Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

pulsating brakes

Old 07-12-2003, 01:07 AM
elkslayer1
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pulsating brakes

I am a proud PSD owner, but i have been having problems with my brakes(front) pulsating during braking @ about 70-50 mph. Now, what i found out is the rotors keep warping and i don't know why, i have been driving for along time, and have never had this problem before with any other vehicles. The dealer(lol) says i am either towing a big load or am riding the brakes and insists that it is my rear rotors that are bad. it is neither, after i replaced the front rotors the pulsating went away, OH! did i forget to mention that i had the rotors turned twice and than replaced and turned again before i did the job myself and replaced the rotors a second time? The dealer sucks and wants to keep charging more for a problem that never goes away. I think it is a dfective part but i can't narrow it down. Has anyone else had this problem? Or can give some advice? I would appreciate any input. THANKS!

Old 07-12-2003, 06:01 AM
the tiler
New User
pulsating brakes

Im Having the same problem I have a 2002 F350 only 25000 miles
and the front brakes stink.
Anyone think this would be under warrenty I dont tow anything or carry alot of weight

Thanks
Jason

Old 07-12-2003, 07:56 AM
theologian
Postmaster
pulsating brakes

The problem is the Ford Motor Company. They are cheaping out on rotors - no longer can you get high mileage with the brakes, you get the cheapest bit of junk they can find and call rotors.

The post '99 have worse brakes than the pre, though both are a lot worse than the earlier trucks. I have been told that a cure for the problem is after market rotors, if you can find any rated for the wieght.

Theo

Old 07-12-2003, 07:20 PM
elkslayer1
Junior User
pulsating brakes

mine started at 9000 miles, Now i have 86000 and still the same problem, WHAT IS UP WITH THAT? since then i have installed aftermarket rotors myself, I dont have the brand off hand but i'll let you all know later. The rotors are about the easiest to replace as is the pads. I run just under $400 to do the job myself. "Thats rotors and pads on all four feet." What a savings from having the dealer do it at $800 just for replacing the rears and turning the fronts!

Last edited by elkslayer1; 07-12-2003 at 07:23 PM.
Old 07-13-2003, 01:26 AM
Jerrybo66
Elder User
pulsating brakes

For what it's worth.......
I also had trouble with the front brakes.... They were dragging and showing brake dust on the wheels... I replaced calipers and pads thinking the pistons were sticking...Still had brake dust..The extra heat caused the one rotor to warp.. I wrote to another forum and the answer I got was to replace the front hoses... Though it sounded weird, I did it 'cause I had no other idea to try. But thinking about it, it made sense...If the inside of the hoses were comimg apart, acting like a check valve it could leave a little bit of pressure on the pistons, causing a little brake drag...After installing them I noticed the wheel spun more freely....It may sound like nonsense, but it worked...No more brake dust, no more warped rotors so far....

Old 07-13-2003, 01:42 AM
elkslayer1
Junior User
pulsating brakes

I'll certainly look at that, i'm thinking it is probably something simple (hopefully)! Thanks.

Old 07-14-2003, 12:15 AM
baddsuperduty
Freshman User
Thumbs down pulsating brakes

If theres one problem that plagues our great big PSD's its brakes.
The truck is so heavy then put a trailer behind it and wallah, warped front rotors. I deal with this problem day in and day out.
The only cure is high performance aftermarket pads and rotors and if you do pull a trailer get electric brakes for it if poss. There are several places to get these aftermarket rotors and pads even cryogenically treated rotors will help. If you need help in finding where to get the right products I can tell you where I get them.
Good luck!

Old 08-18-2003, 06:12 AM
Paige Haddock
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pulsating brakes

"Baddsuperduty" wrote that if anyone needed to know where to get good aftermarket brake parts, just ask. I, too, have had problems with the brakes on my 2000 F350 4X4 dually. A good brake shop that I've trusted for years tells me that they have alot of problems with these big trucks. They have turned the rotors twice now in two months, replaced the pads twice, and the pulsating is coming back, just two weeks later. I haven't pulled any trailers or hauled a load in that time, either. If I can replace the rotors with quality aftermarket, I'll do it immediately. Just need to knw where to get them. I'm in Houston, Tx.

Thanks for your help....

Old 08-18-2003, 02:48 PM
Dan Ward
Freshman User
pulsating brakes

Hey Elkslayer

I have a questions about brakes but that comes later. From your name I'm assuming you're an elk hunter. I'm from MN and have been hunting in unit 16A since 1988. We've had great success hunting the early season. Once you've experienced bugling a bull in any other hunting experience that I've had pales. I've seen a little rain on the radar, but I'd like to know what your read is on the fire/dryness outlook. Also what do you hear about this years herd. We're getting pretty close (3 weeks) to loading the horses and heading west.
Back to the less important brake issue. I actually bought my 2000 7.3 Excursion 4X4 LTD, to replace my brother in laws 96 PSD, so we would have a newer vehicle to pull the horses out. My question is: with the 4x4, do the hubs need to come off to remove the rotors and pads. I'm thinking of replacing them myself also. Do you have any tips you'd offer about doing the job yourself?

Any feedback - especially about the elk - would be appreciated.

Dan Ward

Old 08-19-2003, 10:41 PM
elkslayer1
Junior User
pulsating brakes

Hey Dan, First of all right on with the elk hunting! 16A sounds like the wilderness area. don't know much about it, there are fires in that area but i think the cooler weather with any luck will help our fire fighters.I think you will be ok! its traditional to have fires here, but that doesn't stop the hunting season, just be safe and smart! we have had yet another mild winter, so i suspect the herds will be in great numbers again this year! GOOD LUCK!
Now on to the rotors, thats a bad deal with alot us. i did the rotors and pads myself and it could'nt of been easier! Assuming the excursion is identical to the pick-up trucks it is not necessary to remove the hubs, once you have removed the caliper and bracket, you can then tap the rotor off. it is a very simple procedure you won't believe it! 1/2 hour for the other side! I would do them myself and save your money for that hunting trip! Rotors and pads roughly $250 and your time vs $800 at the dealer .

Old 08-20-2003, 12:39 AM
baddsuperduty
Freshman User
pulsating brakes

A great place to get high performance brakes is a company called EGR. They are out of california and they are very nice to work with. Awesome results with their systems. Call Glenn at 1-800-468-2279. I've installed several sets now and so far everyone is very happy. Good luck and yes the brakes are very easy to install.

Old 08-20-2003, 03:35 PM
sfsterling
New User
pulsating brakes

Paige, I have been told by serveral technicians NOT to get the rotors resurfaced if they are warped and to buy new ones. They say while the resurfacing them fixes the problem temporarily it also take metal off the rotor leaving less metal to displace heat making them more prone to warp.

I was also told by several techs NOT to buy the lifetime warranty brakes at midas as they cause accellerated rotor warp beacuse the material they are made out of does not displace heat and is hard on the rotors. What good are lifetime warranty brakes if you have to replace the rotors every 20K?

Last edited by sfsterling; 08-20-2003 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-12-2003, 12:06 PM
paradiddle
Senior User
pulsating brakes

Went through the same deal after towing my buddies (non brake) trailer to Fla. from NH. I had bought cheapo new rotors and pads before the trip. I remachined them but it came back after a month or so. I now tow a electric brake trailer and am getting a set of Raybestos pads and rotors this time. Hope it works better.

Old 09-13-2003, 12:12 AM
Michael013
Senior User
pulsating brakes

We never resurface. Just buy new ones, heavy duty rotors if you can afford them. Rotors are one part I would not buy from the Ford Dealer, for any Ford vehicle.

Old 09-14-2003, 04:54 AM
Phat02
Senior User
pulsating brakes

Dan Ward and elkslayer1. i see that you are both avid hunters.

check this out, i thought it was funny.

http://www.bumperdumper.com/bumper2.htm

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: pulsating brakes