Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E4OD, anyway to bypass VSS switch on differential?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 08:40 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Im will say a Couple has some grindings. But the rest were clean. All it takes is the magnet to crack and you have a failure

Old 08-15-2014, 08:58 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by BruteFord
OT question, could a early TC or tail housing be swapped in and the speedo pickup version used instead to get the sensor off the rear end?
If the output shaft has the drive gear on it you could use an early tail housing.
You will need to calibrate the PSOM to no translation of the input VSS signal.

In other words:
PSOM conversion constant = 1.0

You will also have change the gear going into the early tail housing and maybe the driver gear also to get the speedometer to read right for your gear ratio and tire size.
This is how it is done by Ford on the 1992-1997 F53 chassis.

Edit:
You would use the same two gears that was used on the 1989-1991 trucks with the same tire size and rear end gears as with the conversion constant at 1.0 you would have the same information going to the computer that they did with the 1989-1991 trucks.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:47 PM
FourXFord2
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by subford
If the output shaft has the drive gear on it you could use an early tail housing.

In other words:

You will also have change the gear going into the early tail housing and maybe the driver gear also to get the speedometer to read right for your gear ratio and tire size.

Edit:
You would use the same two gears that was used on the 1989-1991 trucks with the same tire size and rear end gears as with the conversion constant at 1.0 you would have the same information going to the computer that they did with the 1989-1991 trucks.
I don't know how well that would work. Wouldn't you also need the wiring to EEC? Also the VSS on rear is used with the RABS system so you would have the antilock light on constantly. I would go with a cleaning and a close visual inspection of VSS first. Then reinstall it and block up rear wheels and check for voltage from the VSS as wheels are turning, BE SURE TO CHOCK THE FRONT WHEELS BEFORE DOING THIS! I never want to feel responsible for a FTE member getting run over by his own truck. I don't recall how many volts are produced but it's not much. A corroded or damaged wire could make a big difference. Might test at the VSS as well as the test connection under the hood.

Old 08-16-2014, 06:37 AM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rla2005
Quit working like no needle movement and blank odometer display? If so check fuses 8 and 18.
Ya, I will check the fuses. Thanks for all the help all.

Old 08-16-2014, 06:59 AM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
8 has no fuse and 18 is good.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:05 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by FourXFord2
I don't know how well that would work. Wouldn't you also need the wiring to EEC? Also the VSS on rear is used with the RABS system so you would have the antilock light on constantly. I would go with a cleaning and a close visual inspection of VSS first. Then reinstall it and block up rear wheels and check for voltage from the VSS as wheels are turning, BE SURE TO CHOCK THE FRONT WHEELS BEFORE DOING THIS! I never want to feel responsible for a FTE member getting run over by his own truck. I don't recall how many volts are produced but it's not much. A corroded or damaged wire could make a big difference. Might test at the VSS as well as the test connection under the hood.
I was not answering the OP.

The above text was only for BruteFord.

The wiring to the PSOM would only come from the tail shaft and the RABS may not work because the frequency would be to low.
The 1992-1997 F53 chassis do not have the RABS. The wiring is ran a little different as the wires are split and go right to the PCM Computer, Speed Control module and the PSOM. The PSOM on the F53 does not output to anything else except the speedometer head and the odometer. But I think the output as described above would still output to the Speed Control and the PCM Computer OK.

See diagram below for the F53:

/

Old 08-16-2014, 07:05 AM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by FourXFord2
Thanks I will go get under the truck and look at it and clean it off. That is why I am asking if there was a way to like get rid of this electric stuff. You know the old C6 that was non electronic. Can you build a E4od to operate correctly with no electrics. On the old school stuff you would not be having this problem.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:18 AM
Realslowww
Posting Guru

In other words:

Edit:
So over all what is te best setup for a simple trans, I do not like the fact my speedo and mile gauge just stop working and then the tranny no longer shifts right.

There is no power signal on the mile reader and the hole system just quit no speedo bounce.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:23 AM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
What fuses do I need to look at?

Old 08-16-2014, 07:30 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
If you LCD odometer does not have a mileage readout when the key is turned on and the needle does not go below zero and hit the peg when the key is turned on you have a problem with the PSOM and not the rear end or wiring from the rear end to the PSOM.

You most likely have a bad fuse (8 or 18) in the IP fuse panel.

As you may know the 1989 - 1991 trucks with the E4OD the speed signal ran from the transmission right to the computer. The same as the 1992-1997 F53 does. The speedometer was cable driven in the 1989 - 1991 trucks.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:34 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Here is a diagram of your 1994 VSS wiring:

/

Old 08-16-2014, 07:42 AM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
In any event I am going down to Ford to buy the VSS just to have it for trouble shooting if needed. What kind of testers do I need to start trouble shooting this truck in the future for various problems.

Thanks for any help.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:46 AM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
If you LCD odometer does not have a mileage readout when the key is turned on and the needle does not go below zero and hit the peg when the key is turned on you have a problem with the PSOM and not the rear end or wiring from the rear end to the PSOM.

You most likely have a bad fuse (8 or 18) in the IP fuse panel.

As you may know the 1989 - 1991 trucks with the E4OD the speed signal ran from the transmission right to the computer. The same as the 1992-1997 F53 does. The speedometer was cable driven in the 1989 - 1991 trucks.
I do not have a 8 fuse in my truck that I can see, what is a PSOM ?

I will go turn the key to see what happens at the dash. Thanks.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:56 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Realslowww
I do not have a 8 fuse in my truck that I can see, what is a PSOM ?
PSOM (Programmable Speedometer/Odometer Module): A module that processes vehicle speed information for use in various electronic systems. The PSOM can be programmed to accommodate various tire and axle combinations.

The PSOM:

/

Old 08-16-2014, 07:57 AM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
Needle hits peg on odometer reading, does this mean VSS break? again thanks for taking time to try and get this going.

Quick Reply: E4OD, anyway to bypass VSS switch on differential?