1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

WooHoo

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 03:51 PM
Shadowrider123
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
WooHoo

After some conversation with the misses we made the commitment today.

A local shop is going to do paint and bodywork on our 66 LB for $6,500. That includes removing the bed to paint behind the cab and a color change from Rangoon Red/Wimbledon White to Arcadian Blue/Wimbledon White.

I spoke with Carolina Classics today and they should have new CC moldings in about 90 days.

Im ordering a 64 core support and Im going to drop it off at a shop with my rusty 66 support and have them figure out how to make it work. Ive put way to many hours into looking for a good 66 support. They are few and far between right now.

As soon as I replace the core support Im dropping the truck off for paint. He says 90 days for the job.

How heavy is the styleside long bed?

I would like to pull the bed before I drop it off and POR15 the underside. Im wondering if me and a couple guys can turn it over without crushing it.

Old 07-02-2014, 04:14 PM
ridealong34
Mountain Pass
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I think $6500.00 is a good deal on a pro paint job with a color change. If this truck will be a keeper I would make sure that the shop seals the bare metal with a good epoxy primer. Shops sometime make shortcuts unless you specify what materials you want used.

I have tried contacting C.C. several times about their 65-66 trim. How did you get ahold of them? Call or email?

Jason

Old 07-02-2014, 04:34 PM
Shadowrider123
Posting Guru
I called. They are in the process of making the trim now, he said it would be ready to ship in about 90 days.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:47 PM
shortwide
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's awesome...I'm happy for you.

I know you've been working this over in your head for some time.

(We reserve the right to demand photos once you have it back and are assembling it!)

Old 07-03-2014, 05:45 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by ridealong34
I think $6500.00 is a good deal on a pro paint job with a color change. If this truck will be a keeper I would make sure that the shop seals the bare metal with a good epoxy primer. Shops sometime make shortcuts unless you specify what materials you want used.

I have tried contacting C.C. several times about their 65-66 trim. How did you get ahold of them? Call or email?

Jason
Jason, Call Rick 8-5 Eastern on his 800-598-4211, if you get voice message leave your name & call back back info. Sounds like you have not.

John

Old 07-03-2014, 10:25 AM
shortwide
Elder User
Originally Posted by Shadowrider123

I would like to pull the bed before I drop it off and POR15 the underside. Im wondering if me and a couple guys can turn it over without crushing it.
Pulled a longbox off of an early 80's Chevy one time.

It took four of us....one on each corner. I think with three, we would've hurt ourselves (and the bed).

Old 07-03-2014, 05:39 PM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

I have removed several beds by myself. Once you unbolt it slide it backwards, lay some kind of quilt on the ground, raise the front and stand it up on it's end. As long as it stays on the protective material it will not get scratched. I have pulled them and rock-walked them 15-20 ft with no damage.

John

Old 07-03-2014, 09:58 PM
Shadowrider123
Posting Guru
Im having a tough time with this project.

I figure $6500 for the paint and body work, or more if he finds Swiss cheese anywhere.

Another $3500 for CC side moldings, grill, bumpers, windshield, and all the other misc exterior trim.

Another $2500 for the interior.

That's $12500 + the $3500 I paid for the truck and I have not touched the engine or tranny.

I see lots of nice 65/66 F100s that have an asking price of 15-20k, and they end up selling for 10-11k.

Is it worth spending 20k on this truck when I know that I will be lucky to get 1/2 back when its time to sell?

As a comparison, Ive owned a few 65-67 Mustangs and I usually get 75-85% back what I spend on them.

Old 07-04-2014, 08:03 AM
schoo
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I figure $6500 for the paint and body work, or more if he finds Swiss cheese anywhere.

Another $3500 for CC side moldings, grill, bumpers, windshield, and all the other misc exterior trim.

That's $12500 + the $3500 I paid for the truck and I have not touched the engine or tranny.

I see lots of nice 65/66 F100s that have an asking price of 15-20k, and they end up selling for 10-11k.

Is it worth spending 20k on this truck when I know that I will be lucky to get 1/2 back when its time to sell?

As a comparison, Ive owned a few 65-67 Mustangs and I usually get 75-85% back what I spend on them.
I think that is a close estimate this hobby is a costly one but so is golf and not as many people like trucks if you all the work your self you could save maybe half the cost?

Old 07-04-2014, 08:05 AM
schoo
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I think that is a close estimate this hobby is a costly one but so is golf and not as many people like trucks if you do all the work your self you could save maybe half the cost?

Old 07-04-2014, 08:22 AM
gangstakr
Logistics Pro
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
If your only doing it for resale, then you have money to burn. Bringing it back to original or close to, costs a lot as you have found out.
I have over $26,000.00 invested in my truck. That's parts and labor. And it wasn't a frame off build. (Custom work costs money)
In order to make money on these trucks you have to be able to do 90% of the work. Get most parts from wrecking yards and be able to fix and straighten moldings, grille and sheet metal. Doing it all yourself your not paying for labor. If you keep track of your time and total it up when finished, you'll have xxxx number of hours. Once you sell the truck, you'll discover your time was worth $0.10 per hour. Don't keep track of your hours.
I've been working on mine for over 10 years, it will never be for sale while I'm alive. When I pass, I'm sure my daughter will keep it, if she decides to sell it, she'll get good money for it. Not what I have invested, but good money for her.

Old 07-04-2014, 08:44 AM
shortwide
Elder User
If you're looking at resale value, then yeah, you're probably gonna be in the hole....today.

If you're talking about selling it in the future, then who knows how much it'll appreciate in value.

I've done all the work on the frame-off on my 54 Ford and I still doubt that I'd get all my money back if I sold it. I won't ever sell it, but still.

I have made money on cars in this hobby by doing the following things though:
- buying someone's unfinished project at a steep discount (because they gave up on it and wanted it gone), then putting it in running/driving condition.
- buying an unmolested solid original that has been sitting and needed going through....going through it, putting it in running/driving condition
- buying a solid vehicle with a blown engine or with no engine/trans.....and sticking in a used powertrain.

I've known guys with fat wallets who've bought finished restorations and then held them for years and resold and made a lot of money, but I've never had the money to play in that league.

As far as paying commercial rates for a professional restoration....you'd better do it because you love the vehicle and want to keep it for years, because you're rarely going to get your money back.

Old 07-04-2014, 09:19 AM
Shadowrider123
Posting Guru
Its not about making money, its about making a wise investment decision.

Ive got $4500 in the truck as it sits, TTL costs me $26 a year, insurance another $200 a year. I have used it as my DD for three years, so it has been a good investment.

I have $11,300 in the 65 Mustang, I can sell it for that +, another good investment.

I don't see how I can spend the money on the truck and not end up losing 1/2 my investment. The market is very small and despite what people claim, most of these trucks are stuck in the 10-11k price range as far as what they are actually selling for.

I do as much work as I can, paint and body is best left to those with the tools and skills to do it right. I can do it in my driveway, but it will look like a driveway paint job and that hurts value.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:17 AM
Shadowrider123
Posting Guru
Ive also been watching ebay pretty close.

The same trucks have been for sale for months. No one bids or they don't meet the reserve and the seller keeps relisting them.

That's telling me that the market is soft and these trucks do not bring the money people think they should bring.

The buyer sets the value by what they are willing to pay, not the seller by the asking price.

Im trying to be realistic and not let emotion dictate how much I spend on the truck.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:50 AM
gangstakr
Logistics Pro
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
"Investment" is about making money, no matter how you slice it.
When you put "I bought my truck for $3500.00 if I put $10,000.00 into it, I might be able to sell it for $3500.00" your signature, you were pretty close to the truth.
How long are you willing to sit on your "Investment"?
Just like owning stocks, buy low sell high, right?
That's if you can afford to sit on it. If I sell the stocks I have right now at today's value, I lose money. If I sell next week, I break even. If I sell next month I make money. If I wait to long I lose everything. Or I'm mega rich. Who knows what the value of something is going to be? If we knew that we'd all be rich.

When it comes to these trucks, depends on how much someone is willing to buy it for.

In the mean time fix them up to enjoy. Don't do things to it that will attract only limited buyers. (ugly flames, pink paint job or accessories beyond visual capacity) do it tastefully and your investment may payoff in the future.
Bottom line, fix it up to enjoy.

Quick Reply: WooHoo