Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions needed on a HARD decision...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 12:55 AM
kegomatix
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm with krooser, $500 runner that gets you from A to B. Doesn't have to be pretty. If you have any mechanical know how a cheap beater will cost you less in repairs than a monthly payment would be for a new car. I'm in the same situation right now, both of my commuters (my truck and my Z) are V8 gas engines. Killing the wallet, so it's time to find a cheap gas saver.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:03 AM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm never going to advocate selling your Ford for as long as you like/need it. There may be a day when it doesn't fit your life anymore and you should prepare for that, but money aside does it. I think this is the more important question. Money aside what kind of vehicle fits your life? I know you have a history and involvement with this truck, and it's one heck of a nice truck. But does a regular cab short box pickup work well for you? You must ask this question first.

For example if you don't know where you're going to be living, are young, and broke enough to post this question then maybe you need a van, suv or a long bed with a slide in camper.

Originally Posted by Evan_P
.... my truck only manages 9-10 MPG..
I remember you mentioning this before and what you've done to try and solve it. Maybe you should start here?

It sounds like you have some time, maybe to start with put it up for sale for a very high price and look for very high offers while working it out.

Seems like a job closer to school is an ideal step in the right direction.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:21 AM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
To keep my truck in college (after I blew the engine up! ) I bought a 700$ mazda 626. It ran, did what I need to do and got good gas mileage. I had a similar situation where the job was in the opposite direction than the College. It worked for me. If you have mechanical know how, take your time and find something, not pretty, 4 cylinder, front wheel drive, typically. You should be able to park your truck for a short time, and drop insurance on it. I know here your supposed to turn your tags in when you do that, but until i'm ready to re-tag the vehicle I usually don't. That allows me to park on the street. Where ever you end up living, should have an extra parking spot.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:41 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 988 Likes on 780 Posts
Originally Posted by Evan_P
Not too bad until you realize my truck only manages 9-10 MPG...
How is that possible at a steady highway speed? I'm all for using a fuel efficient car for commuting longer distances but it's only cost effective if you already own it since it takes a very long time to recoup the added purchase and insurance costs. I know we have been over your fuel consumption issue before but there has to be something wrong with the truck because it should manage 15-18mpg at a steady 65-70mph.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:46 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 69 Likes on 68 Posts
Insurance companies get squirrelly with "breaks" in coverage or whatever they call them and charge an arm and a leg to re-instate coverage, if they'll do it at all. 21 years old already pays top rates, try not to do anything to make it worse. Don't let your insurance lapse.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Old 07-24-2014, 09:22 AM
Phil Woolfson
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What you have is always going to be cheaper than what you don't. You know your truck inside and out, if you replace it with something else just because it's "cheap", what makes you think you won't be spending as much in parts for it, as you're spending for gas now? And you need time to study. Anything you are getting cheap is being sold for a reason. And I know you're not contemplating a new car - the payments alone... I thought about trading mine once for about 5 minutes. As soon as I saw the salesman driving my truck around to appraise it, I was like, hold on I'm not letting go of my truck, period. He came back, insulted me with a price whereupon I took my keys back and have never considered selling or trading ever again.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:14 AM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know you probably are an only kid but I will go ahead and say this.

When my F150 went down and my brothers 91 F250 needed a bit more work then we had figured I had picked up a 94 Explorer 4x4 4.0L extremely cheap and on payments to help me out on purchasing it. Between me using it, my dad using it, and soon my brother to be using it the explorer is paying for itself (even with the repairs I have been forced to do) helping me out getting around and with the cheaper insurance, better fuel mileage I probably will keep it for a good gas mileage vehicle when I can't ride my Harley. It will also keep damage off from ruining the straight body my truck has.

I would search craigslist for a cheap or free beater. Heck me and my dad picked up our 87 E350 motorhome for free on craigslist and all we had to do was a tune up, solder a wire, and drive it a bit.
Trav

Old 07-24-2014, 10:43 AM
mefast
Senior User
A hard decision for sure, but take your time on it. Since you're going into an auto program, would there be any place there to store it or perhaps work on it to improve the fuel economy? I know that's more of a high school thing versus post-secondary, but it might be worth asking around about it.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:38 PM
Evan_P
Cargo Master
Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Conanski
How is that possible at a steady highway speed? I'm all for using a fuel efficient car for commuting longer distances but it's only cost effective if you already own it since it takes a very long time to recoup the added purchase and insurance costs. I know we have been over your fuel consumption issue before but there has to be something wrong with the truck because it should manage 15-18mpg at a steady 65-70mph.
I agree there is something wrong, I just can't figure out what that is. It has no codes stored, the plugs are new, wires, cap and rotor have less than 10k on them, timing is set at 12*, fuel injectors were cleaned and rebuilt less than 5k ago, it isn't transferring fuel between the tanks. It generally runs pretty good, it just guzzles gas. And that 10 mpg is when I am cruising at 60 mph...

Old 07-24-2014, 12:54 PM
GoinBoarding
Cargo Master
Received 164 Likes on 131 Posts
Find some 235/75R15 tires and try those on your truck. Bald, used, whatever, just use it as a troubleshoot. If it works, pick up some low end small tires for ~$400. Sure, they'll look stupid, but if it nets you 16mpg why the heck does it matter? You're running 33x12.5R15 with 3.55 rear end, I bet that truck just lugs like a SOB and holds the injectors open for a long time. Maybe that's not the issue, but I wouldn't expect over 12mpg with those meats on there and that gearing.

Another thing to consider, my liability only insurance through Gieco costs me $140/6months. So if insurance is "too expensive", try dropping some coverage on the truck down and shop around. My policy isn't even the bare minimum. Bad credit & bad driving record jack insurance way up, so maybe this can't be remedied quickly. But look into it.

How long is the program?

Old 07-24-2014, 01:05 PM
Puddy
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Store it. Or sell parts off it. And just get them later.
Here's somethin
92 honda civic

Old 07-24-2014, 01:08 PM
Evan_P
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by GoinBoarding
Find some 235/75R15 tires and try those on your truck. Bald, used, whatever, just use it as a troubleshoot. If it works, pick up some low end small tires for ~$400. Sure, they'll look stupid, but if it nets you 16mpg why the heck does it matter? You're running 33x12.5R15 with 3.55 rear end, I bet that truck just lugs like a SOB and holds the injectors open for a long time. Maybe that's not the issue, but I wouldn't expect over 12mpg with those meats on there and that gearing.

Another thing to consider, my liability only insurance through Gieco costs me $140/6months. So if insurance is "too expensive", try dropping some coverage on the truck down and shop around. My policy isn't even the bare minimum. Bad credit & bad driving record jack insurance way up, so maybe this can't be remedied quickly. But look into it.

How long is the program?
I might look into that. I don't care if it looks dumb, just if it helps mileage. My insurance is right at $100 a month. That's liability only, on my parents policy. I have no tickets, accidents or anything that would negatively effect my insurance either. And the program is a two year program.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:03 PM
Evan_P
Cargo Master
Well you sparked my curiosity on the insurance. I am paying WAY to much right now. I just got a quote for half what I am paying for the same coverage through Progressive. Geico is even lower...

Old 07-24-2014, 02:06 PM
damarble
Elder User
Since you're on your parents policy and I assume they have other vehicles, dropping yours to store it shouldn't raise the rates, especially if you replace it with another car. It sounds like moving to another company on your own may work out better anyway.

$500 beater is where it's at. I've bought many over the years and they've always lasted long enough to pay for themselves.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:09 PM
xrsfsho
Senior User
Take the truck and use a bike. Kind of a pita, but worth it for the love of the truck. Saves gas riding a bike. And you only drive it when absolutely needed.

Quick Reply: Opinions needed on a HARD decision...