1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Matching numbers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 01:32 PM
cosmaar1
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Matching numbers?

I know with Chevelles, Mustangs, etc, that matching numbers is a big thing. If your body shell, motor, tranny, and rear end all match, you have something special. I was wondering if the same goes with these old pickup trucks. On a 51 ford f1, the only places I have found on the internet with these vin numbers are the tag inside the glove box and by the steering box on the front frame rail. Are there any other places? if I ever decide to sell (which I probably never will), I would like to know if the motor, tranny, and rear end all belong to this truck.

any thoughts?

Old 07-09-2014, 02:01 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
There weren't any component numbers to match on the 48-52 trucks. I'm a bit hazy on the start point for the practice. Smarter folk will be along shortly.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:23 PM
teardropty
Posting Guru
There wasn't a "numbers matching" system on the Fords you are asking about. The best you can do is see if the motor, etc. is what would have been used in the year/model. As for resale value, the biggest thing that matters is condition and how complete the truck is. Good luck.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:38 PM
cosmaar1
Junior User
Originally Posted by FortyNiner
There weren't any component numbers to match on the 48-52 trucks. I'm a bit hazy on the start point for the practice. Smarter folk will be along shortly.
Originally Posted by teardropty
There wasn't a "numbers matching" system on the Fords you are asking about. The best you can do is see if the motor, etc. is what would have been used in the year/model. As for resale value, the biggest thing that matters is condition and how complete the truck is. Good luck.
I appreciate both your answers. I figured there wasn't such a system, but I thought I would ask anyways in case there is something I was missing.

One last question, I found an article that said Ford started using wood panel beds in 1951. My bed is steel. Does this mean that someone swapped out beds? The fenders and everything looks correct, but could I have a unique 51?

Old 07-09-2014, 03:45 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
Originally Posted by cosmaar1

One last question, I found an article that said Ford started using wood panel beds in 1951. My bed is steel. Does this mean that someone swapped out beds? The fenders and everything looks correct, but could I have a unique 51?
We would need pictures of what you have to determine originality. You could have the stock 51 box with a steel-added floor covering. Or it could have been swapped with an earlier version. Hard to say for sure what you have without seeing it. Bottom line is, for 1951 you should have a box with smooth steel sides and an exposed wood plank floor.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:01 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
The 48-50's had wood under the steel floor. Can you guess why they eliminated the steel??

Old 07-09-2014, 04:16 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
The 48-50's had wood under the steel floor. Can you guess why they eliminated the steel??
So we could build tanks, Jeeps and airplanes?

Old 07-09-2014, 09:11 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Likely because the new bed design was half the money of the earlier version. When you look at the subframe underneath and all the work and materials put into it, the new style was cheap and simple.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:00 PM
cosmaar1
Junior User
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
We would need pictures of what you have to determine originality. You could have the stock 51 box with a steel-added floor covering. Or it could have been swapped with an earlier version. Hard to say for sure what you have without seeing it. Bottom line is, for 1951 you should have a box with smooth steel sides and an exposed wood plank floor.
Sorry for taking so long to respond to you but I finally got a chance to take the truck out and get some pictures of it. Please view my album. I think there are only about 8 pictures or so.

Thanks or your help.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:37 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
That's not a stock bed. Is the bed attached to the sides? What is underneath?

Old 07-12-2014, 10:16 PM
cosmaar1
Junior User
Originally Posted by FortyNiner
That's not a stock bed. Is the bed attached to the sides? What is underneath?
From what I can tell, on both sides there is a steel bar about 1 inch wide that has carriage bolts every foot or so. I would say this is how the steel bed is attached. As far as underneath, nothing. It's all steel. That's why I originally thought my bed was stock until I did a little digging and came on here to ask you guys.

Old 07-13-2014, 12:43 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That's the correct bed except that someone installed the ribbed floor. I bet the wood floor was rotted causing this ribbed floor to be installed.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:55 AM
cosmaar1
Junior User
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
That's the correct bed except that someone installed the ribbed floor. I bet the wood floor was rotted causing this ribbed floor to be installed.
Well that's good news.

One last question though. Does the sheet metal part of the truck all look correct for the truck (fenders, good, etc)? I've read some different posts that people said they had a particular year of truck and someone swapped different fenders on it. I believe myself everything is correct, but then again I thought the bed was original for the past two years until I was told wrong on here!

Old 07-13-2014, 08:37 AM
FP
Elder User
The interior seats arent original. Do you have the original ones?

Old 07-13-2014, 11:36 AM
cosmaar1
Junior User
Originally Posted by FP
The interior seats arent original. Do you have the original ones?
I probably should have stated that's the only thing on the truck I knew wasn't original other than the 12v system I upgraded to in the fall. . I think they might be out of an older mustang.

As far as me having the original ones, no I do not. Honestly I prefer the bucket seats because some day I would like to fabricate a console in the middle of the seats.

Quick Reply: Matching numbers?