Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Floor or column dimmer?
Floor
59.38%
Column
40.63%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Floor or column headlight dimmer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 09:21 PM
SteelHorse4x4
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My father in law told a story about picking up one of his friends who had just returned from the Berlin Air Lift after WWII. His buddy, a pilot, wanted to drive. On their way home he came up on a stopped car and started jerking on the steering wheel yelling "Climb You Basterd, Climb" just as they slammed into the stopped car. He would always get a kick out of that, even though it was his car. LOL

Old 07-15-2014, 10:42 PM
damarble
Elder User
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
Agreed with all the above and when shutting it gets to be a pain.

if it was on the floor, I would leave it. I would NOT move it
That seems a little contradictory?

I've figured out a way to make it look and perform like factory using a Explorer column, it bolts in. I'm just tracing out the wiring now, and most of it crosses over.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:18 AM
firegod75
Senior User
Originally Posted by damarble
I posted on FB about a mod I was doing to get my dimmer switch off the floor and was shocked by how many people said I was nuts to do it. What does this forum think, is the floor or the column a better spot?
That was you!!! Wow that was a big thing on FB about it. I love my floor dimmer it feels so convinet. My brother wish he had it in his truck.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:46 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
That seems a little contradictory?

I've figured out a way to make it look and perform like factory using a Explorer column, it bolts in. I'm just tracing out the wiring now, and most of it crosses over.
What I mean is, even as much as a pain that the floor switch is, it is MUCH more effort to swap steering columns and integrate harnesses

Old 07-16-2014, 10:45 AM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I personally driven both floor switch and column dimmers and frankly I like the floor switch better. I transition regularly from a floor dimmer to a column dimmer and I only have problems with the one in my 87 Ford E350 and that is because of the weird spot it has. Other then that the column dimmers just feel to me like they might break each time I push it or pull it back.

The only thing I like about column dimmers is that I can turn my brights on for a second or a few while out driving on trails when I don't want my brights to stay on a long time. All I have to do is pull it towards me and I have brights for a few seconds that I want it then let off and they turn off.
Trav

Old 07-16-2014, 11:34 AM
Phil Woolfson
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What ever happened to the spark advance lever?

Old 07-16-2014, 12:47 PM
lmd91343
Senior User
Originally Posted by Phil Woolfson
What ever happened to the spark advance lever?
Did you store the starter hand crank under the seat?

Old 07-16-2014, 12:56 PM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sadly with the amount of "idiots" driving around during the day with their bright lights on, I was blaming it on them constantly hitting the turn signal switch and turning them on. Not that most USE their turn signals, but must bump it with their hand and click the brights on.

With it on the floor, like back in the day, they would rust up and not work or stick on low or high beam or neither! At least back then the headlights weren't so freak'n blasted bright. With as bright as low beams are currently I'm surprised they even make a high beam option. I just don't get it............and don't get me started on those rediculous "blue" headlights that everyone buys. Ugh.

I think we should go back to 6v sealed beams!! It will go well with the hand crank!

Old 07-16-2014, 02:07 PM
Crewcabber
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lmd91343
Did you store the starter hand crank under the seat?
Next to the dual purpose (fuel gauge and siphon)chunk of hose.

I did this in my street buggy only because well, I wanted to I took it from the column and put it back down on the firewall.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:20 PM
damarble
Elder User
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
What I mean is, even as much as a pain that the floor switch is, it is MUCH more effort to swap steering columns and integrate harnesses
I can get behind that line of reasoning but we do a lot of other difficult mods to improve our trucks, I don't see this as the one to draw the line at. The Explorer column bolts in like stock, the turn signal/hazard wires are all the same color, 2 out of 3 of the dimmer wires are. The only thing that doesn't match is the wiper switch.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:45 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
I can get behind that line of reasoning but we do a lot of other difficult mods to improve our trucks, I don't see this as the one to draw the line at. The Explorer column bolts in like stock, the turn signal/hazard wires are all the same color, 2 out of 3 of the dimmer wires are. The only thing that doesn't match is the wiper switch.
And the plug

Old 07-16-2014, 04:54 PM
damarble
Elder User
Right, all the plugs are different. A little solder and heatshrink should take care of that.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:30 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Right, all the plugs are different. A little solder and heatshrink should take care of that.
Seriously? WHY would you do something like that?

Take the plug apart and put the right end on it

Old 07-16-2014, 05:32 PM
damarble
Elder User
I guess that's an option. Some wires will need to be extended so I figured splices were the best way.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:41 AM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,730 Likes on 1,328 Posts
Originally Posted by flyhound
Floor! Keeps both hand on wheel. Easy part to replace if needed. Plus when I hit my dimmer on other vehicles half the time I also turn the turn signal on or turn my wipers on when I don't want to.
This!

I hate column dimmers. And I've never had ANY of the "problems" you guys have had with floor dimmers.

I'm about to put a floor dimmer in my '07 Ram. I have the switch...I just have to figure out the wiring. It will go well with my crank windows, manual door locks, vinyl floor, and bench seat

Quick Reply: Floor or column headlight dimmer?