1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

There's one less Camper Special out there now

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 09:48 PM
Thipdar
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 351Cleveland C4
Just grab every good part you can off of it. Don't let it all go because it will probably end up crushed.

Glad your ok, and am amazed at the severity of the damage.

The car behind was going faster than 50 i think. Probably 65. My uncle go rear-ended in his brand new ram 3500. He had his big trailer hitch on so that's what saved the truck.
I was wishing I could keep a lot of it, but if I could wish like that, I'd have wished to avoid the accident entirely.

I'll keep the things that I can use immediately on the other truck, but I'm not going to open a Truck Memorial Shrine. Got enough clutter around here as it is.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:53 PM
Thipdar
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by arctic y block
Damn Man so sorry for your truck. Do go and get checked out. From
experience I will tell ya that if ya don't it could well come back and bite ya.
I am 14 years still going through surgerys and if I had went in right after the accident It wouldn't be costing me everything I ever had to just keep walking. I thought I was fine. A little sore but okay. Than my arms and legs started to shut down a few months later and found I had broke my
back and neck. Go see a damn Dr.
I'll keep that in mind.

Close to 60 now, and I've never had a broken bone.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:19 PM
Thipdar
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by first today
Arm yourself with a vintage car appraisal guide. You will get much more than you
Think. Most of the appraisers are not informed on these old classics. Also use dennis carpenter catalog to show replacement part costs.
Glad you were not seriously injured. Been there, got the badges.

Good luck.
It was just a couple of years ago that I set up the insurance for this truck's twin. When my insurance agent asked me what the truck was worth, I told her "Well, I've got receipts that total around $12,000..." She looked VERY thoughtful for a moment. Lots of folks look at an old truck and think "what a piece of junk!", without realizing that the truck has had a lot of money and time put into it.

What the insurance company can't compensate me for is the 40+ year relationship I had with this truck. Nor can they compensate my son, who had visions of using this truck to teach his son how to drive a stick, and saying things like "My granddad used to drive this truck". They can't put a dollar value on that.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:16 PM
firegoat
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, I'm glad you're ok. That really, really sucks.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:46 AM
carchub
Tuned
I'm sorry for your loss. I know what a vehicle means to one's self. I feel for you man. Just keep on going though, this too shall pass. I find it is easier for me to make the best of reality than to think over the past. I know it sucks but long goodbyes are not fun

Old 07-23-2014, 10:58 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Really sucks to hear about this. I hate Bay Area traffic and prefer to avoid driving down there, but sometimes there's just no getting around it and I have to. Twice last week, in fact. And I know exactly the stretch of I-80 you're talking about, I've had some close calls there.

Looking at the pics, it's definitely got some wrinkles but if it has that much sentimental value to you, I'd consider fixing it. Yes, it would be a lot of work and you'd be replacing quite a bit of the truck but I see a lot of usable parts there that would have you feeling that's essentially the same truck when you were finished. I'm sure some local FTE members would be willing to lend a hand.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:11 AM
quinletc
Senior User
Glad to hear you're OK. Sorry about the truck. I've only owned one for a week, but I'd hate to lose it.

Now, if you happen to get the steering wheel...

Old 07-23-2014, 11:35 AM
carchub
Tuned
Not even kidding, I had bad dreams about my own truck last night because I read this. A little reality check for me, I definitely have learned from this

Old 07-23-2014, 11:56 AM
fe390pc
Logistics Pro
Received 190 Likes on 174 Posts
I hate to say this, but make sure the insurance company knows you were hit from behind and pushed into the truck in front of you. You have to stress you were in control of your vehicle at all times and the vehicle in the rear caused the damage. That guy is going to be held responsible so his insurance will be paying you not yours.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:20 PM
Thipdar
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by carchub
I'm sorry for your loss. I know what a vehicle means to one's self. I feel for you man. Just keep on going though, this too shall pass. I find it is easier for me to make the best of reality than to think over the past. I know it sucks but long goodbyes are not fun
Playing "Shouldda, couldda, wouldda" is usually a waste of energy.

(But it's really tempting)

Old 07-23-2014, 01:23 PM
Thipdar
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by TigerDan
Looking at the pics, it's definitely got some wrinkles but if it has that much sentimental value to you, I'd consider fixing it. Yes, it would be a lot of work and you'd be replacing quite a bit of the truck but I see a lot of usable parts there that would have you feeling that's essentially the same truck when you were finished. I'm sure some local FTE members would be willing to lend a hand.
If I had the shop space and the nickles, I'd consider it. As it is, it's probably best to let it go. I'v already got too much clutter in my garage.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:27 PM
Thipdar
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by fe390pc
I hate to say this, but make sure the insurance company knows you were hit from behind and pushed into the truck in front of you. You have to stress you were in control of your vehicle at all times and the vehicle in the rear caused the damage. That guy is going to be held responsible so his insurance will be paying you not yours.
They have a clear picture of the crash sequence, including that both of the trucks were stopped when I was hit.

I'm not sure it matters. California has (or used to have) "No Fault" insurance laws.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:38 PM
Thipdar
Laughing Gas
For those of you that have expressed concern, I thank you.

For those of you that have urged me to go to a hospital and get checked out, please know that I have an appointment at Kaiser this afternoon. It was my Chiropracter that convinced me to go. I believe I have minor injuries, but as he put it, "it wouldn't hurt to document those injuries you did get". I tried to get my wife to check me out, but she just rolled her eyes .

Got a short list of things I want from the truck: the mirrors, the instrument cluster & the bench seat. I'd like the rims, but I do not believe it is safe to remove them without something like a hoist to lift the bed off the rear axles. It just wouldn't do to get crushed while trying to save $550 in new tires that may be damaged anyhow. My stepfather was crushed under a car, and I don't want to emulate him that way.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:45 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by Thipdar
For those of you that have expressed concern, I thank you.

For those of you that have urged me to go to a hospital and get checked out, please know that I have an appointment at Kaiser this afternoon. It was my Chiropracter that convinced me to go. I believe I have minor injuries, but as he put it, "it wouldn't hurt to document those injuries you did get". I tried to get my wife to check me out, but she just rolled her eyes .

Got a short list of things I want from the truck: the mirrors, the instrument cluster & the bench seat. I'd like the rims, but I do not believe it is safe to remove them without something like a hoist to lift the bed off the rear axles. It just wouldn't do to get crushed while trying to save $550 in new tires that may be damaged anyhow. My stepfather was crushed under a car, and I don't want to emulate him that way.
Whatever you grab get it quick. Right now YOU own it. Once the insurance co. gets it you can't get to it anymore.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:51 PM
quinletc
Senior User
Originally Posted by Thipdar
I tried to get my wife to check me out, but she just rolled her eyes .
Ha!

Your chiro is correct. I used to handle a fair number of car wreck cases (not in California), and you definitely want to get seen and evaluated. Something could come up later, and you want to be able to show the connection, if necessary.

Here's hoping it's just precautionary, and you never need to look at those medical records ever again.

Quick Reply: There's one less Camper Special out there now