Sponsored by:

2001 V10 Cruise Control Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 11:55 PM
kirbinator13
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 V10 Cruise Control Not Working

Hi everyone, as the title says, I have a cruise control issue. I did do some research on this issue before posting. I tried the self diagnostics test, and the "cruise" light would not come on. (Also read that 2001 did not have a self test, so maybe that's why it didn't work? Also, when I first start it, all the other lights turn on except for cruise.) I checked the brake master cylinder and it has the double fuse wiring with 2 good fuses. Not quite sure what else to test. I just bought the X knowing it had this problem, but didn't know how much I would miss cruise control until driving without for a week. Thank you for your help.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:03 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 874 Likes on 726 Posts
Go back and check the switch (and harness) on the master cylinder for continuity.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:19 AM
justonv
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also, check the cable where it hooks up on your throttle body. That's what my cruise issue turned out to be when I got my ex. Just happened to find it unhooked one day after I got it while trying to check out my engine compartment.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:17 PM
kirbinator13
New User
>Thank you for the reply's. I went through the wiring on the master cylinder and unplugged the connector at the cylinder. There was maybe a drop or 2 of fluid when I touched it.
>I unplugged and re-plugged the connector at the throttle body.
>Used the following self test below, and the the "cruise" light came on in the cluster! Now for the bad news. The instructions say that the On, Res, Coast, Set should light "cruise" on each press. Only Off and On have made it light up. Could this be a problem with the Res, Coast, Set buttons or is there a fuse related to those 3 buttons?

"The diagnostic sequence that I was following is listed below (posted by pops_91710 amoung others) I haven't gotten anything to work out of it yet, hopefully you will have better luck.

Try this test:
Diagnosing/Resetting the Cruise-Control operations:

1. fully engage parking brake. Make sure brake peddle is released.

2. Begin static portion of self test by pressing and holding speed control off switch.

3. Turn ignition switch from off to run. The cruise indicator on the instrument cluster will flash once to indicate the speed control module has entered diagnostic mode.

If the cruise indicator does not flash repeat steps 1-3. If the cruise indicator still does not flash, diagnose the cruise indicator.

4. Release the off switch

5. The cruise indicator will flash when each switch is pressed. While performing self test. Press each switch in the order described while observing cruise indicator for a flash. Note any switch activations that does not cause a flash.

Within five seconds of turning the ignition switch to RUN:

Press the on switch.
Press the resume switch.
Press the coast switch.
Press the set/accel switch.

6. NOTE: the on switch must be pressed within five seconds after entering the diagnostics mode or the speed control module will return to normal operating state and self-test must be repeated.

Flash Code Function Tested Possible Cause
0 Speed Control Servo Speed Control Servo Defective
1 Complete System
2 Stop Light Switch Circuitry Stop Light Switch Circuitry
3 Brake Deactivation Circuitry Brake pressure control
valve defective circuitry
4 Vehicle speed sensor Vehicle Speed Sensor Out of
range
5 Speed Control Servo Speed Control servo defective"

Old 07-23-2014, 09:37 PM
kirbinator13
New User
Update to cruise control issue.
I went to the junkyard and picked up new on/off//res/set/coast switch that goes on the left and right side of the steering wheel. I proceeded to uninstall the air bag and popped out the on/off switch. There was a bunch of crappy wiring that the previous owner had done. I'm thinking this must've been the problem. Install new switches and put together the air bag. Took all of 10 minutes to do. Did not change any fuses, mess with any wires at the master cylinder or the throttle body cable, just swap switches. Go for a test drive and holy *****, I have cruise control working perfectly.

Of course there is always something with my luck and it decides to stop working 2 hours afterwards. When the headlights were on, the buttons were glowing, but for whatever reason, it all of the sudden stopped. Anyone have any idea on what is going on?

Old 07-24-2014, 01:20 PM
jpr38057
Elder User
Check that previous wiring job to make sure there is not a bare wire somewhere that is grounding out.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:30 AM
kirbinator13
New User
Finally have it figured out! The connection at the master cylinder required a few squirts of WD-40. Working now. Thank you everyone for your help.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:42 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
The switch on the master cylinder has nothing to do with the illumination of the buttons on the wheel. Illumination is provided by the same circuit as all the rest of the instrument panel. If the rest of the IP is properly illuminated but the buttons on the wheel are not, your JY switch assy or the clock spring would be the likely suspects.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:09 AM
kirbinator13
New User
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
The switch on the master cylinder has nothing to do with the illumination of the buttons on the wheel. Illumination is provided by the same circuit as all the rest of the instrument panel. If the rest of the IP is properly illuminated but the buttons on the wheel are not, your JY switch assy or the clock spring would be the likely suspects.
Thank you for the information on the relationships between lighting and master cylinder switch. I was trying to give as much information that I knew at the time to give the reader an idea of what was going on. I'm just happy that it's fixed for $35. Who knows how much the stealership would have charged.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:29 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Way, way more.

I would not have considered that your issue was due to a PO's wiring hack job as a very likely probability. I (or anyone else troubleshooting the system based on the manual), would have eventually found the problem when the procedure called for checking or replacing those switches.

BTW, do you have a "Cruise" light now and can you run the self test?

Old 07-25-2014, 12:11 PM
kirbinator13
New User
The cruise test will not work for me. I did read that it doesn't work for the 2000-2001 models. I think I need a new connector at the master brake cylinder. It is leaking brake fluid into the switch. Will the brake fluid need to be drained out of the reservoir when removing the old/installing the new one?

Old 07-25-2014, 01:51 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Nope. There's a Schrader valve under the switch.

Old 07-25-2014, 03:43 PM
kirbinator13
New User
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
Nope. There's a Schrader valve under the switch.
Thank you! Just found the part SW-6350 for $16.05 shipped on eBay. The local dealership wanted $27. I'm patient, it'll be here Tuesday.

Old 11-16-2018, 11:57 AM
stbird
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kirbinator13
>Thank you for the reply's. I went through the wiring on the master cylinder and unplugged the connector at the cylinder. There was maybe a drop or 2 of fluid when I touched it.
>I unplugged and re-plugged the connector at the throttle body.
>Used the following self test below, and the the "cruise" light came on in the cluster! Now for the bad news. The instructions say that the On, Res, Coast, Set should light "cruise" on each press. Only Off and On have made it light up. Could this be a problem with the Res, Coast, Set buttons or is there a fuse related to those 3 buttons?

"The diagnostic sequence that I was following is listed below (posted by pops_91710 amoung others) I haven't gotten anything to work out of it yet, hopefully you will have better luck.

Try this test:
Diagnosing/Resetting the Cruise-Control operations:

1. fully engage parking brake. Make sure brake peddle is released.

2. Begin static portion of self test by pressing and holding speed control off switch.

3. Turn ignition switch from off to run. The cruise indicator on the instrument cluster will flash once to indicate the speed control module has entered diagnostic mode.

If the cruise indicator does not flash repeat steps 1-3. If the cruise indicator still does not flash, diagnose the cruise indicator.

4. Release the off switch

5. The cruise indicator will flash when each switch is pressed. While performing self test. Press each switch in the order described while observing cruise indicator for a flash. Note any switch activations that does not cause a flash.

Within five seconds of turning the ignition switch to RUN:

Press the on switch.
Press the resume switch.
Press the coast switch.
Press the set/accel switch.

6. NOTE: the on switch must be pressed within five seconds after entering the diagnostics mode or the speed control module will return to normal operating state and self-test must be repeated.

Flash Code Function Tested Possible Cause
0 Speed Control Servo Speed Control Servo Defective
1 Complete System
2 Stop Light Switch Circuitry Stop Light Switch Circuitry
3 Brake Deactivation Circuitry Brake pressure control
valve defective circuitry
4 Vehicle speed sensor Vehicle Speed Sensor Out of
range
5 Speed Control Servo Speed Control servo defective"
I did the test on my 2001 F250 and am not getting any additional flashes at the end so I'm assuming 0 flashes is speed control servo defective. Why are 0 flashes and 5 flashes the same problem? Is the speed control servo hard to find and/or replace?

Thanks, Steve

Old 11-16-2018, 01:18 PM
01FordEx
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
following this thread...I have an 01' Excursion with no cruise or horn function. I have replaced the clock spring and the recall was done on the brake switch. Unfamiliar with the speed control servo and would pursue that option with more info.

Quick Reply: 2001 V10 Cruise Control Not Working