6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Is there anything to give me a REAL DEF gauge?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 03:50 AM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
My '14 started the countdown at 500 miles and continued to countdown until I refilled. It didn't hit the 500 DTE until 8,500 miles starting with a full tank. I refilled at 350 DTE and never had a problem. Within about 20 miles after my refill, the monitor went back to "ok". All it knows is over half, under half, or below the last sensor.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:35 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've tested my system. Run it to 0miles to empty, keep going and it will say "speed limited to 55mph in 40 miles". It dings at you every 5 minutes at that point. It gets quite stern when you actually run it dry.

My point is, she yells at you a LOT before you get shut down.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:52 AM
Javi1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wish that I was so busy that pouring 2 1/2 gallons of DEF in my truck every 5 to 7 thousand miles was a huge inconvenience...

Old 08-11-2014, 07:51 AM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I kind of look at filling the DEF Tank like the draining of the fuel/water separator bowl in that it is just part of owning a diesel. Both systems do have an in cabin alert that will notify you of a situation with either service needed.

But, I don't ever want to see the water in filter message appear...so every few weeks I slide my big butt down and drain the drain on the bowl. I have never seen any water come out so was the check performed really needed? Mechanically no, but for peace of mind....yes.

On the DEF, when I am getting ready to make a good long haul towing, every few thousand miles, or when I see the box of DEF sitting in the garage as a reminder I simply fill the tank. It's not a big deal.

If I am heading out pulling the RV I usually just load up a box/jug of DEF as a precaution should it be needed along the route, not unlike carrying a spare tire. I hope I don't need it, but if I do well then I have it to use.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:58 AM
Lastwagen
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just check it now and then. When it shows below half full, I go ahead and dump in another 2.5gal. No worries. Never has bothered me but I think some are just looking for another reason to do a delete. JMO

Old 08-11-2014, 08:00 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Understand that it is NOT a big deal...

but it's also NOT a big deal to take the ambiguity out of the situation by putting a real gauge or changing the wording to eliminate the ambiguity

my rub is that "less than half" can mean anything from 2.5 gallons down to zero gallons

simple symantics, I know, but why not correct it? if they need help with the coding/wording - be glad to

Old 08-11-2014, 08:33 AM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
I look at it this way, the more sensors that Ford could/would add to my truck are more sensors that could /would misread, detect erroneous errors that could/would cause the truck to shut down and require a tow to a dealership for no reason other than a computer related signal.

Not to mention that any parts or programs added to a vehicle don't come free. In the end the retail consumer pays the cost of the parts, installation, packed expense for warranty coverage added, future replacement of parts out of warranty and who know what else.

Of course I'm old and while I can enjoy the advancements of computers in the automotive industry, I still miss the simplicity of being able to raise the hood and working on the powertrain myself. Or for that fact even being able to see the motor that is now covered with so many hoses, covers and sensors. Guess this is why I still change my own oil, filter and fuel filters.

On a side note: I am really enjoying that 5th wheel tailgate when towing the 5th wheel....Thanks again,

Old 08-11-2014, 09:27 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
I just gauge mine by what you guys have said here until Sunday while playing around with my Edge. I won't trust it until its proven, but even then, I don't operate that way. Being in EMS for all these years, I've learned to never let a truck get below a 1/2 tank of fuel(my own cars too) and always keep all fluids at that level as well. I can't stand it when the washer fluid or anything like that gets around a 1/2, I HAVE to fill it up!!

Old 08-11-2014, 09:35 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by jonrjen
I look at it this way, the more sensors that Ford could/would add to my truck are more sensors that could /would misread, detect erroneous errors that could/would cause the truck to shut down and require a tow to a dealership for no reason other than a computer related signal.

Not to mention that any parts or programs added to a vehicle don't come free. In the end the retail consumer pays the cost of the parts, installation, packed expense for warranty coverage added, future replacement of parts out of warranty and who know what else.

Of course I'm old and while I can enjoy the advancements of computers in the automotive industry, I still miss the simplicity of being able to raise the hood and working on the powertrain myself. Or for that fact even being able to see the motor that is now covered with so many hoses, covers and sensors. Guess this is why I still change my own oil, filter and fuel filters.

On a side note: I am really enjoying that 5th wheel tailgate when towing the 5th wheel....Thanks again,
you ain't THAT old

and happy the gate worked out for you --- you were in an out of here so fast - now that you know where we are at - next time come on in for a cup o joe !!!

Old 08-11-2014, 10:16 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
The only time DEF was a pain was in mid-2010 when these trucks began to show up and the auto parts stores at the time would give you a blank stare when asked for DEF, as if I was asking for headlight fluid.
Because we also didn't realize at the time the factory and dealers were not filling the tanks.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:29 AM
Txjole
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My first time fill my DEF I happen to be a truck stop and saw the sign, figured I whip over and fill her up, my regen light was come on a few times and I had 3000 miles on the new rig. Walk in the big rig side throw my CC down tell the girl I'm filling up on DEF walk out like I own the place. Pumped $1.86 worth, no cash in my pocket I go back in with my head hung and whisper through 4" thick glass I got $1.86 worth on pump 5. Now I wait, plenty of truck stops have it on tap.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:36 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Txjole
My first time fill my DEF I happen to be a truck stop and saw the sign, figured I whip over and fill her up, my regen light was come on a few times and I had 3000 miles on the new rig. Walk in the big rig side throw my CC down tell the girl I'm filling up on DEF walk out like I own the place. Pumped $1.86 worth, no cash in my pocket I go back in with my head hung and whisper through 4" thick glass I got $1.86 worth on pump 5. Now I wait, plenty of truck stops have it on tap.
Ok now that's funny.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:41 AM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jdadamsjr
you ain't THAT old

and happy the gate worked out for you --- you were in an out of here so fast - now that you know where we are at - next time come on in for a cup o joe !!!
LOL!!! I appreciate that. However unlike the DEF not having a monitor, human age comes with a calendar. And my calendar shows that come Friday I need to add one more year to my age and recalculate for a new sub total.

And yes it was a rather quick trip that day. However, on the way over we passed a little restaurant called "Our Place" and thought we need to give it a try based on the packed parking lot. It has been worth every trip since then....LOL!!!!

Old 08-11-2014, 10:42 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
X2!

Old 08-11-2014, 12:20 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by jonrjen
LOL!!! I appreciate that. However unlike the DEF not having a monitor, human age comes with a calendar. And my calendar shows that come Friday I need to add one more year to my age and recalculate for a new sub total.

And yes it was a rather quick trip that day. However, on the way over we passed a little restaurant called "Our Place" and thought we need to give it a try based on the packed parking lot. It has been worth every trip since then....LOL!!!!
All you had to do is ask for a reference for Our Place -
we are there regularly - give us a shout next time !
can't make breakfast at home for what they charge!
and the grand girls love the Texas shaped waffles
and there's another one in Burleson too,

Whenever we want some comfort food it's there or Babe's !
but if we make it over to Burleson Babe's usually MAKES us go eat there !

Quick Reply: Is there anything to give me a REAL DEF gauge?