6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Turbo Noise - And Ford Says....

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 11:27 PM
RobFlag
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Turbo Noise - And Ford Says....

During the last two weeks or so I've noticed a different whine from the Turbo for the first minute or two after starting for the first time of the day. Have almost 36K on truck so took it in to get checked. Left if for a week while I was out of town. Tech says "Yep, sounds weird but I drove it and it seems fine. If anything is wrong, it's your tuner that caused it". Ok, I explain that I DON'T have a tuner, it's a Edge CTS which only monitors performance spec's. He says, well, that must be the cause. Lengthy conversation, same result. Now my trucks service record says it's got a tuner. The Service Desk lady told me so. Concerns me a lot since I've got weird turbo noises happening. Since I had the CTS, I checked to see what max boost had previously been. 24 PSI. Reset and did a several full power runs and maxed out at 19 PSI. Previous 0-60 was 8.7. Now it's 9.4.

So, couple questions - 1. Can I request a copy of my trucks service history and dispute an inaccuracies in it? 2. Anyone else have a 2012 F350 Crew SB that also has a CTS willing to share their max boost and 0-60 times? 3. What's the next best step to take on the turbo noise? My wife pulls a 12K Horse Trailer cross country and I don't want it to fail mid trip somewhere.

Sorry for the long post, left out the part about the turn signal LED's that they say are causing my back seat map lights not to work.

Old 07-30-2014, 03:04 AM
Byooty
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford so it seems are the same across the planet.....

My motor blew a spark plug out at 25000Kms and stripped the thread in the head on the way out, ford took it back for repair, when I went to the ford dealer to check on progress I was asked in a condescending way "who has been doing your services, its because of them that the plug has spat out"

"Why Sir, you have been doing the services and you have stamped the service book as such."

They will try anything to save a buck.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:01 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Sorry to hear of your troubles, it sounds like you need a new dealer.
To answer your questions.

1. No, not really, and there is no significant need unless it comes to a warranty claim and they are refusing to pay based on that - at which point you should get Ford Customer Service involved (Crystal here might be able to help with that should it come to pass).
2. Sadly mines tuned. You will also need someone that is based at similar elevation as I see you are based in Flagstaff, but that number does seem slow.
3. I'd try to find a different dealer.

I think its probably a waste-gate actuator issue. Does it have any codes?

Old 07-30-2014, 11:10 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,201 Likes on 575 Posts
If it was me I wouldn't leave the dealership until that inaccurate info was removed from my record. Work your way up from service manager to owner if necessary. If that didn't work, I'd call Ford as soon as I got home to get a complaint filed. Keep pushing. You may have to go to another dealer in the future, but the dealer that noted the tuner should be the one to remove it for your records.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:50 PM
BlackBeest
More Turbo
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
If it was me I wouldn't leave the dealership until that inaccurate info was removed from my record. Work your way up from service manager to owner if necessary. If that didn't work, I'd call Ford as soon as I got home to get a complaint filed. Keep pushing. You may have to go to another dealer in the future, but the dealer that noted the tuner should be the one to remove it for your records.
My sentiments exactly, OP.

You need to familiarize yourself with the statute set in the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act. Some random idiot working at a "dealer" that sounds totally unfamiliar with monitors has no legal grounds to black flag your $60,000 vehicle as "warranty denied" because he still falls for the old "metric crescent wrench" gag....

How can they even state that the "tuner" somehow is causing the turbo to make noise and underboost? Don't we all want our tuners to turn up the psi? Some people...

Old 07-30-2014, 02:56 PM
RobFlag
Senior User
I'm going to the dealer to talk to the service manager later today. Should be interesting. As a minimum, they need to remove the "tuner" info from my record. I'm hoping that they can run some kind of max boost pressure test to see what my Edge CTS is showing. I doubt they would accept the data from the CTS.

Old 07-30-2014, 04:43 PM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ask you service manager to run and print off an Oasis Report for you. It will show the service history and recall history of your truck based off of the trucks VIN. Keep in mind that it will only show service information performed and noted at a Ford dealership.

This is the reason that I installed a simple ScanGaugeII rather than a CTS Monitor. The CTS simple looks too much like a tuner and monitor combination.

Old 07-30-2014, 04:53 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
There is a system test that the diesel tech can initiate with his IDS laptop. It cycles all the actuators and runs the turbo through its full range of motion, and much more I'm sure. I've seen it done on my truck.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:01 PM
rtazz17
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jonrjen
Ask you service manager to run and print off an Oasis Report for you. It will show the service history and recall history of your truck based off of the trucks VIN. Keep in mind that it will only show service information performed and noted at a Ford dealership.

This is the reason that I installed a simple ScanGaugeII rather than a CTS Monitor. The CTS simple looks too much like a tuner and monitor combination.
Cts can simply be unplugged and removed.I wouldve done that to start with.I realize the OP is in the right but if you remove it prior to getting service some unknoledgeable tech wont accuse you of something you didnt do.

Now beyond that isnt there a code thrown that can never be removed once you tune? Thought that was how people were getting " busted" for having tuners by dealers?

Old 07-30-2014, 08:00 PM
Jus2shy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Basically, there should be some sort of checksum/flag that the tech can run to see if you have indeed ran a tune or re-flashed your PCM. If that has never happened, they're basically up the creek and can't prove a tune was ever on your vehicle. It sounds like the CTS just monitors OBD-II outputs, which doesn't involve flashing or calibrating your PCM, so you should be good and the dealer could get its *** handed to them by Ford.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:10 PM
rtazz17
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jus2shy
Basically, there should be some sort of checksum/flag that the tech can run to see if you have indeed ran a tune or re-flashed your PCM. If that has never happened, they're basically up the creek and can't prove a tune was ever on your vehicle. It sounds like the CTS just monitors OBD-II outputs, which doesn't involve flashing or calibrating your PCM, so you should be good and the dealer could get its *** handed to them by Ford.
Thats what I thought.So the OP should have no issues resolving this.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:26 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,201 Likes on 575 Posts
Not only does it look like a tuner, but Edge does make a tuner that looks like the Insight. Clarifying the model you have should be the key...

Old 07-31-2014, 06:46 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
I wouldn't worry about that. I don't think you have any legal right to amend communication between your dealer and Ford, and I wouldn't worry about the testimony of an uninformed technician. Your CTS isn't a tuner, and that much can be proven.

Find a dealer that can figure out your issue and let them sort it out.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:48 PM
RobFlag
Senior User
Well, visited the dealer. Only one service writer on duty and he had very little time/patience to talk. Did convince him to print an OASIS report. Not sure if the one page he gave me is the whole thing or not but it no longer reflects anything about a tuner.

I informed him of the significant drops in boost and 0-60 times and asked if that can be factored into a diagnosis. He said it was due to Turbo Lag. Yes, I know, its NOT. Only choice is to bring it back and let them listen to it again. Not sure how that will be any different than the first time the had it.

If there were another dealer within 50 miles, I'd be taking it to them but for the time being, I'm going to give this one another shot.

If anyone can tell me what the test that RUCHEJJ is talking about is, I'll be sure to make that suggestion. Thanks!

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Oasis Rpt 30 Jul 14a.pdf (46.4 KB, 643 views)
Old 07-31-2014, 10:03 PM
pstroke67
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by RobFlag
Well, visited the dealer. Only one service writer on duty and he had very little time/patience to talk. Did convince him to print an OASIS report. Not sure if the one page he gave me is the whole thing or not but it no longer reflects anything about a tuner.

I informed him of the significant drops in boost and 0-60 times and asked if that can be factored into a diagnosis. He said it was due to Turbo Lag. Yes, I know, its NOT. Only choice is to bring it back and let them listen to it again. Not sure how that will be any different than the first time the had it.

If there were another dealer within 50 miles, I'd be taking it to them but for the time being, I'm going to give this one another shot.

If anyone can tell me what the test that RUCHEJJ is talking about is, I'll be sure to make that suggestion. Thanks!
Ruchejjj is talking bout ids scan tool that ford has I use everyday there two test koeo key on engine off test which pcm basically test it's inputs and outputs and see if operating correctly and second is koer key on engine running test which pcm test it's inputs and outputs while the vehicle is running those test are good but sometimes does not always really show failure
As for noise is it possible if you can record noise and upload here so I can possibly hear it so I can get idea I've had some sound like a siren from ambulance on cold start ups then diminish when hot and usually bearings in turbo getting ready to fail also had some make a turbo flutter sound which there tsb pcm flash to fix it and have same flutter noise when truck is regeneration and is caused by exhaust valves not seating causing exhaust pulsation to enter turbo cause those sounds and usually hear metal snapping sound and makes engine feel like it's missing

Quick Reply: Turbo Noise - And Ford Says....