that if the torque is going back and forth between the wheels like when fishtailing.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-10-2014, 01:57 PM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a Detroit Tru-Trac in the Rear & love it, very smooth operation
As for the front, IMO it would be unnecessary for normal driving.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:23 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
I have a Detroit Locker in my F350 and love it! Wouldnt want anything else and I never have issues in rain or snow with it

galaxy S4 using IB AutoGroup

Old 09-13-2014, 01:02 PM
Anomic
Senior User
I have a farm and really really try to keep the f250 out of the fields an duse the tractors instead. Sometimes thats not possible and i have material in the bed or on a trailer and both tractors are being used elsewhere (i usually use a tractor to tow the 16' trailer in the field as it can handle it much better).

Anyway with 245/75/17 bfg at even in 4wd it is very disappointing. Constantly slipping and spinning. With the trailer if it is wet at all it is about a lost cause. And this past winter on the driveway which is pretty steep i had trouble getting up a few times. Im wondering if air locker front and back would be the way to go. I also drive on the highway alot and prefer an open diff as they are more predictable. But for the driveway and fields id like to be able to flip a switch and have all 4 wheels turning.

Ive ended up using those tow hook on the front of the truck alot of times lol

Old 10-26-2014, 11:55 AM
Larry Straight
Junior User
If you change differentials but do not change the gear ratio (ie - did not remove the pinion gear), do you have to mess around with shims and keep checking the gear contact?

Old 10-26-2014, 01:13 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,630 Likes on 1,644 Posts
Originally Posted by Larry Straight
If you change differentials but do not change the gear ratio (ie - did not remove the pinion gear), do you have to mess around with shims and keep checking the gear contact?
Yup.... Most certainly .....Pinion depth probably won't change, but backlash has to be correct. Sso I would be checking pattern anyway

Last edited by Desert Don; 10-26-2014 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Add comment
Old 12-26-2014, 07:04 PM
Larry Straight
Junior User
Just installed the true-trac today. First time I ever messed with differential before. Turns out it was fairly simple. The most difficult part was to try to get 140wt oil to flow when it is 40 degrees here! Now I have to wait for some snow to fall to give it a good try!

Old 12-26-2014, 07:25 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Did you just bolt in the carrier or did you shim and check backlash etc?

galaxy S4 using IB AutoGroup

Old 12-26-2014, 08:01 PM
Larry Straight
Junior User
I checked what the backlash was before I started. Then I put the carrier in with the factory shim on the left and put in a bunch from a shim kit on the right. When I checked the backlash it was too tight. Then I used shims from the kit to make to left side a little bit looser and the right side a little tighter. That made it match the original reading. I should be OK now.

Old 12-31-2014, 02:32 PM
Larry Straight
Junior User
Finally got some snow and ice!
Seems so weird to say that considering here in western NY we define summer as 2 months of bad snowmobiling!
Backed up an ice covered ramp. Went up it perfectly without even spinning a tire!
If I still had the open differential, I would of needed to put it into 4wd.
When I start up from a stop sign and there is a little gravel on the road, I can feel one wheel start to slip a little and then it the diff locks up. Almost feels like someone giving me a little push!
Happy so far and would do it again in a heart beat!

Old 12-31-2014, 06:08 PM
holeshotwalt
Posting Guru
Thumbs up

Thanks for posting your initial findings and feelings! Let us know after you drive it some more.
I love my TruTrac too!

Quick Reply: Is Detroit TrueTrac the best limited slip?