6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Planning

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 07:56 AM
Dascro58
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Based on the helpful input, and to be on the conservative side, since my trailer is lighter than most on here I'll plan on fuel stops every 170 to 180 miles. That should allow for unplanned things such as head winds, long steep hills, etc. And it works out time-wise to when everyone is about ready for a bathroom break anyhow. So all's good on that front.

I did get the weather maps to work on the console based on the input here too. Thanks again!!

Dave

Old 07-15-2014, 08:38 AM
U235Fishin'
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tow an Arctic Fox 25' travel trailer at about 8500 lbs at 65 mph on the interstates. I use 22 gallons of usable fuel volume in the tank and an assumed 10 mpg, to be conservative, for my fuel logistics. My actual mileage is about 11-12 mpg with no big winds. I have tracked my displayed mpg as compared to calculated mpg since I purchased the truck. Displayed mpg is about 0.5-0.7 mpg higher (more optimistic) than calculated mpg. As a double check, I also track displayed gallons used (trip A) as compared to gallons added on a fill up. The displayed gallons used is always about 0.5 to 0.8 gallons less than the fill up volume. In the west we typically have relatively large distances between fuel stations .... 30-50 miles or more. So this fact shortens your range considerably to make certain not to run out of fuel. I carry a 5 gallon jug of fuel also!

Old 07-15-2014, 08:44 AM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
You can plan it that way which is good, but you can always modify your plans based on what you are actually getting. I plan out trips and stops, but I am also very flexible too. I check the weather (often) and I have made many a route change based on not wanting to drive through nasty storms. I don't need any more bad weather driving experience. I have also found that at different times my fuel mileage can vary widely.

When I stop, I typically try to find a place to top off, even if all I need is 5 gals. That way I also have the ability to keep on trucking longer. (This has happened before as someone in the car needs to stop right after we just stopped - usually after just having eaten at the previous stop) This is especially good for you to do, since you only have a 26 gal tank. Since I bring extra fuel, when we stop at a rest area, I generally top the tank off there as well... I do this so if I can skip a stop and make some time I have the fuel to do it. Just sharing our trip taking philosophy, take it or leave it.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:41 PM
raptor131
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dascro58
I've always found the people on this forum so helpful and this post proves it again.

Thank you all. The replies here are very helpful.

I've been towing campers of this size for about 5 years now and usually hang at 62 mph due to that being the sweet spot for my old gas engine truck and the ST tire ratings. I won't go above 65 mph now simply because of the ST tires.

Dave
Wise words, I tried going above that and could see the trailer tire getting destroyed, ie cupping.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:16 PM
Leonandlisa
Tuned
Originally Posted by wingedone
We do. We also know that ST tires are rated for 65. OP should keep that in mind.

Averaging 63 mph on highways, 9-12 depending on wind and hills. Prefer the side roads and the higher mpg.
I have "G" rated LT tires on my trailer, got tired of the cheap unreliable ST tires. I have had no problems with these so far. Knock on wood!

If I was retired maybe I wouldn't mind slowing down, but the little time I get off I don't want to spend it driving

Not encouraging anything unsafe, my tires are rated for more weight then I have and for more faster speeds then I drive. I always keep plenty of distance so I have room to stop, and if traffic is busy I slow it down. When you get to Wyoming though you don't deal with much traffic.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:17 PM
Ken03KBGTvert
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
We are leaving this friday on a 6000 mile cross country trip. Can someone tell me why y'all are refueling every 170-180 miles? I've only towed the tt one time so far with the new truck, and it was only 150+/- miles round trip. But I still had half a tank when we got home. Why would I refuel then?

I was "planning" on stopping once between fillups to stretch or use the bathroom, there will be five of us in the truck. But I was hoping for 350-400 miles out of a tank, not 180.

Am I missing something?
Thanks
Ken

Old 07-15-2014, 06:20 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken03KBGTvert
We are leaving this friday on a 6000 mile cross country trip. Can someone tell me why y'all are refueling every 170-180 miles? I've only towed the tt one time so far with the new truck, and it was only 150+/- miles round trip. But I still had half a tank when we got home. Why would I refuel then?

I was "planning" on stopping once between fillups to stretch or use the bathroom, there will be five of us in the truck. But I was hoping for 350-400 miles out of a tank, not 180.

Am I missing something?
Thanks
Ken
My refuels are around 300 or so..but I don't like to run it down to low on the road in case the only place around is not one that I can get my truck and trailer in.

my 5er is 40'. So truck stops are the only way to go.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:37 PM
wingedone
Tuned
Originally Posted by Leonandlisa
I have "G" rated LT tires on my trailer, got tired of the cheap unreliable ST tires. I have had no problems with these so far. Knock on wood!

If I was retired maybe I wouldn't mind slowing down, but the little time I get off I don't want to spend it driving

Not encouraging anything unsafe, my tires are rated for more weight then I have and for more faster speeds then I drive. I always keep plenty of distance so I have room to stop, and if traffic is busy I slow it down. When you get to Wyoming though you don't deal with much traffic.
G614's?

That's what I run. I couldn't bear the thought of running all those miles out west on the stock ST's. I have read too many people state their ST tires look great then BOOM!

Just wanted the OP, who might not be aware of ST limitations, that they should restrict themselves to 65 mph. Your original post did not mention you upgraded your tires.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:00 PM
raptor131
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Leonandlisa

I agree on the rating of the cheap st tires, but I also think about the fact that trailer tires are not balanced as well, the faster you go with an unbalanced tire the worse the vibration and wear.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:01 PM
Leonandlisa
Tuned
Originally Posted by wingedone
G614's?

That's what I run. I couldn't bear the thought of running all those miles out west on the stock ST's. I have read too many people state their ST tires look great then BOOM!

Just wanted the OP, who might not be aware of ST limitations, that they should restrict themselves to 65 mph. Your original post did not mention you upgraded your tires.
No harm here, I have learned a lot from this forum, and it is from comments like yours that point out something that I didn't think to add to my post, and it was a very important fact.

Thanks

Old 07-15-2014, 09:16 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Dascro58
Just finished reading all of Scott's (scenic) post he referenced above. Great info Scott. Thank you. And it sounds like a fun trip.

But it generated another question, albeit unrelated . How do I get a weather map to display on the console screen of my new truck?
If you have Sirrius, I assume you have the 6 month trial at least, press the "I" icon in lower, center part of the screen, it will give you current, 5 day and a weather map, along with traffic, local fuel prices, sports info......pretty nice actually!

Old 07-15-2014, 09:22 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by RigTrash601
If you have Sirrius, I assume you have the 6 month trial at least, press the "I" icon in lower, center part of the screen, it will give you current, 5 day and a weather map, along with traffic, local fuel prices, sports info......pretty nice actually!
I had let my sub run out. HOWEVER, since I am doing a round trip and a half to Alaska I decided to re-up... $60.20 with taxes and fees, for 5 months including Nav Traffic and Travel Link... I now it doesn't work in AK - but it does work in a lot of Canada.

One of the few radios I have seen with radar on the map and not just a weather forecast. Even my wife's radio in her newer than my truck car doesn't do a weather map.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:27 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Dakster
I had let my sub run out. HOWEVER, since I am doing a round trip and a half to Alaska I decided to re-up... $60.20 with taxes and fees, for 5 months including Nav Traffic and Travel Link... I now it doesn't work in AK - but it does work in a lot of Canada.

One of the few radios I have seen with radar on the map and not just a weather forecast. Even my wife's radio in her newer than my truck car doesn't do a weather map.
I just bit the bullet when I had the 2011 F150 and renew it annually, it (the 2011) had the old Sync system which was nice, nothing compared to the My Ford Touch though, my wife has a 2013 Range Rover Sport, the system is nowhere near as nice as the Ford. I use the travel link a lot more than I ever thought I would. Anyway, I called XM and just swapped my subscription to the New truck.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:10 AM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

Am I missing something?
Thanks
Ken

A lot of the guys that are fueling up at 180 miles are running short bed trucks with the 26 gallon tanks. With the long bed, you should be able to make it much farther down the road.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:48 AM
wingedone
Tuned

Am I missing something?
Thanks
Ken
I generally planned out my western trip on about 300 miles between fillups. Gave a nice cushion. No in-between stops.

Quick Reply: Planning