2015 - 2020 F150 Discuss the 2015 - 2020 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts
View Poll Results: Which 2015 F150 engine would you pick?
Naturally aspirated 3.5L V6
2.02%
5.0L V8
45.45%
2.7L EcoBoost V6
14.48%
3.5L EcoBoost V6
38.05%
Voters: 297. You may not vote on this poll

Question of the Week: Which 2015 Ford F150 Engine Would You Pick?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 06:02 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
I, too would buy the V8 for its sound. The EB doesn't sound that great under the hood of an American pickup.

That being said...Tom, not sure how you think turbocharging is relatively new to gasoline engines. Really, its quite a mature technology...just continually refined to improve it, like anything else.
It's been used in niche market vehicles that had varying degrees of success. How many gas turbos could you name before 2010? Lots of them, like the Mustang SVO, were known as turds which constantly experienced problems.

Just plastic pipes and rubber hoses which are problem free for probably at least 10 years. An intercooler (or charge air cooler as you call it) also has no moving parts. So basically we're back to the two turbos and the direct injection system...that's all the 3.5TT has in extras over the 5.0L. And there is plenty of speculation the 5.0L is on the verge of getting direct injection; the bosses for the injectors are apparently already being machined into the cylinder head castings...
Problem free for at least ten years. But what about after that? It only takes one oil or coolant leak to destroy an engine, and the EcoBoost has a lot more places for that to happen. Don't get me wrong, I really liked me EcoBoost truck, and that happens to be the only engine I'd seriously consider if I buy an F150 next year. But all that tech has it's downsides, and I think it's naive to think otherwise.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:36 AM
Papa Tiger
Fleet Owner
Received 3,435 Likes on 2,350 Posts
2.7L in a crew cab for me.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:15 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 538 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
It's been used in niche market vehicles that had varying degrees of success. How many gas turbos could you name before 2010? Lots of them, like the Mustang SVO, were known as turds which constantly experienced problems.
There were a lot of good, turbocharged cars for decades before 2010. Many of them were European. Look at Volvo, for example: 240 Turbo, 740 Turbo, 760 Turbo, 940 Turbo, 850 Turbo, S/V 70 Turbo, S80 twin turbo, XC90 twin turbo or single turbo, on and on. Saab has also made turbo'd cars for years: the 900, 9000, 9-3, 9-5, etc were all available with turbos. Rolls-Royce and Bentley have made turbos since the 1980's. Lotus has turbos. VW Group has been making quality turbos since 2000, starting, oddly, the 2.7L V6 twin-turbo. They have been making very good 4-cyclinder turbos since around then as well. I know there were a few Jap turbo cars as well, e.g. Dodge Stealth / Mitsu 3000 GT...probably many more. But turbo technology has been used on diesel engines forever...and it basically does the exact same thing as on a gas engine. For whatever failures the American companies had in the past w/ turbocharging, consider it lessons learned. Not all the SVO's were junk. So in my short list which spans decades of common production vehicles, I'm sure others could add many more cars I forgot. Which reinforces the point that turbocharging is most definitely a mature technology.

Originally Posted by Tom
Problem free for at least ten years. But what about after that? It only takes one oil or coolant leak to destroy an engine, and the EcoBoost has a lot more places for that to happen. Don't get me wrong, I really liked me EcoBoost truck, and that happens to be the only engine I'd seriously consider if I buy an F150 next year. But all that tech has it's downsides, and I think it's naive to think otherwise.
I think maybe you're over dramatizing the ability of the Eco-Boost to self-destruct because of its additional places to leak. Most of the extra plumbing is simply air ducts. You have one extra place for coolant to leak (intercooler), and two extra places for oil to leak (turbos). I'd say if you were concerned about engine life expectancy beyond ten years, just do what you should do on any engine: replace all the coolant hoses, maybe replace oil lines to the turbos. Besides, even if the engine does start leaking fluids, its rarely catastrophic...more like a slow leak which gives plenty of opportunity to be noticed by the owner or regular mechanic long before the engine is in any danger.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:52 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
There were a lot of good, turbocharged cars for decades before 2010. Many of them were European. Look at Volvo, for example: 240 Turbo, 740 Turbo, 760 Turbo, 940 Turbo, 850 Turbo, S/V 70 Turbo, S80 twin turbo, XC90 twin turbo or single turbo, on and on. Saab has also made turbo'd cars for years: the 900, 9000, 9-3, 9-5, etc were all available with turbos. Rolls-Royce and Bentley have made turbos since the 1980's. Lotus has turbos. VW Group has been making quality turbos since 2000, starting, oddly, the 2.7L V6 twin-turbo. They have been making very good 4-cyclinder turbos since around then as well. I know there were a few Jap turbo cars as well, e.g. Dodge Stealth / Mitsu 3000 GT...probably many more. But turbo technology has been used on diesel engines forever...and it basically does the exact same thing as on a gas engine. For whatever failures the American companies had in the past w/ turbocharging, consider it lessons learned. Not all the SVO's were junk. So in my short list which spans decades of common production vehicles, I'm sure others could add many more cars I forgot. Which reinforces the point that turbocharging is most definitely a mature technology.
You bring up a good point about foreign cars, didn't think about those. My point wasn't that the EcoBoost is going to become a basket case in a few years. Quite the contrary, I think they've proven to be a very robust design. Remember I'm the guy who had an EcoBoost that I really enjoyed, and plan on having another.

I think maybe you're over dramatizing the ability of the Eco-Boost to self-destruct because of its additional places to leak. Most of the extra plumbing is simply air ducts. You have one extra place for coolant to leak (intercooler), and two extra places for oil to leak (turbos). I'd say if you were concerned about engine life expectancy beyond ten years, just do what you should do on any engine: replace all the coolant hoses, maybe replace oil lines to the turbos. Besides, even if the engine does start leaking fluids, its rarely catastrophic...more like a slow leak which gives plenty of opportunity to be noticed by the owner or regular mechanic long before the engine is in any danger.
Do the 2015s have an air to water CAC? The current-gen engines have use an air-to-air design, the only air-to-water design I'm aware of on a Ford product is the 6.7L PSD.

The turbochargers, at least on the current-gen models, are oil lubricated and water cooled. Meaning you have oil and coolant lines going to each turbocharger.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:01 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Tom
Do the 2015s have an air to water CAC? The current-gen engines have use an air-to-air design, the only air-to-water design I'm aware of on a Ford product is the 6.7L PSD.

The turbochargers, at least on the current-gen models, are oil lubricated and water cooled. Meaning you have oil and coolant lines going to each turbocharger.
You are correct - a bit of research shows the F-150 CAC is air to air. The new Fusion 1.5, for example, has a liquid cooled CAC. I made an incorrect assumption.

As for the turbos, once again I figured they might be water cooled but wasn't sure. Many of the newer turbo engines, at least on german cars, have a small, supplemental electric water pump. When the engine is shut off hot, that electric pump circulates the coolant going through the turbo(s) to help cool the bearings since the oil will no longer be circulating.

Old 11-20-2014, 03:18 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 59 Likes on 28 Posts
The F150 EcoBoost circulates water after shutdown to help cool the turbos as well.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:29 PM
whofan
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RigTrash601
So far, it is a dead heat between the 5.0 & the 3.5 EB, with a slight advantage to the V8, even though the EB is a better performing engine. Hopefully Ford is listening ( I'm pretty sure this poll reflects the general mind set of the truck buying public) and they don't completely phase out the V8's, it would be a shame. IMHO, they should still offer the 6.2L in the half ton segment, in the New lighter F150, it would be an animal. Would love to see a "forced induction" 5.0 also..........

If Ford were to completely phase out the V8. GM and Chrysler will then gain many would be Ford customers.

Old 01-19-2015, 06:43 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by whofan
If Ford were to completely phase out the V8. GM and Chrysler will then gain many would be Ford customers.
I agree. The CAFE requirements of 54mpg by 2025 is the driving reason for smaller engines in trucks...but in this case, the V8 basically equals or outperforms the turbo in real-life mpg. Of course, the EPA sees it a little differently. Ford can't really offer the 6.2L in the F-150 anymore because its mpg is poor and would bring down the average.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:41 AM
BFTUFF
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those EPA regulations will be relaxed once this madman and his globalist agenda is gone form the presidency. It's a V8 for me all the way. I don't see a Superduty with a V6 lol.......

Old 01-20-2015, 07:47 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by BFTUFF
Those EPA regulations will be relaxed once this madman and his globalist agenda is gone form the presidency. It's a V8 for me all the way. I don't see a Superduty with a V6 lol.......
While I agree with your thoughts about the current president, global warming is actually happening...regardless of why it is happening. Trying to curb emissions is a positive thing...smog, whether it contributes to warming or not, is unhealthy to breathe.

Lastly, the EPA's mandate for better MPG is not necessarily to reduce emissions and warming by extension...it will inevitably help make the operating costs of a new vehicle cheaper for the consumer. Fuel prices will rise again, and if we can get 54mpg out of our new vehicles, then those high costs are offset. Then the only problem is to keep the manufacturers in check with rising new vehicle prices.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:12 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
I doubt Ford will completely phase out the V8, there is just way to much demand for it. I can see them bringing down the cost of the EcoBoost as time goes on.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:34 PM
Beechkid
Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts
While I agree with your thoughts about the current president, global warming is actually happening...regardless of why it is happening. Trying to curb emissions is a positive thing...smog, whether it contributes to warming or not, is unhealthy to breathe.

Lastly, the EPA's mandate for better MPG is not necessarily to reduce emissions and warming by extension...it will inevitably help make the operating costs of a new vehicle cheaper for the consumer. Fuel prices will rise again, and if we can get 54mpg out of our new vehicles, then those high costs are offset. Then the only problem is to keep the manufacturers in check with rising new vehicle prices.
Agree....and you have to also remember, it's not DC that is shoving this down the car mfg's/consumers throats....the car mfg's each have reps that sit on the advisory committee and must approve everything befor it is signed into the regs........

Old 01-20-2015, 04:02 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Don't be fooled. It's DC shoving the regulations down the car makers throats. In the past the car makers had the power to push back, now that the government is involved in the industry they can push these regulations with authority. The interesting thing is the car makers have been improving mileage figures w/o having strict regulations.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:14 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,231 Likes on 808 Posts
Lets reign it in guys and stay on topic please.

Oddly, of the five new F-150's that my local dealer has, none of them are 2.7L equipped.

Old 01-21-2015, 02:00 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
I'm looking forward to hearing what people get for mileage with the 2.7. I hope it's as good as the EPA numbers.

Quick Reply: Question of the Week: Which 2015 Ford F150 Engine Would You Pick?