1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Lets do it again! 1951 Ford F1 LT1 supercharged, 4L80E, EFI, jag IFS, etc..

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 10:57 AM
ADOR
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by drptop70ss

A cool think I just found out tonight is the floor shifter in the jag is a pseudo ratchet shifter! It has detents from 1 to 2 to D, so you can start out in first, slam it and it only goes to 2nd, then slam it again and it goes into drive. I normally use 4 speed automatics now but I am going to see if I can make it work. Not a bad looking shifter either.
I knew when I parted that XJ12L out years ago I kept that shifter for some reason, lol. I will have to look at it closer when I get home from work.

Old 08-15-2016, 04:23 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by pweng1
You're gonna have to change your handle to Jag man if you buy any more Jaguars.
Maybe to Jag SLAYER LOL...

This one goes to the scrapper tomorrow.

Name:  020_zpsokgylj0d.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  246.8 KB

Picked up this one today, it actually runs which is a rarity. Only goes in reverse though!

Name:  016_zps0nkz0oxo.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  253.8 KB

Seller said this was a SOLID car..passenger side floor fell out on the way home! I guess SOLID is up to interpretation.

Name:  019_zpsdercuier.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  249.4 KB

It has been too hot to paint, so still have not finished the air cleaner on the truck, but it is on the list of things to do.

Old 08-28-2016, 05:46 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Dave, I have been watching your progress and I don't know where you find all your time, but I am trying to get organized and get back in my truck project.
I like the JAG gas cap in the rear fender. I would like to get one myself! But that would be copying you. But I like that better than any I have seen.
Nice work!

Old 08-28-2016, 07:08 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle
Dave, I have been watching your progress and I don't know where you find all your time, but I am trying to get organized and get back in my truck project.
I like the JAG gas cap in the rear fender. I would like to get one myself! But that would be copying you. But I like that better than any I have seen.
Nice work!
Thank you!
Glad to hear you are back on your truck! I remember reading your build thread closely to get ideas for my trucks, before I got these I knew zip about F1s. Your build was one of them that pushed me to the jag IFS in the first place, so if you like the jag filler then USE IT, you wont be copying me, no way am I the first to use one and I wont be the last. I may be the first to use Hudson tail lights though

Time is flying, I already scrapped out that brown jag and I have a z28 in the "death bay" to be stripped and scrapped next, and I have some more house projects to knock out before I can get the last few items done on the truck. Too many things to do and not enough hours in a day!

Also organizing parts for the next "sort of" F1 build that will be coming soon, it will be a "love it or hate it" kind of build .

Old 08-28-2016, 07:22 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
I will be watching for a JAG around here, don't see them very often in the salvage yards. I like that setup though. I also will probably get a '95 van gas tank for EFI like you have. Right now I have a plastic tank from a Jeep grand cherokee, it is turned sideways to fit between the rails in the rear frame. It looks stupid...what was I thinking...
There are a few things I have looked at and thought "what was I thinking" LOL
mostly small things...I guess when money is tight, we get creative(desperate)
Money is not as tight anymore...No kids at home...New better paying job that doesn't take me away from home anymore...now I just gotta stop scratching my butt and get busy!
Also I wanted to know where you got the JAG IFS rebuild parts and poly bushings for the rack?

Old 08-28-2016, 07:42 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
The gas tank took me some time to figure out. I knew I didn't want the filler in the truck bed, and I found a website that sold tanks and had pictures and dimensions of them all. Tried the van tank and it works great. I considered a Jeep tank as well but couldn't find a small enough one for fuel injection. The tank is also available from older vans without FI, would be 1986 and older.

All the front end rebuild parts are from rock auto, and they also sell the gas tank as well, but I think the best deal on the tank is from auto parts warehouse because they frequently have sales and free shipping.

I have rebuilt 3 jag IFS units now and rock auto always had the parts in stock. The only part I do not see them sell is front springs but they are on ebay if needed, same with rebuilt steering racks, but they are pricey.

The poly rack bushings I got on ebay for I think around $30, well worth it.

If you want a jag filler I have a few spares with the sheet metal cut from the car, as long as I have enough for me I can sell one or two. The caps are all over ebay for sale but not normally with the sheet metal stamping to do a recessed installation.

Old 08-28-2016, 08:18 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Dave I sent you a PM on the JAG filler.

Thanks for the info on the rebuild parts!

Old 08-31-2016, 09:20 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Well the truck still isnt 100 percent done but my daughter wanted us to take it to the local car show Monday night, so off we went! Put 40 or so miles on it and happy to say we made it there and home with no issues, runs around 190 degrees and hauls *** up in the power band. Unfortunately the transmission is going to have to come out for a rebuild, 3/4 synchros are shot and the 5/6 blocker ring as well. I will probably just swap it out for another T56 and put this one on the shelf for now.

Name:  665_zpsjk8nilmw.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  151.9 KB

Finishing details still to come, still working on other house and car projects at the same time.

Old 08-31-2016, 10:19 PM
pweng1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Great job on your trucks. 2 driving before many of us can get one moving.

Old 09-01-2016, 12:52 AM
burnettd01
Laughing Gas
Received 68 Likes on 41 Posts
Nice F1

Dave
I really like the truck - nice job.

Now that you have driven the truck for a few miles, how does the truck ride? Do you have Jag XJ6 front springs in your truck?

The reason that I ask is that my Jag IFS came from an XJ12 and I think the XJ12 Springs may be too heavy for the truck. Best I can tell is that the curb weight of an XJ12 is about 200 lbs more than an XJ6.

Just thought I would ask as you seem very familiar with the Jag XJ IFS.

Sorry if I am high jacking your thread.

Thanks

Dan

Old 09-01-2016, 05:57 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by burnettd01
Dave

Now that you have driven the truck for a few miles, how does the truck ride? Do you have Jag XJ6 front springs in your truck?

The reason that I ask is that my Jag IFS came from an XJ12 and I think the XJ12 Springs may be too heavy for the truck. Best I can tell is that the curb weight of an XJ12 is about 200 lbs more than an XJ6.

Thanks

Dan
Dan,
I can jump in here and relate my experience with springs. My original XJ IFS came out of an early, Series 2 car. Those original springs were too soft. I purchased a new set from an ebay seller . I believe that the available replacement springs are the more common medium stiffness springs. I have I think 4 shims, 2 on top and 2 on the bottom locations. I am running a sbc and it is good. The ride and handling with the Jag IFS and 9 inch rear is very good, I rate it equivalent to a modern 1/2 ton truck, much different than when I drove it with the original suspension (which i did a lot of).

Old 09-01-2016, 07:41 AM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by pweng1
Great job on your trucks. 2 driving before many of us can get one moving.

Thanks, getting to drive them is what pushes me to finish them!

Originally Posted by burnettd01
Dave

Thanks

Dan

Hi Dan,
I am running the XJ6 springs, used with unknown miles on them (has to be less than 100K, most jags I get have low miles since they refuse to run ). I am running no plastic spacers. Ride is good, I have to admit I was not really paying attention to it, but if it was a harsh or bad ride it would of gotten my attention. My engine is not overly heavy, iron block SB chevy with aluminum heads. I have only had it up to 80mph but it was plenty stable. Corners at speed have some lean so I think I need at least a bigger sway bar up front. Maybe the tall cab just made it feel like there was some lean, I will know more with more driving. One thing I did notice is the turning radius is not that great, so some room is needed for U turns.

I would try the springs you have and go from there, they are not hard to replace since all you have to do is lower the spring plate to remove them and not touch the spindles or other front end parts.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:58 AM
burnettd01
Laughing Gas
Received 68 Likes on 41 Posts
Thanks guys

I appreciate the feedback. I agree, once it's on the road I will be able to tell pretty quickly.

Glad to here from you both.

Enjoy the ride

Dan

Old 10-29-2016, 04:51 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Is the truck done yet? LOL No, still been working on other stuff, but I still drive it anyway.
Last night was the Halloween party at my daughters old school, they still invite us every year since we supply some sort of cool car decoration. This year was the truck.

Name:  IMG_0518_zps4zfo0yz3.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  147.6 KB

Old 11-09-2016, 05:51 PM
barnfind 51
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dave you have done a outstanding build on the F1.. You have the skills man!!
You take a your builds to a different level. Very Inspiring. Very Helpful for a old timer.
Thanks George

Quick Reply: Lets do it again! 1951 Ford F1 LT1 supercharged, 4L80E, EFI, jag IFS, etc..