Sponsored by: Moser

Need opinions please...

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 05:37 PM
Mickey Bitsko
More Turbo
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Need opinions please...

I'm looking at a 78' f-150 xlt supercab lb 4x4 c6 [owner says] 351w but probably 351m [I don't know how to tell them apart by looking, any help would be good].
128k on the odometer.
Body is straight zero rust. good paint
of course driver side bench seat is ripped but NOT broke down.
He was asking $6000 first time I talked to him I got him down to $5000
taled to him today and he is willing to negotiate.
So, my question is how bad should I beat him up w/o pissing him off?

Also , I know this truck is pretty much stock but has leaf springs up front , never seen that before. I thought all f-150's were coil springs in front...no?

Old 07-04-2014, 06:37 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Supercab 4x4s are leaf spring front.

How much you can haggle price depends on the condition of it, how good a negotiator you are and how much cash you can tempt him with when he's looking at the stack in your hand.

Being in Co the truck could have very little rust or nothing but rust so I would REALLY look it over.

The M series motors have a timing cover "spacer" area that is cast with the block and a sheet metal cover over that, W series has an Aluminum timing cover that is removable. There is a lot more variations but that will be a big difference.

Old 07-04-2014, 06:48 PM
Jklnhyd
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Why worry about pissing him off? If you think you can get a better deal, get him to the ground and put boots to his ribs, ffs.

The way i see it, he doesnt need a truck, he needs money.

Dont be a "good guy" by handing people money, unless you have extra that you dont need.

Show us the pics!!

Old 07-04-2014, 06:57 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Yes, LOTS and LOTS of pictures. Overall, engine compartment, interior, suspension, every angle of the body you can think of both from above and below the truck, drivetrain pics etc etc etc

Old 07-04-2014, 07:00 PM
Mickey Bitsko
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Jklnhyd
Why worry about pissing him off? If you think you can get a better deal, get him to the ground and put boots to his ribs, ffs.

The way i see it, he doesnt need a truck, he needs money.

Dont be a "good guy" by handing people money, unless you have extra that you dont need.

Show us the pics!!
Thanks, I was thinking starting with $2500 and negotiate from there but I know the truck is worth a little more than that, what i'm seeing around colorado for well taken care of 77,78,79, 4x4 no rust blah blah.. 5k- 15k a little crazy, imo.
Takin it for a spin tomorrow i'll post pix IF I get it.

Old 07-04-2014, 07:15 PM
Mickey Bitsko
More Turbo
If it does have a 351W, is it possible it came stock ?

Old 07-04-2014, 07:16 PM
Jklnhyd
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
No offense to anyone here, but a lot of the prices for these trucks are 50% sentiment, 49% "rare truck", and 1% scrap metal.

Thats how i think when i haggle.

And to be honest, i look at it as i am the one keeping the truck, or the part alive instead of junking it. When i buy something, i see them as giving up. So, i deserve a ridiculous price, i deserve it because i am going to improve it. A bit arrogant, yes, but effective.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:11 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Do you have a link to an add so we can get an idea as to the condition?

Old 07-04-2014, 10:44 PM
Mickey Bitsko
More Turbo
Originally Posted by oddfordjunkie
Do you have a link to an add so we can get an idea as to the condition?
I like your handle.. no link , local truck where I live.
I have had 76'77'78' 150's and 250's.. and i know the the condition of this truck is pretty darn good wayy above average. My main concern and concern is a little strong, but,that the old trucks are goin up in value to the right person and I don't want to pay too much and I really don't want to lose the deal.
I sold my 76' 250 4x4 custom good paint, 360, c6 w/kit for $5000 eight years ago and it was a nice truck and I think this one is in better shape. After I drive it will tell the story.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:01 AM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
I have a collection of Fords that are all difficult to get parts for so it seemed fitting.

Prices are going up but that's because people are willing to pay high prices, catch 22.

I paid $800 for my running driving 78 CCSB so the deals are still out there.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:01 AM
buttwheat
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mickey Bitsko
If it does have a 351W, is it possible it came stock ?
No

Old 07-05-2014, 08:36 AM
Mickey Bitsko
More Turbo
Originally Posted by oddfordjunkie
I have a collection of Fords that are all difficult to get parts for so it seemed fitting.

Prices are going up but that's because people are willing to pay high prices, catch 22.

I paid $800 for my running driving 78 CCSB so the deals are still out there.
Yeah.. I guess that could be said for most vehicles...whatever the Market will bear.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:41 AM
march
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Of course it "depends" on a lot of factors. Actual condition, number of trucks in that condition in your area, motivation of the seller, etc. I'll mention that Ford only built the SC 4X4 combo for the last two years of the dentside, so they're a little harder to find.

This one recently went for 6900 on e-bay.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:49 AM
GM4WALLS
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As far as "what it's worth?", I always found that to be subjective. It is only worth what you are willing to pay. One guy may see that truck and be willing to shell out the $6,000 he has burning a hole in his bank account because the truck is exactly like the one his G-pa had. But you may want it for far less. My last two dentside purchase went as follows. The first was my black 78', the guy wanted $2,000 for it, I was willing to go $1,500. After letting him cut his own throat, I got it for $1,200 and drove it home. My green 73' sat for a few days, I stopped and the guy said he wanted $2,500. I decided I would wait a week and give him a cash offer of $1,000. When I got there and looked of the truck, I was willing to pay $1,500 once again, but I just simply asked, "I have $800 cash and a trailer to haul it home with right now... Will you take it?", and that was the entire negotiation. Neither guy knew they left money on the table.

Start absurdly low... Do not worry about hurting feelings. My mother told me a long time, the first person to say a serious number on a negotiation, loses. No truer words have I found in this situation.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:50 AM
Mickey Bitsko
More Turbo
Originally Posted by march
Of course it "depends" on a lot of factors. Actual condition, number of trucks in that condition in your area, motivation of the seller, etc. I'll mention that Ford only built the SC 4X4 combo for the last two years of the dentside, so they're a little harder to find.

This one recently went for 6900 on e-bay.

Cosmetically the same as the one I'n considering. On C/L this morn a listing..
78' scsb 2wd, little chrome on the engine reupholstered seat straight body and paint really nothing special...$9600..good luck I say

Quick Reply: Need opinions please...