1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Mount cab solidly?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 10:35 AM
jonf
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mount cab solidly?

I know that Henry made F-1 frames so they could flex on the bad roads of the day. Now that we drive our oldies on good roads, is it a bad idea to mount the rear solidly at the back corners?

Old 08-19-2014, 11:03 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 858 Likes on 457 Posts
Even with good roads cars and trucks are subjected to a good amount of flexing. There are things like speed bumps, driving through shallow gutters, jacking up to change a tire, etc.

In my opinion, you would have to stiffen the frame to pretty much rigid to keep from torquing the body. Then you would have to be sure the suspension had enough travel to make up for the lack of flex in the frame.

This question has come up before. Just out of curiosity, why would you want to mount the cab solid?

Old 08-19-2014, 11:25 AM
jonf
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EffieTrucker
. Just out of curiosity, why would you want to mount the cab solid?
Because getting those black rubber triangles back in place is a real PITA.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:31 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Originally Posted by jonf
A little glob of rubber cement will hold them in place.

Old 08-19-2014, 02:28 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,130 Likes on 2,655 Posts
Originally Posted by jonf
I don't have my cab mounted to the frame yet and was looking at how easy it was going to be to wrestle the rubber situation and thought maybe using one of those small webbed racheting cargo straps to cinch the 2 mounts together then lowere the cab in place. Does this make any sense to you?

John

Old 08-19-2014, 02:56 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Originally Posted by 56panelford
I don't have my cab mounted to the frame yet and was looking at how easy it was going to be to wrestle the rubber situation and thought maybe using one of those small webbed ratcheting cargo straps to cinch the 2 mounts together then lower the cab in place. Does this make any sense to you?

John
That's a good idea.

I think the biggest obstacle is making sure the pocket on the cab is spread enough to fit over the arm. Before mine went to paint (yesterday) I made sure it fit easily with the new bushings in the arm, adding just a little for the paint thickness. I would rather have to draw it back closed a little with the bolt than risk tearing the paint off trying to drive the arm back into place.

Old 08-19-2014, 03:12 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Lower bolt in first. Correct use of a bottle jack against the dog bone and the top bolt will go right in. Mount the cab solid and my SWAG is you'll eventually break some welds in the cab and or have doors popping open in hard off angle.

Old 08-19-2014, 03:50 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
When Harrier and I put his cab on last week we found it was easier to install the back mounts first. We installed the top bolts first then aligned the bottoms. The Tri angle rubbers never moved the whole time. Once we installed the back bolts the front mounts were pieces of cake. After everything was aligned we tightend everything up. OBTW if you have a 53-55 the drivers side is a little tight because the fuel tank is near the back mount.

Old 08-19-2014, 04:14 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by bjmayberry2
When Harrier and I put his cab on last week we found it was easier to install the back mounts first. We installed the top bolts first then aligned the bottoms. The Tri angle rubbers never moved the whole time. Once we installed the back bolts the front mounts were pieces of cake. After everything was aligned we tightend everything up. OBTW if you have a 53-55 the drivers side is a little tight because the fuel tank is near the back mount.
You are right, top bolts first. Then jack against the lower part of the dog bone, the dog bone slides along the frame and the lower bolts goes right in. ...Then the front goes in. Really is not that bad a job, even for one person.

Old 08-19-2014, 04:44 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 761 Likes on 372 Posts
I got to wondering if it would be easier to attach the entire rear mount to the cab off the frame then line up the bolts that attach the mount to the frame.... The rear sure was a bit of a bearcat.

Old 08-19-2014, 05:00 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
My F1 build #1 I had to rebuild so much of the cab floor I ended up ditching the factory mounts and switched to S10 pickup cab mounts. I had an S10 parts truck so the stuff was on hand and free.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:03 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,130 Likes on 2,655 Posts
Originally Posted by Harrier
I got to wondering if it would be easier to attach the entire rear mount to the cab off the frame then line up the bolts that attach the mount to the frame.... The rear sure was a bit of a bearcat.
Would you be able to put a wrench in there to tighten the nut?

Old 08-19-2014, 07:49 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Yes. There is a square nut welded to the inside of the frame bracket. #20389-S is a bolt.

Attached Images  

Last edited by EffieTrucker; 08-19-2014 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Changed "No" to "Yes"
Old 08-19-2014, 08:43 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 761 Likes on 372 Posts
Originally Posted by EffieTrucker
No. You could weld a bolt into it, but I don't know that would be any easier than just connecting the arm when installing the cab.
Mine came with nuts welded to it. I'm pretty confident my cab mounts are original. I don't know which would be easier though. You have to hold your tongue just right either way.

Now the original poster mentioned F1. Are the cab mounts different for the F1's.

Here is mine installed. One of these days, I will probably need to replace the rubber, it's pretty old. Maybe I will experiment then.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:51 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,437 Likes on 1,389 Posts
Originally Posted by Harrier

Now the original poster mentioned F1. Are the cab mounts different for the F1's.
They are essentially the same. The repair kits and dog bones interchange.

Quick Reply: Mount cab solidly?